Monsieur de Givenchy

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

About Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Givenchy
Pierre Dinand

Givenchy's original masculine fragrance is a rich citrus fragrance.

Where to buy Monsieur de Givenchy

Reviews of Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

There are 63 reviews of Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy.

A lightweight beauty, Monsieur Givenchy is almost like a gentleman's L'Air du Temps (also composed by Francis Fabron) with his carnation accord simmering under the lemon verbena and spiced lavender. When wearing it, I feel handsome, centered, and relaxed. I am walking with confidence, I am well-groomed, I am practicing good etiquette.

Well-mannered yet with character, this Monsieur could tell a lot of great stories but also listens. He knows that we do not antagonize and judge ad nauseam to get our point across to our audience. If someone seems a "slob", he extends compassion, as they may be dealing with grief, trauma, or heartache. He does not pick on others and call them "sissies," we must rather protect sensitive souls from the troglodytes of the earth. Folks may be buried in their phones but he does not mock, he is too buried in a book to care. He stays in his own lane and doesn't squander his energy berating what others may do with their time just to prop himself up. He knows that righteous indignation can be unappetizing, but reducing human beings to just an action or two is just uncouth. These are the true virtues of the handsome manly man. It would be lovely if these were the virtues of all souls, no matter what their expression or persuasion.

Monsieur de Givenchy winds down over time to a musky, mossy, sandalwood murmur with its heart lingering on collars and cufflinks. I'd be thrilled to lean in and kiss a handsome gent who was wearing this. Deux messieurs qui s'embrassent, quel spectacle!

Hmm!
I agree with freewheeling for the most part.
My evaluation of these fine scents is that they all share equally in their value.
The Givenchy has a focus on a base of Oakmoss and Sandalwood and a darker part of the forest. It is excellent in regards to it's elegant deep green aromatic.
Pour Monsieur has a focus on a base of
Oakmoss and Vetiver and a carefully managed Woodland.
It is excellent in regards to it's use of Vanilla-ed Neroli pointing to a gorgeous powdered finish which brings the scent to a 50's Paris.
Eau Sauvage has a focus on base of Ambered Musk.
It is excellent as it presents a Floral Bouquet that is Jasmine led and
defines an elegant 60's Unisex aura
All share a very Classical French poetry.

Note: Review is of the vintage version.

A splendid classic textbook citrus chypre. Very traditional opening of brisk lemon and tart bergamot finely interwoven with lavender, on a dry-down of oakmoss and sandalwood. Elegant, refined, subtle, abstract, and uncomplicated. Wears close to skin with reasonable duration for this style of perfume. Just as good as Chanel pour Monsieur or Eau Sauvage, if not better.

4.5/5

There are three legendary masculines citrus chypres, Pour Monsieur, Eau Sauvage and Monsieur de Givenchy. They are also the three best ones in my opinion. I love Eau Sauvage the most, in part because I was introduced to it in my early teens when all I knew about perfumes where my mother's Number 5, 19 and Arpege. Men around me where not wearing anything, they were hippies that smelled of hearth, hay and sweat, often weed. An antique dealer friend of the family went and fetched it to me as fragrances where discussed and said this is what you need and want. I loved it, the bottle, everything and it became my lifelong signature (before basenotes). I favor it also because of the hedione wash giving it a whimsical, bohemian vaguely mysterious feel.

Monsieur de Givenchy is just as good perhaps better even, it's exactly balanced, longer lasting, perfect. More rooted, more conservative and dependable in a way, classical. And it smells incredible.

Vintage wrap around label

Fresh/tart bergamot and verbena combo in the top, shortly followed by a sweet lemon supported by lavender probably supported by a hint of incense or benzoin. In the base, the lavender leaves, the lemon tones down and leaves the front stage to a slightly smoky moss, and a hint of woods (vetiver for sure, possibly cedar also) and spices (coriander? pepper? a micro dose of cumin maybe? or is it the civet?)
Overall a simple citrus fragrance, that will unveil a controlled complexity during the journey. Performance is not its strength, since it results being closer to an EDC than an EDT from that point of view, but that is not what is expected here anyways. Powdery? Yes, probably with some benzoin involved in it, providing also some sweetness. Soapy? Also a bit, but 'powdery' is the term that fits better, imo.
How to describe it? I would say it's a mix of Eau de Guerlain and AdP Colonia, with a drop of Jicky in the base. It's classic without being dated, it's elegant without being boring, it's gentleman-y without being macho. It might not tick the uniqueness box, but it fits for sure the image of the house: It's very Givenchy.
If if a masterpiece in terms of smell, it'll only get a 4/5 mark in view of its abysmal performance.
Warm to hot days, 30+

Show more reviews of Monsieur de Givenchy...

Add your review of Monsieur de Givenchy