Liz Claiborne

About Liz Claiborne by Liz Claiborne

Liz Claiborne

Liz Claiborne is a women's perfume launched in 1986 by Liz Claiborne

Reviews of Liz Claiborne by Liz Claiborne

There are 11 reviews of Liz Claiborne by Liz Claiborne.

Thumbs up for nostalgia. This takes me back to the eighties, Molly Ringwald, The Cure, and big hair. I loved the smell of this b/c every girl I fell for wore it.

If you've longed for this "discontinued" 80's staple, it's back, and that's good news. But the bad news is:

1. you'll have to wade through that bug-spray opening (I know this phrase is over-used, but it really is applicable here) for a good 15- 20 minutes to get to anything that approaches the old fruity, slightly minty, marigold/ patchouli mix;

2. the bottle which looks like the red triangle original (from a distance) is so lightweight and cheaply made that the top likely doesn't fit properly; and finally

3. like so many reformulations, it's more of an "eau de" than a true representation of the original. If you think of it that way, it's more amenable, I suppose, to us old-timers. (If you're new to this one, though, your only hurdles will be #1 and #2).

I still like this scent because it truly is unique, but haven't decided if it's worth pursuing in its current form.

I found a bottle of this at a local discount store hoping it was the original, but I think it is a reformulated version because I get citrus and hair tonic where there used to be none. Why do they do that? This rating is for the version in the clear triangular bottle with the blue top, which is a gutted and updated version of the original with added citrus notes. I much preferred the original. One of the fragrance websites lists the notes for this version as greens and white lily accompanied by fruity notes of mandarin and fresh citrus. The original was more complex and lacked the throat curdling citrus that makes it now smell like Vaseline Hair Tonic.

We all bought this in the 80s (I think mine was yellow) to go with our plastic Liz Claiborne purses, huge hair, and shaker sweaters. It was a clean and bright fragrance, but I could catch a bit of toothpaste in it. Does anybody out there know what the notes were? I wore it even though I didn't like it, but I gave it a neutral due to the nostalgia.

I just found a big bottle of the cologne version of this at an outlet store. I had forgotten about it, but now that the bright colors and flat shoes of the 80's have returned, so has this fragrance! This fragrance evokes every girl who ever got a tan in the summer and switched to super pale lipstick to show it off, it is the big hair of fragrances, the one everyone had to have sitting prominently on their dresser, the only question was which color was your flacon? I personally had red, and I intend to have another one just like it because the cologne is too watered, this scent is meant to be bold, only the parfum version will do, and it is the scent to wear during hot lovely summers by the pool!

Liz Claiborne's signature fragrance is from an era when fruity florals were lush and juicy - not the watery, peppery, pink, modern kind. Despite LC's former popularity, I'd been quite oblivious to its existence until my recent 'tour' of classic fragrances from the past (via blind purchase of minis and partial bottles online).

Another reviewer compared LC to the original Lauren, and I agree that they are both lush, sweet, green florals with a dash of ripe fruit (in LC's case, peach and citrus*). But where Lauren has a clean, almost shampoo-like quality to its freshness, LC's freshly cut flowers bring with them a waft of planty funk (perhaps due the marigold, ylang-ylang, jasmine and/or narcissus* notes?).

I like this kind of scent, but don't rate LC a favourite from the genre. I'm giving it a thumbs up, however if I could control the position of the thumb it would be pointing to 10 o'clock.

* notes as per Fragrantica

Show more reviews of Liz Claiborne...

Add your review of Liz Claiborne