Monocle Scent One : Hinoki
Comme des Garçons for Monocle (2008)

Overall

About Monocle Scent One : Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

Comme des Garçons
Monocle
Created for

Reviews of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

There are 61 reviews of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki by Comme des Garçons.

Wet and fresh wood note that is common in many CDG creations. (I think they often smell like pear, too.) This one does smell like cedar. A bit smoky. 2/5 OK.
Nov 30, 2021

Absolutely a 500 ton hinoki/cedar bomb. There's some damp conifer + camphor accords too but cedar is the star of the show. Way too much so for me (and I love woody scents)but this is the frag you want if that floats your boat.

Its super linear with average performance.

6.0/10
Jul 19, 2021

It's the cedar note from Kyoto. There's a little more to it than that but that's the gist. Great scent, performance pretty terrible (as it goes with CdG for me).
Feb 14, 2021

I've always felt like I *should* like Hinoki, but it's never won me over, despite many years of trying. It's the spiritual successor to CDG's excellent incense line (which I love), but somehow it doesn't just connect with me.

Part of it is definitely the pine. Pine is tricky to use because it almost always smells cheap, bringing to mind either Christmas candles or those pine-shaped car air fresheners. Adding a slug of wintergreen mint should theoretically fix that, but doesn't.

Also, Hinoki just smells simple. Don't get me wrong, I know that's a big part of CDG's vision, and many of their scents technically smell simple, but Hinoki lacks the artistry and nuance that can make a technically uncluttered perfume still smell compelling. Instead, it's just pine, mint, and iso e super smoke.

If you want something similar but better executed and more interesting, I'd suggest CDG's own Jaisalmer, which focuses on cedar and other woods instead of the minty pine, to excellent effect.
Dec 12, 2020

The ingredients read like a dare (turpentine, camphor combined with pine and cypress!?) and the initial hit is just as interesting as that sounds. The opening reminds me of a musty and humid wine cellar, but strangely enough there is a freshness that actually makes it work.

The longevity is abominable though. the scent is as volatile as turpentine and camphor. Most of it was gone within the hour, and what remains is a vaguely powdery woody scent that is barely noticeable.

If it weren't for the poor longevity, this would be a very interesting contender for a favorite.
Dec 7, 2019

On me: a blast of citrus, fading immediately into a smell of wood and acrid smoke that is, somehow, completely unlike woodsmoke. Memorable; I can't decide if it's unpleasant or not. I'll be keeping the sample for days when I'm bored but won't be buying a full bottle. Gone after about 3h.
Oct 6, 2018

Show more reviews of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki...

Add your review of Monocle Scent One : Hinoki