Muguet des Bois

About Muguet des Bois by Coty

Coty
Henri Robert

Reviews of Muguet des Bois by Coty

There are 15 reviews of Muguet des Bois by Coty.

Regarding my rather hasty question about Coty's Eau de Muguet, 'if neither Coty nor Roudnitska could crack muguet then who will?', the answer is Henri Robert, who created this, one of the few perfumes Jean-Claude Ellena keeps for reference in his private collection.

Muguet des Bois is, in its own small way a chef d'œuvre. A true rendition of Lily of the Valley but not a dry depiction, there is an expressive delicacy about it that raises a rather spare green floral to the level of poetry.

Despite being an old fashioned soliflore, it can still be worn today (by afficionado's at least) in the same retro fashion that you might wear CK One.

(This is not, you understand, the thing for sale in the adverts but a proper vintage splash bottle.)

****
Oct 20, 2017

I got a bottle of Muguet des Bois in a lot of vintage Coty fragrances. I didn't know anything about it, just took the cap off of the bottle and took a small whiff. WHEW! It smelled exactly like, well... beer. I put a little bit on my hand and waited for the alcoholic fumes to fade. Has it gone bad, maybe? To be honest, after wearing it a few times, I still don't know.

What I smell on my skin is very green, ozonic/airy, a bit floral... but hardly detectable. I'm not terribly familiar with Lily of the Valley, but I do smell lilac. I guess that does make it a realistic floral scent, very green with poor projection. Based on other reviews I've read, what I'm smelling is likely legit - but in my opinion, it doesn't match the typical quality of Coty fragrances. I don't know what to make of this one. It's just so strange!
May 10, 2015

The vintage version:
Indeed, the opening is a beautiful lily-of-the-valley note, underscored by a touch of gentle mandarin, lilac and, later in the drydown, jasmine. The base has a pleasant sandalwood character, and the with a touch if white musk and still an echo of white florals.

Definitely a good spring scent. I get moderate sillage, good projection and a splendid longevity on eleven hours.
Mar 5, 2015

To correct the database, this was launched in 1936, not 1942 (reference Barbara Herman's Scent and Subversion). The perfumer was Henri Robert.

It is a light and lilting variation on the true essence of lily of the valley, which in nature tends to be sharp and strong. Mixed with jasmine, rose and cyclamen and resting on sandalwood and musk, this works as a spring and summer scent for women.

It most closely resembles Caswell-Massey's version of Lily of the Valley.

Perfectly nice, but hardly outstanding.
Mar 3, 2014

Top notes: aldehydes, orange, green leaves and bergamot
Middle notes: cyclamen, lilac, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and rose
Base notes: sandalwood and musk

This is a review, mostly, of the vintage EdT, but also layered with a touch of the vintage Parfum Extrait.
The jus is supposed to be a yellow/green color, not brown as the one in the photo.
The vintage bottle I have is the same, I am sure many many vintage versions of this fragrance are floating around.
Anyway, what is going on here? Well, MdB opens on a strong bitter/ green note, with lilac and bergamot, which may take you through WWII era romance. You could find yourself sitting under a tree in a forest, near a lily of the valley patch, wearing a ton of hairspray. This may not be your cup of muguet. Maybe not yet at least.
But, if you give it 20 minutes or so, you will start to get the Bois of MdB, along with some rose, more sandalwood, and more soapy lily. It's very nice. What it is NOT, is a sparkly, silvery or sheer Muguet. This is what I would call a wartime floral, similar to Caron's Muguet de Bonheur, but more with more woods. MdB has enough heft to withstand some times of hardship and desperation. It does transcend them.

I had worn this 2-3 times, but it wasn't until I decanted some out of the enormous, bell-shaped 4 oz EdT splash bottle into a little atomizer that I could experience some of the many other notes listed.

Mar 30, 2012

Somehow a small parfum spray, likely 1980s, appeared on my desk. No cap, dark color, a certain victim of oxidation. I expected the worst...but, despite this, it manages to be absolutely delightful! The alcohol takes a minute or so to blow off, and there is certainly a "boozy" quality thanks to the oxidation, but I still enjoy this deep rosy lily on a velvet background of green woods. I give this bottle in particular a 3 or 4/10, and I am still managing to enjoy it, so now I'm on the hunt for other vintages in better condition.
Aug 15, 2011

Show more reviews of Muguet des Bois...

Add your review of Muguet des Bois