Positive Reviews of Musc Ravageur
Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle (2000)

Overall

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Add your review of Musc Ravageur

Reviews of Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

One of the strongest first impressions i've had to any fragrance. Absolutely unique, yet completely wearable, while being artistic. At the end, i get an old man smell, but other than that i love this thing, and im pretty sure i will soon get used to that old man smelling base. A legend for ages!

I tried this originally in around 2010 when it was all the rage as one of the "must have" clubber scents. It just didn't click with me.

Fast forward 10 years and into retirement. Some of my tastes have changed. Kind of got a weird urge to try it again so went with a small decant. Love it now.

I suppose at my age I have no business wearing such an overtly sensual scent, but screw it.

It sits nicely on the brink of musky, sweet, vanilla, spicey. Nice dry down and nice longevity.

A great "looking for trouble" frag even if you're too old for trouble.

Sample obtained new in 2019 - so new stuff.

Not what I was expecting. Somehow I was ready for a rough animalic. Insofar as this is animalic it is like the smell of a new born baby, soft and clean, edible.

Notes I pick up include clove, (dirty) vanilla, lavender, clean musks. The combination almost goes gourmand with a burnt caramel (worthers original) dry down.

All the notes combine to create a fuzzy aura. Yes this is fuzzy logic in scent form, existing in the in-between. Somehow incoherently cozy. Evoking a foggy day in a quality thick fair isle jumper.

This works very close to the skin so projection is limited but longevity seems decent. Dry down is quite syruppy / powdery and can remind me of tea-for-two, eau duelle even Heritage or Prada Amber but nonetheless a uniquely realized concept

Original:
Today was the one I was most excited for. Musc Ravageur. I put this on about 7 hours ago. I could smell it for a while, but it seems to have settled into a skin scent. I don't feel I'm beastly screaming the scent at everyone around, but it is very pleasant. I love the smell of musk, but I just worry that it feels a bit feminine to me. My mother wore Jovan Musk all her life, and when I smell musk, it seems to remind me of that. My wife said "Oh, vanilla." when she smelled it. I asked her if she read it as feminine, and she said she didn't. It does seem to be pretty straight forward vanilla clove cinnamon musk. It is a bit softer than I would have guessed. Less edges. Really really smooth. At this point it seems to be mainly the musk that I smell.

Supplemental: This scent really leaves an impression. Of all the scents I have samples of, I think I have consistently gone back to this one most of all. Really amazing that this is more of a musk accord than anything else. Applause.

Musc Ravageur (2000) is an interesting and very successful attempt at making musk without a typical white musk molecule, removing the "laundry" aspect of most modern musks and creating something oriental, fatty, and animalic like the musks of old. Having smelled deer musk, this is by no means that kind of smell via vegetal proxy, but it is a wonderfully sensual musk in it's own right, full of the loudness and performance all the "beastmode" power fragrance fans crave. Due to it's aggressive nature, Musc Ravageur leans very much male, despite being genderless in composition, and this is due to sociological conventions. The average self-identified CISHET woman would likely find Musc Ravageur too rich, overtly-sexual, and lacking subtlety; that's not to say there aren't some ladies who love headstrong fragrances (they were the rage in the 70's and 80's, with fragrance gender lines blissfully blurred back then because of it), but on average, strait guys looking to troll for dates at clubs and bars seem the likeliest purchasers of Musc Ravageur. The biggest obstacle to this being made reality however, is the prestige price point of the average Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle composition, which rival Creed at MSRP and keep Musc Ravageur from stalking all but the most exclusive night clubs. The notoriety of Musc Ravageur is also a bit undeserved, as it's not the horniest animal in the woods, with stuff like Kiehl's Original Musk (1963) or Serge Lutens Muscs Koublaï Khän (1998) flogging it senseless in the virility department, for those who care about such things.

It's probably for the best that only the "upward mobility" segment would dare drop cash for this, because I can see Musc Ravageur becoming suffocating in the way Jovan Musk for Men (1973) used to be due to it's former ubiquity in social settings. Malle making this a pricey rare bird ensures that instead, Musc Ravageur is always a pleasant, if provocative surprise when encountered in the wild. Technically speaking, Musc Ravageur is an oriental, and not a musk, since it contains none, but the immense impression of musk it leaves is far better than most things containing the actual molecule. Lavender and bergamot are very expectantly the top here, but in moments they give way to a huge clove and cinnamon tandem that is the heart and shapes the rest of the experience. If you don't like either of these in abundance, then Musc Ravageur is not for you. Heaps of vanilla and tonka in the base do the rest to shape the "musk" accord of Musc Ravageur, flanked by woods like cedar and sandal which dry it up just enough to keep it from smelling like dessert, which it almost does anyway. Gaiac wood and linalool add the final touch of woodsy floral spiciness which "browns out" the dry down of Musc Ravageur to an aura of thick bakery spice and sweat combined with an aromatic untreated wood finish. Sillage and projection are on levels you'd need Neil DeGrasse Tyson to figure out, and longevity is "until you wash it off" levels of good. I'm saying all this from just 2 sprays, so if nothing else, Musc Ravageur may actually be worth it's price just for sheer performance, and a 100ml/3.4oz bottle of this should provide a lifetime of bakery meets jock strap next to a lumber yard ambiance.

I like Musc Ravageur, but similar to most scents in this category, I don't see myself aligning with the Type-A personality and blunt intent needed to enjoy what this offers more than once or twice a year, meaning that for me, this isn't a full bottle purchase. I do give this a thumbs-up as one of the better musks in the game (even if it doesn't contain a musk molecule), and certainly one of the few Frédéric Malle releases that doesn't feel like an outright fleecing for its price tag, since performance is even greater than what the usually-impressive Creed ambergris bases offer (for comparison), with a drydown of spice-laden vanilla and tonka that never ends. Penhaligon's Endymion (2003) would offer a lighter, more manageable version of this experience, with much less projection and a more finite lifespan, at less than half the cost to boot, so if you feel Musc Ravageur is a bit too much, then that is the route to take. As for everyone else, if you're looking for a high-end, over-the-top sweaty oriental cream chowder parading around as a funky musk, this is the dog that'll hunt, just be kind with your sprays, as a little goes a very long way. Keep this one to winter time and do not torture your coworkers by showing up to the office smelling like a musky husky pretty please, although if you work outside, I guess it's okay to wear, I just definitely see this as a fragrance meant to help you "score". Some say original 2000 vintage is even stronger than the better-mannered new production I'm smelling, and that's a legend I frankly don't want to test. Hats off to Maurice Roucel, you got us real good with this one, and you would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids and their dog.

I have the reformulated version, and I swear, if the rumors are true, I would have set the world on FIRE had I sprayed the original! This is some serious "beast-mode" (to pull from the forums and FB groups) stuff, and I'm just a girl (giving props to Gwen), and NO! I cannot pull this off!

Holy MOLY! What in the name of Batman's left toenail is happening here?! This is like everything "the guys" say they want: massive sillage, longevity and sexuality...

I am amazed that Victoria's Secret hasn't found a way to carry this in their little shops. Here! Have a thong and some MR, and you're all set for your after dinner plans!

WOW! Just...WOW!

I'm going to give it a thumbs UP - but ONLY because it really commits to its legendary status. I didn't know...I just...didn't...know.

An interesting option for those who find Jicky too sedate.

Manao tupapau (The Spirit of the Dead Keep Watch) by Paul Gauguin

11.

Thou SHALT respect THE
Plastic cinnamon diapers
But SHALT NOT wear them.

This is a fragrance of the very top drawer.

I am 17 years late to the party. That is my loss.

There is something very sexual about Musc Ravageur. While marketed as unisex I really see this as a male fragrance. To me, this fragrance represents a man who is confident in all aspects of his life. There is an air of arrogance about it. It is unique and you will almost certainly stand out from the crowd. I think this would work better on a man aged 30+. One of my new (but old) favorites. Totally addictive and extremely sensual. Both shocking and opulent. Just fantastic!!!!

It's impressive what perfumers can do. They don't always bottle what they say they are or they can create an effect, an accord.

One such example is Musc Ravageur. You'd be forgiven for thinking this has musk in it, or even any of the dodgy associations some have suggested the opening of this scent contains.

Ultimately, the effect the lavender/bergamot combo creates in the opening, combined with the spices of cinnamon and clove (in true Malle style) from the heart, it's very easy to mistake Musc Ravageur for a musk or animalic powerhouse. Yet it is what it is. And to the untrained nose it's easy to be fooled into thinking there is nothing there.

This is a true gourmand. Slightly powdery, ambery (vanilla & tonka bean dry down), spicy and long-lasting projection monster. Fans of Egoiste should take note as this has a structure that's surprisingly similar. It isn't a replica by any means, but the similarities are hard to ignore.

It definitely projects but doesn't get cloying if you know how much to use. Less is clearly more with Musc Ravageur. Don't be tempted to over spray unless you want to head for the shower later on.

All in all the fougere comparison is also justified as it ticks all the boxes, but the added spice and 'harsher' smelling opening make it far from a traditional aromatic fougere.

Expect this to last for weeks on clothes and fabrics from any version. So be sure not to wear the same clothes with another scent the next day as you'll still smell of Musc Ravageur!

In its current state, Musc Ravageur smells to me mostly like a classic fougere, lavender over powdery tonka, with some poopy, plasticky musk underneath and a touch of cinnamon and sawdusty sandalwood in the background and a shot of vanilla for sweetness. It's perfectly nice, like Caron's Pour Un Homme with some gourmand elements thrown in.

It should be said that, when I compare my new sample with one from about 10 years ago, there's a rather striking difference. While the current version is fine, the old formula has everything the new has, but is also resplendent with warm honey, funky rum, burnished woods, and pie spices, and has the animalics turned up to match their richer surroundings. I think the old version is required sniffing if you can find an old sample, the kind in the red card.

The musc I get from beginning to. Initially freshened up by a traditional-style bergamot, but soon the sweeter stages commence, with a pleasant cinnamon that has a slightly spicy undertone.

The base denotes the complete surrender to the sweeter desires, when rhe musk is enveloped in a shell of sweet tonka richness, with, at times somewhat generic, woodsy undertones - mainly cedar on me - in the background.

The sillage is strong, the projection superb and the longevity a sensational fifteen hours on my skin.

Whilst no longer the wild beauty of yesteryear's original version, this remains to be a deliciously scrumptious wintery gourmand musc creation. There is no pretense of delicacy here. With thick and heavy brushstrokes a voluptuous and velvety fragrance is born, an unpretentious and direct, and at times full-on, vivid olfactory desert is served. This product displays sensationally stellar performance. 3.25/5.

A fantastic spicy, musky, creamy,powdery vanillic fragrance.

This has been one of my all time favorite fragrances for many years. It starts off with some citrus along with cloves and cinnamon. the cloves starts to decrease leaving room for the cinnamon, musk, Tonka and vanilla to take over and transform the smell into a border-line gourmand .it is also powdery. I don't find this fragrance particularly dirty or anything like that.
Performance is excellent on older batches. both 2009 and 2014.

9.2/10

The name I've associated with the house of Frederic Malle while becoming interested in fragrances is undoubtedly Musc Ravageur, yet I've managed to not try it out for two years until today.

Musc Ravageur seems like it has a heavy dose of labdanum, despite the note's absence from the composition. Otherwise, it opens with lavender, has a heart dominated by cloves, finishing with a lot of powdery tonka. I find that the sharpness of the lavender in the opening outweighs the powdery aspect of the tonka in the

Performance is solid, so even if you love this, it's wise to manage application carefully, as it's on the high-end of EDPs in terms of both projection and longevity.

It's in the same vein as a much superior fragrance like Chanel Coromandel in that both smell of cosmetics/makeup (as do Dior Homme Intense and Chanel Egoiste, to my nose), but Music Ravageur falls a little short in the composition in that it leans toward the "old person" scent in a less desirable way.

It's not bad at all---I quite like it---but I have already found superior alternatives that are more affordable, the most notable of which is the abovementioned Chanel Coromandel.

Pricing is pretty prohibitive if you don't really love it, at retail (through the Frederic Malle website) of $270 for 100ml or $185 for 50ml.

7 out of 10

Excellent stuff and very complex fragrance. High quality musk accord and cloves done very well. Subtle projection and longevity of about 6 hours is enough for me.
Well done FM!

Excellent quality, projection and longevity. It is the perfect blend of animal, sweet and spice. Very wearable and always garners compliments from the opposite sex...highly recommended, even at the price.

Nothing filthy to this, despite various reviews--either that or my skin just east skanky notes. It's a very good sweet musk scent with floral notes in it. It isn't as dark as SL's MKK, and it certainly doesn't have the skank level of vintage Bal a Versailles parfum. I could wear this anywhere.

This fragrance sneaks right into your underpants and leaves you feeling slightly dirty...and smug about it. Take Satan's gym shorts, and Mick Jagger's sheets. Add a night in a smoky bar in a distant city, some dark red lipstick, and a cab back to your hotel in last nights cocktail dress. It's bad news all the way to it's core...and there is no way to resist it. After two hours, it's a skin scent...but you catch a whiff, and you'll remember last night's heathen mischief with that bad, bad man.

Now I'm an oddball in perfumery terms - I dislike everything about "classic" masculine scents, the dry, the astringent and the woody. I'm a long way out on the unisex spectrum too, and am willing to wear things a lot of other men would find too challenging. In fact I think what other people describe as "skanky" or "animalic" in perfumery just equates to "warm" in my mental lexicon.

Now what about this stuff? Well, I love it. It doesn't say "dirty" to me at all. I'll agree that it has a certain Barry White edge to it - it's not an office fragrance, nor one I'd wear to a family lunch, but it's a rich aura of living, breathing, heart-still-beating aliveness. It's not by any means a slutty reek of "shove me up against the nearest wall" (not that I won't be looking out for a scent like that to add to my collection too). Something in the heart of this - I think the clove and cinnamon - is a dead ringer for Estee Lauder's Youth Dew (a favourite of my beloved grandma's), which makes it a comfort scent for me as well. It's rich and heady and warm, projects beautifully, but nowhere near as overwhelming as a powerhouse like Youth Dew.

Its longevity is jaw-dropping. It's still detectable after 36 hours and two showers, which I guess just shows you that Mother Nature goes all out to promote reproduction. Well, tell us something we didn't already know.

In conclusion? I happen to be a pagan, and the part of me that hates how uptight we are about sex in this society and would welcome a return to thinking of it as just something we human animals do is utterly delighted by this scent. However, the part of me that is well aware how quick others around me are to judge based on arbitrary and petty things also advises using with a degree of caution in the wild...

I love oriental, vanilla, and spice fragrances. However, I put off testing this because I thought it may be too masculine (even though it is listed for both male and female).

I love this! It is warm without being sugary sweet, and the cinnamon is fairly potent on me. It has a similar feel to Hermessence Ambre Narguile but without the strong gourmand presence.

Deliciously weird stuff!MUSC RAVAGEUR is definitely one of the sexiest unisex perfume i've ever experienced.a unique, oriental and mysterious scent will grab your attention might miss its mark for unisex appeal,this is a winner.it makes for a sensual experience that tingles your intelligence as much as your sweet tooth.sensual and sexy in a classy way.more than two sprays of this will land you in trouble,so be very careful when applying.sweet,hot, provocative, irresistible,sophisticated, strong, rich and attractive.

This should definitely give you a shock when you first try the fragrance,after marveling at how unusual this opening is,you'll soon notice cinnamon in the heart.the notes turn sweeter and warm by vanilla and amber.the result for men is a very good evening getter for the ladies.intrigues woman that walk near you and leaves a unique lasting impression and the result for women is a sexy smell that just makes she want to bury her head in his neck and take a deep breath.yes an absolutely winner in both the men and ladies.perfect for a hot winter night.

Musc Ravageur is a big ole sex musk with a leer on its face. Luca Turin says it's more flashy than good, and I'd agree, but then again, I don't think Musc Ravageur takes itself all that seriously to begin with. It's a musk with bedroom eyes and an Adam's apple.

The more I wear it, the more I think of it as the male equivalent of Shalimar. It's a big-boned oriental at heart, a crude, deconstructed version of the older versions of Shalimar extrait – all rude body musks, thick vanilla, and butter-like tonka. Objectionably rich, and quite pungent in parts.

Even the top notes of Musc Ravageur share a certain barbershoppy feel with Shalimar: in Musc Ravageur, it's lavender and cloves, and in Shalimar, it's something like herbes de Provence (thyme?). Perhaps that's why so many men find the opening challenging – the pungent spices, dirty musk, and sweet vanilla churning their stomachs in a way they can't handle.

But I'm a Shalimar girl all the way, baby, so this is familiar territory for me. People either hate the opening and love the dry down, or wish that the rough opening would last all the way through – me, I love every part of Musc Ravageur from front to end.

It smells like someone rubbed a vanilla-glazed Cinnabon across the sweaty perineum of a man who hadn't washed for a few days. Hot, sweet, a bit dirty (in a good way). The combination of the rich, sweet vanilla, tonka, and sandalwood in the base is to die for, no matter where you stand on the exact dirtiness of the musk at the start.

I used to think that it was too loud and too dirty for a lady to be wearing outside the house. But then I realized that the Shalimar extrait I wear is pretty dirty and I wear that out of the house all the time. I think I bought into the hype about this being a disgusting, filthy, old-man kind of smell. Now, I just think it's a fabulous gourmand musk/oriental that's both sexy and comfortable. Vulgar? Yeah. Hell yeah! And so what! A bit of vulgarity never hurt nobody.

L de Lolita defined my fear of the gourmand genre. Thick scents of chocolate dessert are coupled with musks and ambers, both of which are known for their fixative properties. Amber 'fixes' the gourmand quality of L de Lolita the way concrete shoes 'set' in a mafia fable before you're thrown in the river.

Wearing L de Lolita could well be a Catholic-school lesson on the sin of gluttony and the threats of eternal hell. The anticipation draws you close, the titilation makes you give in, the satisfaction is the pleasure you've been denied. Then you continue to eat, unable to control yourself, long past the point of nausea and revulsion. Jaques Guerlain gave a seminar on the line between plenty and excess when he took Shalimar close to crème brulée, but then pulled back. The value of gourmand notes is in the suggestion or the temptation, not in the pudding. L de Lolita demonstrates the lesson by failing it and falling into the more-is-better trap.

So if L de Lolita (2006) is a sin against god, does Musc Ravageur (2000) have a more original sin?

I experienced Roucel's trio out of sequence. I first smelled Labdanum 18 (2006), then L de Lolita (2006) and finally Musc Ravageur (2000). I hadn't known that the same perfumer made all three, nor had I known that the two 2006 perfumes were derived from Musc Ravageur. Now I understand who's who, or better, who's the flanker.

Musc Ravageur is the template. The other two variations were made by turning up and down the volume of specific notes of the original. Labdanum 18 skips the aromatic topnotes but overdoses the sweet vanilla and powdery musk. Without the loud aromatic topnotes of Musc Ravageur, Labdanum18 feels listless by comparison, yet is famously le Labo's best seller. If Labdanum was made by subtraction, L de Lolita relies on the addition of chocolate and maple syrup to distinguish itself. The classic vanilla 'oriental' is given the chocolate-steroid treatment and the bergamot topnote of Musc Ravageur is twisted into a candied orange. Piling a maple syrup/imortelle/fenugreek note on top of the chocolate makes L de Lolita a Frankenstein-Gourmand and poster-child for the excesses of gourmand perfumery.

L de Lolita is so egregious that having smelled it a number of times seven years ago it tainted my experience of Musc Ravageur. This week I wore Musc Ravageur for the first time. I wore it three days in a row, haunted by the anticipation of recognition that wouldn't come. While distracted, the flashback to L de Lolita struck me in the gut and having made the connection, there's no turning back.

How might I have experienced Musc Ravageur if I hadn't first been affected by L de Lolita? We all arrive to a perfume with our bags packed, but the recycling of ideas across different lines without marketing the subsequent perfumes as flankers muddies the waters. Maybe I've been damaged by the Lolita perfume association and have made the jump to Nabokov's Lolita. With its effusive barbershop masculine reference and smarmy musky-amber sweetness Musc Ravageur reads like the perfume a stereotypical dirty old man would wear.

(Please don't take my 'kitchen sink' quibble with Musc Ravaguer as a blanket criticism. I'm all for excess in perfumery generally and in Roucel's work specifically. He's used it to great success in Guerlain Insolence, Hermès 24, Faubourg, Missoni by Missoni and Gucci Envy.)

from scenthurdle.com