Mistral Patchouli

Atelier Cologne
Robertet

Mistral Patchouli is a shared scent launched in 2013 by Atelier Cologne

Reviews of Mistral Patchouli by Atelier Cologne

There are 21 reviews of Mistral Patchouli by Atelier Cologne.

Okay, first off, I don't like patchouli much by itself. Therefore this was a very pleasant surprise. Woody incense with patchouli blended perfectly so that it's a smooth fragrance of resins, wood and incense but somehow very light and airy the whole time. Really really nice fragrance.

Mistral patch stands alone in terms of uniqueness. I got a very fresh, green citrussy opening and then a clear chinese-five-spice blend. Checking the notes I see star anise and the note is very well realised. It must be this that gives an Asian culinary feel because my brain keeps picking up ginger, lemongrass, Kaffir lime leaves.

The consensus is that the citrus is pomello / grapefruit and the whole scent is much more complete than p.p. checking the notes makes me feel not so crazy that I keep thinking of L'instant Guerlain EDT because that classic is build upon a structure of green-citrus > anise > patchouli. The named patchouli is nothing dominant here (as in L'instant extreme)but gives a slight dirty contrast to the more obvious citrus. This reminded me of a L'instant flanker, let's say L'instant d'0rient!

Other scents coming to mind included very distant memories of Gucci Envy, penhaligons Bayolea (lemongrass in an EDC) and the ginger freshness of Dior Homme sport flankers.

I highly recommend checking out this unique gem if overwhelmed at the AC counter. Simple, but invigorating and unique. 79/100

FYI, this perfume has been renamed Patchouli Riviera.

This kicks of with a pleasant mix of black pepper and citrus (mostly grapefruit on me). Green kitchen herbs come in next (maybe basil and definitely rosemary). As the citrus fades, it makes way for a polite patchouli, made especially green by the herbs, without any of the oil or dank that patchouli sometimes carries. Hours later, it dries down to a mix of patchouli and iso e super, so it keeps that peppery overtone, but gets more creamy and smoky with wisps of incense.

With all this talk of citrus over herbs over smoky patchouli, this sounds like it should be a hardcore powerhouse, but it's actually very light and airy. Not weak by any means, but "chemically buoyant", if that makes sense as a description. I've quite enjoyed it - I thought it might be a bit thin for winter, but it's been perfect, though I imagine it could also work in hot weather. Nice!

The initial blast is present with a fresh citrus mix, tangerine, pomelo and bigarrade with touches of petit grain, which is counterbalanced by an aniseed impression that, on me that it, is in the background compared to the citrus storm.

The drydown develops a floral sideline - iris, geranium and whiffs of oleander - but the citrus still rules. A restrained bright spice note comes and goes - light with a touch of clover - but this is soon pushed back by the emergence of the patchouli. This patchouli has very little to do with the dark, harsh and smoky patchouli à la Tom Ford's Purple Patchouli or Le Labo's Patchouli 24; this one is bright, light, acerbic and crisp but not that sharp; it is a bit like crisp gusts of wind down the Rhône Valley, and whiffs of benzoin give is some added depth.

The base continues the citric-patchouli theme, but adds neroli and a touch of a green vetiver to it; the latter is again night and lacks and earthy component.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and eight hours of longevity on my skin.

And interesting summery scent for warm days that has an original twist. 3.25/5.

This is my signature spring scent and in my top 3 of all Atelier Colognes fragrances (with Emeraude Agar for fall and Oud Saphir for winter). It sure helps that I am a huge anis aficionado, a love which started with the Anis de Flavigny bonbons in my mother's car and came to devotion when trying out Pastis, Ouzo, Raki and Absinth while travelling Europe as an adolescent. It smells a bit like a cold Pastis with a good squeeze of pomelo in it. I usually do not like perfumes which smell like food or beverages, but I am happy to make an exception for anis. The smell of anis evokes solitary travelling and discovering new places, therefore I think it was the perfect choice for Atelier Cologne to choose Anis to evoke the French Mistral sea wind, which is a sharp, cutting wind instead of a gentle summer sea breeze. M.P. is not a sweet, licorice or Sambucco alike anis, but tart and sour. It reminds me of a spray of cold sea water on my face when sailing in late spring. Luckily the fragrance does not smell like sea water itself, as these sea scents usually smell very chemical. M.P. smells very natural. Rather than a perfectly photo-shopped image of the sea, M.P. evokes a man's confrontation with the sea with a few brush strokes in green and blue.

Very masculine, dry and bitter mix. Good sillage, a bit too much for a young woman. I didn't feel comfortable wearing it.

Show more reviews of Mistral Patchouli...

Add your review of Mistral Patchouli

J harlan Manscents2 Bo Darville More

Members who own Mistral Patchouli

J Dallas.com RUDOLFO512 My_pep_pep Zhi Scarce Kiliwia dmcneill ExtremeK foxbins archelon archmemory More