Monsieur Balmain (original)

Overall

About Monsieur Balmain (original) by Pierre Balmain

Pierre Balmain

Reviews of Monsieur Balmain (original) by Pierre Balmain

There are 10 reviews of Monsieur Balmain (original) by Pierre Balmain.

I think this is one of the best fresh citrus frags I've tried. On the very first smell, I did get a hint of lemon pledge, but after that I truly loved it. I get a very nice ginger note along with lemon zest. I haven't tried the new formula, but I can't imagine it being better. This is a must have for citrus fans.
Apr 1, 2019

Germain Cellier's Monsieur Balmain is a classical multifaceted creation that starts with a dry woody citrus - ginger, that leads into a refined aromatic heart, which is layered on a woody leather chypre. It's pretty much Edmond Roudnitska's rather dour Moustache for Rochas cooked sunny side up, but this is much better because you effectively get three themes in one profile. Now pretty dated, the rationale for reformulating it is clear. Still, good work from one of the all time greats.

****
May 7, 2018

The impressive thing about the vintage bottle is that it's a clear forerunner of the 90s-00s fresh aquatic genre. A throughline from Balmain to Armani Pour Homme to Eau d'Issey is evident. That said, I'm not particularly a fan of this subset, so I'm not as hooked on this as I'd like to be. I have many vintage fragrances in my collection, but alas Monsieur Balmain won't be in the lineup. But for those who like citrus with a twist, it's well worth seeking.
Jan 24, 2018

An opening of bright, clear and crisp lemon with bergamot and jasmin - absolutely gorgeous! In the drydown ginger, carnation and cyclamen make is a bit more substantial a scent. Later a beautiful cedarwood takes cente stage, developing a delicious pencil shave character. Towards the latter stages, lemon and lemongrass let the freshness of the citrus re-emerge delightfully. God silage and projection and very good longevity: six hours. One of the best lemon fragrances.
Nov 13, 2013

Well If i would have to review this fragrance in just two words.........it would beCREAMY LEMONSThe Lemons seem to last on and on forever acompanied by a touch of spice somwhere in the background.Could even be classified as a lemony gourmand as it smells like something edible too. But yes If you love citrusy scents and often complain about the lemony top notes dissapearing way to quickly then this is definately the one for you. The Lemon notes last forever.....Great for waking up someone on a hot summer morning.Kudos to Mr. Balmain (or should i say Monsieur balmain)
Feb 11, 2010

A very elegant citrus, focused on lemon and aromatic notes. It reminds me of Eau Sauvage which I believe emerged in same time frame.
Jul 2, 2009

Show more reviews of Monsieur Balmain (original)...

Add your review of Monsieur Balmain (original)