L'Origan

Overall

About L'Origan by Coty

Coty
François Coty

Photograph courtesy of Alexandra Star of Parfums de Paris.

Reviews of L'Origan by Coty

There are 17 reviews of L'Origan by Coty.

One of my grandmother's favorite scents. Whenever I wear it, I am reminded of her.
Jun 4, 2021

Clove, cinnamon, carnation, pepper...My bottle is a vintage cologne, I think from the '70's, but that is only a guess. It reminds me more of Mitsouko than L'Heure Bleu as my juice has a distinct medicinal scent. It is interesting, too unusual to strike me as 'dated', but I don't love it. It reminds me of a Christmas-time candle or winter air freshener - or a boozy raisin, like mince pie, or maybe Constant Comment tea (cinnamon and clove!). Perhaps my bottle has turned - I get almost nothing citrus or floral.
Jun 1, 2021

If I were François Coty I would have been hopping mad at Jacques Guerlain.
Guerlain took l'Origan, lock stock and barrel, and ironed out the faults : the crude rubbery start, the weak base, the unadorned feel. He perfected them with years of work and study, and when he'd finished, what had been merely good became the great l'Heure Bleue, one of the classics of modernist perfumery.
Even though it took his rival to do it, I think Coty the artist may have been pleased by how his idea finally turned out.
As it stands, l'Origan is a fine perfume, but it's no match for the Guerlain.
Mar 15, 2020

This is for the vintage cologne spray... Very good, spicy orange floral scent-- light in presentation, but I use it several times a day. Reminds me of a light version of Karl Lagerfeld Classic. A real value for what I paid online.
Dec 31, 2019

A review of the vintage version

The opening blast combines a ripe and sweet peach with citrus - mainly orange/mandarin - and with a fresh bergamot; but the freshness of this set of starter notes is attenuated by an underlying coriander note.

The drydown sees it change into a rich potpourri of florals, with carnation, violet and jasmine dominating on me. An ylang-ylang arises slowly, which adds more richness and smoothness to the heart notes.

Coumarin, benzoin and tonka combine in the base to add sweet, raisinous and waxy components to the flowery core, which gradually recedes towards the end. A woodsy undertone is also present towards the end.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a superb thirteen hours of longevity on my skin.

A beautiful scent for spring evenings, saturated with high-quality ingredients. 3.75/5
Aug 19, 2019

One of the very first of the modern perfumes. A superb blend - a warm, rich, floral chypre that is at the same time dense and light. It is hard to pinpoint the individual notes of its complex structure. Only buy vintage - the new versions are so light, so simplistic, that one comes away with only the impression of carnation and vanilla - and L'Origan is far more than that.

It makes use of three synthetic notes - dianthene (carnation), iriliac (iris) and methyl
ionone (the powdery orris/violet).

Top notes: Bergamot, Neroli, Mandarin, Coriander, Pepper, Peach
Middle notes: Carnation, Jasmine, Rose, Violet, Ylang, Orris, Orchid
Base notes: Coumarin, Vanilla, Cedar, Sandalwood, Benzoin, Musk, Labdanum

Barbara Herman found it to be "licorice-flavored biscotti, with floral, clove and amber notes, rich, amber and powdery."

It was said to have influenced Guerlain's 1912 L'Heure Bleue with its pastry-like overall scent, then later Caron's 1947 Farnesiana.

It is also the base for Coty's own later masterpiece, L'Aimant, which adds a nutty note to the recipe.

One of the all time great masterpieces of the perfume art - again expose yourself to vintage only - readily available on Ebay.

Oct 8, 2014

Show more reviews of L'Origan...

Add your review of L'Origan