Mugler Cologne
Thierry Mugler (2001)

Overall

About Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Thierry Mugler

Inspired by the clean fresh scent of a soap from Mugler's childhood, Cologne was designed to appeal to people who don't really like fragrance!
Cologne draws on the tradition of early colognes, it is fresh and citrus-sy and is the olfactory opposite of the distinctive scent of Angel.
The scent contains a mystery ingredient, only known as 'S'... maybe it's Sausage?, Salmon?, Soap?, Selotape?.. or maybe its 'S-Perfume' all over again!
The bath line includes a scent free natural crystalline alum stone deodorant, which lasts an age, and you can add your own fragrance too.

Reviews of Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I wouldn't classify this as a typical citrus. I smell nothing natural - no orange blossom, no petitgrain, no begamot. Infact I don't smell the musk either - I just smell a simple aromachemical (although I couldn't tell you which).

Having said that, it smells great - clean without soapy, upbeat without being a straightforward citrus, perfect for any gender. It just smell good, and I'm happy to have a bottle.
Jun 19, 2021

Bergamot, neroli and petitgrain - the usual suspects to kick off the fresh opening blast of an Eau de Cologene - here thy are again - but here they are quite beautifully done.

Soon the top notes rescind and give way to an orange flour with whiffs of of white floral in the background. Later on white musks appear, infusing just a very restrained sweet-ish undertone, which expresses clean and soapy characteristics.

I get moderate sillage with adequate projection in the top notes that both weaken rapidly, with an overall longevity on five hours on my skin.

A traditional summer Cologne following the traditional path, but with well-made ingredients. Even the white musks, usually a blandly sweet affair, are of some character in their aroma. No Brownie points for originality her, just a traditional formula re-applied with skill and well-hone craft's skill. The limited performance is what one expects from such a Cologne. 3.5/5
Apr 21, 2021

the perfect unisex clean scent. This truly smells like a shower. I don't find the vetiver to be too intense. It is probably one of the lightest vetivers. It starts out very citrus but dries down more aromatic soapy.

Perfect for super super hot weather. As a female, I would not wear this many places as it just doesn't suit me (I live warmer chypre or orientals) however, when I want a light clean scent in the summer(for daytime) this is where I go. If you are looking for something similar to DG light blue without smelling like everyone else you should look to this.
Jul 22, 2020

Undoubtedly lovely, if a bit lacking in longevity. Definitely crowd pleasing and well crafted.

The initial feeling I get from the opening is grassy - the neroli has been beautifully dialled down to give an underlying current of juiciness and the bergamot and petigtain are both really light and upliftingly green. The bergamot especially is not heavy handed, dry or bracing.

There's an extra something there as a ghost note that I think a lot of people are picking up as vetiver leaf because of the similarity between Mugler Cologne and Oritginal Vetiver. I don't know that I get enough of the sharp, vegetal or earthy qualities to make that leap myself, but I can definitely see the possibility. It could be the impression gets created by basil and other herbs, I just don't have an educated enough nose to make a definite call.

The overall impression is undoubtedly pleasant, especially when that lovely waxy soapy note hits in the heart. This is my new desk drawer favourite - on a hot day I can smell fresh, clean and bright in an instant.

As a comparison to Original Vetiver, the two scents are quite different. Yes, they both have orange blossom and a green, clean and soapy vibe, but the Creed has its vegetal bite, the ginger out front and much more heft from the woods, base and concentration.

Thumbs up for sure.
Feb 1, 2020

Grassy green scent, vetiver, cologne style alcohol.

Only smells soapy to you if you know the Savon de Marseille vert, the green one.

It's not barbershop-soapy, like JPG Le Mâle. Which is more complex, a level Mugler cologne is not at.
Dec 6, 2019

Got to be up there as one of the best vetiver and best office fragrances around, especially for the money. Not too bitter or earthy, and nicely balanced with the bergamot and neroli. It’s worth checking out a few alternatives though that each have a slightly different vibe - vetiver fatale that’s less floral, colder, more metallic and more refreshing on hot days; Timbuktu that’s a warmer and earthier scent, and of course Terre d’Hermes Parfum that goes in a citrus direction.
Oct 11, 2019

Show more reviews of Mugler Cologne...

Add your review of Mugler Cologne