New Haarlem

About New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Bond No. 9
Maurice Roucel

From the Bond No. 9 press release:

What more fitting locale than Harlem, legendary for its on-the-edge verve, to riff on our lush, lingering, intoxicating brew of bergamot, cedarwood, coffee, vanilla, patchouli, and lavender? If George Gershwin had been a perfumer, these are the notes he'd have used for this burnished perfume rhapsody. A stunning about-face after the light splash-scents of the past decade, New Haarlem captures the out-on-the-town elegance and the proud, bold independence of one of the great neighborhoods of New York–--and the world. It's also our entre nous way of thanking the rap musicians and rock artists who've come downtown to buy Bond No. 9's original fragrances. With New Haarlem, Bond No. 9 returns the favor.

Reviews of New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

There are 132 reviews of New Haarlem by Bond No. 9.

Beautifully complex fragrance.

Perfect for the autumn and winter; on me, this is a close-to-the skin fragrance, which would be great for interacting with people in close quarters ;) One gets a warm, fuzzy feeling smelling this fragrance so I can imagine being curled up with company by the fireplace on a cold night.

I don't get that much of a coffee note from this, rather a syrupy sweet - quite medicinal - scent with vanilla/tonka undertones and hint of cinnamon. It certainly does not smell like freshly ground coffee to me; a milky, overly sweet cup of coffee if anything.

Oct 27, 2021

Just got a bottle of this hard to find juice and WOW I'm blown away. Being a huge Roucel fan to begin with, I was fairly certain I'd love it. I get slight coffee, burnt sugar, caramel, and maple syrup balanced with lavender and woods. The lavender and woods keep it grounded and almost masculine even though it has so many gourmand notes. An absolute stunner and one of Roucel's best in my opinion.
Jun 17, 2020

I love coffee..but this..this is 3 sprays of headache. You wanna headache? It gets cloying and over the top in no time. Spray more than 3 to get a stuffing migraine. The coffee is on the last part..too subtle and stick close to skin..nobody will notice it. And the coffee isnt like real coffee at all..its like a simulation that doesnt work. Dont blind buy this. Not for everyone.
Dec 18, 2019

I love maple syrup. The idea of a fragrance that smells like pancakes and coffee sounded amazing to me, so I knew I had to give this a try. And to be honest, it doesn't disappoint. It's a lovely scent.

I don't know if the performance is quite as strong as some make it out to be. Upon reading that it was pretty nuclear I skimped a bit on my spraying to eke another wearing or two out of my sample. I put a spritz (from a small 1ml sample) on each wrist and one on the neck. It doesn't project too strongly, the longevity is there, but on me it seems to sit pretty close to the skin. I don't mind terribly as I find myself going back to sniff at my wrist periodically throughout the day.

My biggest grievance is that they took this one away now that I love it! The only bottles I see available are on Amazon and most of the Ebay decanters have sketchy (ie. seemingly fake positive) reviews. I managed to order a 10ml from a seemingly legit decanting website. I'll have to see for sure if it's the real deal once it comes in.
Aug 30, 2019

Amazing!!

I will state for the record that I an not a massive fan of the house of Bond. NH is most definitely the exception. Amazing gourmand with memories of coffee, syrup, sugar and the likes. Great staying power and although a gourmand it still gives off quite a classy vibe.

Alongside Pure Tonka, this is my favorite full on gourmand. The only issue I have is that Pure Tonka smells so similar to NH that it is hard to justify the price especially as NH as now been discontinued pushing prices even higher.
May 4, 2019

When you don't overspray, it's so soothing. 8 hours later, you still know it's there. An urban gourmand, reminding you that no matter how busy a city street can be in the morning, a good coffee shop is always a calming place, a retreat. Sure, when you hear "lavender coffee" you could imagine some kind of hipster barista drink. Quite not the case. In fact, with New Haarlem I could never imagine something eatabble or drinkable, although the notes are technically there. More like the air of it: Starbucks on a busy corner, an experience both solitary and shared, serene and upliftng at the same time.
Jan 29, 2019

Show more reviews of New Haarlem...

Add your review of New Haarlem