Muscs Koublaï Khän
Serge Lutens (1998)

Overall

About Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens

Reviews of Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens

There are 156 reviews of Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens.

I tried Muscs Kublai Khan for the first time at the end of a two-day, time-warping post-covid shot fever. I'm pretty sensitive to fragrance and my choice to whiff this seems tough to explain since I was in such a delicate space. Trying fragrances is a bit of a roulette scenario for me since I'm prone to migraines triggered by odors and light, I don't do it super often. I was compelled by something.

Maybe I was seeking the sense of having another body close to mine? I live with my partner, dog, and two cats who are all very snuggly... so I'm talking super close and up in my nostrils and lungs, in my skin. Perhaps I sought an ultimate swaddle to comfort me in my weakness? Or maybe I wanted a little treat of an experience after those mind-numbing days.

This fragrance is a lot prettier and floral/sweet than I had hoped it would be, but it does have some body to it. The musk is clean. I barely sensed civet. I think I had been hoping for something at least slightly offensive based on what I'd read, but mostly I smell like a washed and lightly perfumed deadhead. I like it, deadheads have always been kind to me. I will finish my decant, and I'd snag a mostly used bottle if one popped up since they look cool. I am a bit sad that I've discovered I want to smell and wear fragrances that smell like various asses, but I gotta follow my heart. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 9, 2021

The first time I tried MKK, I didn't dislike it so much as respond, "That's it?" It seemed innocent and monochromatic.

The second time time around, I'm understanding it more. The musk has a funkier character that I perceived last time, which I'm enjoying. It still seems linear and narrow in its palette–it seems to go straight to the base notes and stay there–but I'm smelling more complexity within that range. MKK flirts with offense, but ultimately doesn't "go there." It's a bad boy without a criminal record. So, sexy but not sleazy.

I'd be more inclined toward a FB of something that works more territory than MKK's patch of dirt, but if I had a bottle, I wouldn't give it away.
Sep 14, 2021

I was really surprised with this one. It is really much prettier than I thought it would be. The wild imagery that is thrown around with this as a crazy dirty smell are not what I get from it. First and foremost here, I get musk. Lots of musk. I feel that I must just read musks as clean, because this being regarded as a dirtier one, I still think it smells pretty clean. There is something creeping unseen in the distant back that could possibly be the skankyness, I'm having a hard time pinpointing it. 4 hours in it is still readily apparent on my skin. I do get wafts occasionally. I feel like it is very powdery and clean at this stage. Like baby powder. Such a clean and innocent smell juxtaposed against the musk, that others read as naughty I would think would be a beautiful combo. I find this to be a really nice scent. Very sweet, and I don't mean like candy or sugar, but sweet lik an innocent baby. Nicely blended. I cannot comment on the vintage, but if the histrionics online are true this one has been neutered. Still a good scent, but not worth the price tag IMO.
Jan 31, 2019

I just love this one. Brings back memories of the 70's. It is just the perfect combo of civet, labdanum, amber, ambrette, patchouli, musk, and vanilla, on my skin. I don't smell any cumin - thank God. This overall, smells like a powdery sweet scent. Nothing skanky, do I smell.
Aug 28, 2018

If you look for a strong musk civet fragrance this is it.
Not for everyone not everywhere, though.
Strong personality, protagonist, If you can dress it the place it's ok and the people around the good one this is one of the best scents ever.
Otherwise it can result heavy and inappropriate.
I don't agree with other opinions about stinking fecal etc.

I like it but I guess I could dress it once a year.
Feb 27, 2018

I consider Muscs Koublaï Khan to be a well done basic musk, that is versatile and engaging. It is rather straightforward to me - musk and florals. The musk is fresh but sensuous, with a touch of civet and castoreum that lend an animalic touch - clean but slightly edgy. I perceive a subdued note of rose that effortlessly blends in with the musk, and even complements it. I do not detect any spices or woods or leather - MKK has a solid focus on the musk with minimal distraction. I find sillage to be close but persistent, and duration to be over six hours on skin based on a generous application.

MKK is one of those simple fragrances done right with quality materials, and a few notches above the standard fare in terms of execution. For anyone familiar with Kiehl's Musk, which is fresh and summery, MKK can be imagined to be a slightly heavier autumnal version of Kiehl's. While overpriced for what it is, MKK is a must try for anyone looking for a robust musk fragrance for everyday use that is interesting, and becomes a second skin to the wearer.

3.5/5
Sep 17, 2017

Show more reviews of Muscs Koublaï Khän...

Add your review of Muscs Koublaï Khän