Music For a While
Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle (2018)

Overall

About Music For a While by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Carlos Benaim
IFF

Reviews of Music For a While by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

There are 15 reviews of Music For a While by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle.

The opening blast combines a bight and somewhat crisp patchouli with a spicy pineapple impression. The patchouli carries brief undertones of citrus, is a bit peppery but lacks any harshness, and the pineapple is a bit excessive in a mundane laboratory-feel that reminds me of butyric-acid at times; both together create an impression that has an unusual and quite original touch. Soon a pleasant lavender arrives and merges with the rest quite seamlessly; it adds a green-ish touch.

Whilst the mix was not sweet so far, the addition of a vanilla-caramel dyad sweetens it considerably, and later it transiently becomes rather sugary. The sweetness is reduced with time, and morphs into a fruitcake-like note later on.

I get moderate sillage, good projection, and 5 hours of longevity on my skin.

A interesting and quirky, bright scent for cooler summer days, which has some unexpected features - I mean that in a positive scents - yet there a some times where it is rather generic and overly synthetic. A mixed impression, but not boring. 2.75/5
Jul 31, 2021

Lavender, pineapple, patchouly...interesting concept, but the result is a quite boring and somewhat incomplete scent... not a great perfomance!
Jun 26, 2021

After a basic first try I am changing my mind...I like after initial blast, then scents shift and it's less intense. Think this one will take some time to decide. The blend does change flawlessly from form to form, orchestrated rather than lurching.Wore it again today around the house (COVID). The longevity is amazing, and I don't find either the notes or drydown at all discordant; just unexpected. I am only a perfume fan, and wear what smells interesting and good to me. At this price point, i won't be buying it, but it was a fun fling! Am liking it more as I try it.
Oct 31, 2020

I absolutely love the pineapple note. However, I am one of the few that can't stand lavender.
I wore this multiple times and loved it until the lavender showed it's face.
Fantastic scent and construction, thus the reason for the thumbs up. Just not for me.
May 29, 2020

Opens very intensely with fruits that are both spicy, fresh, sweet and sour. If sniffing your skin/clothes up close during the initial hour or two you might be disappointed and some horrified - the scent cloud is much softer. Intense and invigorating opening. Almost medicinal - I think the patchouli and lavender is very noticeable from the beginning. Personally I love this initial 1-2 hours, especially in the (Swedish) summer.

The change as it develops is that it becomes much more appeasing and softer. That almost medicinal blast to your face is gone. It becomes more about the lavender. Yet the fruity parts become more about dry spicy fruit, like biting into a clementine peel or the "greener" parts of a fruit (or even biting into a piece of lavender). Sweetness and sourness sticks around.

All-in-all it's a strange combination of things. The mood of this perfume to me is anything from relaxed and sensual (almost too soft for what some men would consider) to bracing dry and masculine, and each wear gives me a slightly different impression.

What's I find exiting is how it combines some of these opposites - like the sour and the sweet. I don't find it overly sweet, but it does have one part of sweetness very strongly: the kind that's near sour or the the sort of dry feeling in ones mouth after eating pure sugar. The kind of sweetness in Etro's Heliotrope is sort of similar in that it's not obviously sweet to me, but it's also (or rather) quite sharp. Someone said glue about that one. With Music for a while I'd be tempted to say it smells a little bit like bleach. I think some musks contribute nicely to this bleach impression, and to the spoonful of sugar in the mouth feeling, as this sour or sweet dry feeling in my mouth reminds me of e.g. Perfumerie generale Le Musc et la Peau 4.1 or even Musc koublai khan (totally different scents).

This is a very approachable fragrance if you can bear the opening. Excellent longevity, sillage/projection is good.
Apr 20, 2020

Music for a While opens with a brief blast of sharp citric bergamot before quickly transitioning to its heart. As the composition reaches it early heart, the bergamot vacates, as a very strong rotting pineapple fruit accord joins slightly sweet, caramelized aromatic lavender as co-stars with rugged patchouli support. During the late dry-down the composition stays relatively linear, as the rotting aspect of the pineapple recedes, leaving remnants of the pineapple and the now softened, sweetened caramelized lavender and patchouli the focus through the finish. Projection is excellent, as is longevity at 11-12 hours on skin.

This composition is horrific smelling, and the worst perfume to date in a generally otherwise strong Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle stable. I hate to be so blunt, but I honestly have no idea who Malle is trying to appeal to with Music for a While. The rotting pineapple fruit accord has underlying elements of hard leather and even Oud to some degree... It-doesn't-work-at-all. When coupled with the slightly off-kilter aromatic lavender that is not too far off from my (nightmarish) memory of a similar lavender used in the also horrific smelling Sunshine Man by Amouage, you have just about as bad a combination as possible (and let's not even get into the added sugary sweetness). The odd lavender and rotting fruit will generally not appeal to fruity composition lovers as it is too off-putting for most of their tastes, vintage and classically structured perfume lovers like me will want to run a mile, the gourmand aspects are not gourmand enough to appeal to those fans, and sweetness-averse customers will also steer well-clear, only leaving oddball modern perfume fans who might be interested to some degree but will find other perfumes more appealing. I wish I had something I could say that is positive about the composition, but even its excellent performance metrics in this case are a negative, as one wants the stench off their skin in record time; too bad Music for a While doesn't comply. It truly saddens me that the master perfumer behind one of the best perfumes ever created in Polo, Carlos Benaim, has sunk to depths this low, even under Malle's usually stellar direction. The bottom line is the $330 per 100ml bottle Music for a While is a failure on every level imaginable, appealing to seemingly no one, earning it a "poor" to "very poor" 1 to 1.5 stars out of 5, and as strong an avoid recommendation as I can muster. "Torture for a While" is a more apt title to this fatally-flawed "composition."
Feb 28, 2020

Show more reviews of Music For a While...

Add your review of Music For a While