Monocle Scent One : Hinoki
Comme des Garçons for Monocle (2008)

Overall

Monocle Scent One : Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

About Monocle Scent One : Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

Comme des Garçons
Monocle
Created for

Monocle Scent One : Hinoki is a shared scent launched in 2008 by Comme des Garçons

Reviews of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

There are 63 reviews of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki by Comme des Garçons.

Hinoki is a very nice and understated incense scent. Woody, slightly smoky, calming, calm, collected.

It feels like you just stepped into a wooden sauna. It's essentially cedar and camphor notes. It's a bit dry with some fresh greenness from the cypress. If you're into woody and green scents, this is perfect for you. In fragrances, wood notes are usually dry or mixed with some sweetness, but imagine it soaked and damp. Then have some fresh vegetation from coniferous trees fall into the pool. There's a slight watery quality to it, and I feel like the pine is contributing to that effect.

I bought a bottle of this at first sniff. Unfortunately, I ended up selling the bottle because of its poor longevity. I just wish this had some performance. Despite the poor performance, this type of scent is right up my alley.

Wet and fresh wood note that is common in many CDG creations. (I think they often smell like pear, too.) This one does smell like cedar. A bit smoky. 2/5 OK.

Absolutely a 500 ton hinoki/cedar bomb. There's some damp conifer + camphor accords too but cedar is the star of the show. Way too much so for me (and I love woody scents)but this is the frag you want if that floats your boat.

Its super linear with average performance.

6.0/10

It's the cedar note from Kyoto. There's a little more to it than that but that's the gist. Great scent, performance pretty terrible (as it goes with CdG for me).

I've always felt like I *should* like Hinoki, but it's never won me over, despite many years of trying. It's the spiritual successor to CDG's excellent incense line (which I love), but somehow it doesn't just connect with me.

Part of it is definitely the pine. Pine is tricky to use because it almost always smells cheap, bringing to mind either Christmas candles or those pine-shaped car air fresheners. Adding a slug of wintergreen mint should theoretically fix that, but doesn't.

Also, Hinoki just smells simple. Don't get me wrong, I know that's a big part of CDG's vision, and many of their scents technically smell simple, but Hinoki lacks the artistry and nuance that can make a technically uncluttered perfume still smell compelling. Instead, it's just pine, mint, and iso e super smoke.

If you want something similar but better executed and more interesting, I'd suggest CDG's own Jaisalmer, which focuses on cedar and other woods instead of the minty pine, to excellent effect.

Show more reviews of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki...

Add your review of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki