Like This / Tilda Swinton Like This
Etat Libre d'Orange (2010)

Overall

About Like This / Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

Etat Libre d'Orange

Created fin collaboration with actress Tilda Swinton, who requested a 'warm' and 'cosy' fragrance.  This inspired the name:"cosy"..."comme ci"... "like this".

Reviews of Like This / Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

There are 37 reviews of Like This / Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange.

Let me get it out of the way that I can see why people like this, if not just for the association with the actress Tilda Swinton, then for the fairly inviting smell. You really can't go wrong with orange blossom leading the way in a fragrance, it's just one of those notes that most people like, unless they have a lump of coal where their heart should be. That said, Tilda Swinton Like This (2010) is still on the boring Bath & Body Works room spray side of the fragrance universe, making it not so appealing to me as a personal scent. Also, unless you got the early bottles, yours will likely be called just "Like This" but is still the same fragrance. I don't think these celebrity collabs have a long shelf-life because royalties for name use are involved, or creative differences arise like between Bond No. 9 and the Andy Warhol estate. Tilda Swinton Like This was basically phoned in based on what she said she likes, mostly revolving around cozy kitchen and home scents, which here just get mashed up without much of a top/heart/base structure into a single ball of "smell good". Oh well, this certainly isn't the most flagrantly-irreverent or challenging thing on the ELdO menu, so they've kept the Quirk-O-Meter not much past a 3.

The opening, which isn't much one due to said lack of structure, is a big swig of orange blossom and and ginger. Eventually an immortelle note and a "pumpkin pie accord" emerge to mix with rose, heliotrope,labdanum, and a bunch of musks. It also feels like benzoin has a role to play here, as this has a similar rich fatty pastiness in the musk portion that reminds me of the later Bijou Romantique (2012) by ELdO in the far dry-down, once the other lump of smelly-sweets finally dies away due to chemical decomposition on skin. Mathilde Bijaoui also worked on this too. The orange blossom never dies away somehow, so you better like that as your main note if you want to enjoy this at all. You'll smell like a cooking or domestic living show host from HGTV or like someone who rolled around in a Yankee Candle shop but hey, this is a comfort-zone kind of perfume so I get it, just not for me. SIllage is mild and wear time is long to make up for it, but best use for me is at home, obviously. I also think this would reek in high heat or humidity, so beware that. Gender-wise this is labelled for women but I could see anyone who likes the smell of seasonal potpourri from Jo-Ann Fabrics enjoying this on their skin.

Tilda Swinton asked for cozy, and "Like This" is a play on words from the UK spelling "cosy", which gets extrapolated to "comme ci" or "Like This" in French. Etat Libre d'Orange delivered on cozy and as mentioned, must have just shoved everything she asked for (and them some) into a single perfume without structuring it a la Guerlain Jicky (1889), itself famous for not really having a heart. The result of this is delivering on what she asked but being extremely on-the-nose about it, which may also be what she was looking for, who's to say? Like This was really popular for a while, and the most popular Etat Libre d'Orange my local niche shop sold until they dropped the line (for being "too weird" says the owner), which seems about right considering how it smells and the actress originally backing it. Once more, I totally get why people like this, as it is pretty much comfort food for the nose if what comforts you comes in a Kohl's circular or has "Martha Stewart Living" somewhere on it. I don't really dig this vibe myself but jokes aside, can see the quality if not necessarily agree with the price for what is effectively another air freshener-turned-niche-perfume experience, so I'll compromise. Neutral.
Jun 12, 2021

Hmm, this does smell a bit like pumpkin pie or something else bready. It's cozy and a little bit strange. Also very quiet. There is a very slight bitterness next to the bready sweetness. I can't say I like it, but I think I can see why many others do. Seems like a good scent for baking.
Feb 5, 2021

This one was just not for me. Powdery and slightly Spivey, I just didn't like the mixture of notes. This one leans more towards the feminine side. This one could be a holiday scent.
Jan 28, 2020

Smells like a pumpkin spice latte. I guess there's a time for that? Hard to hate, but not very interesting.
Nov 10, 2019

I wanted to like this because of the Tilda Swinton connection, and ELdO have produced some frags I quite enjoy (though none that I consider FBW for me) - such as Fat Electrician (a bit sweet and cloying, and I already have vetiver frags), Je Suis Un Homme, and Eloge du Traitre (I already have Caron's Yatagan, which to my mind is better).

However. The opening of Like This has a familiar harsh, burnt feel to it - possibly a vetiver aromachem (as in Bel Ami Vetiver), but that wears off quickly. At the same time, it is quite sweet. And fleetingly salty. Well-blended, as in I can't pick out individual notes to start with. Doesn't take long before it settles down and becomes floral-ish (I get the rose), mild spice (cinnamon, ginger) and a bit of pumpkin. It's inoffensive. Meh.

In the far drydown, I finally get a recognisable vetiver, somewhat similar to Fat Electrician

It's not often my sampling selection misfires, but this was a dud. I might wear it on autumn nights out when something discreet and sweet-spiced would suit. But why bother ?
Sep 13, 2019

Ginger is a favorite note of mine so I like the way this smells and find it interesting. However, the immortelle flower and pumpkin combo make this a little too herbal and musky for me to call a true favorite. Late into the drydown I get something like maple syrup or fenugreek, weird. Bonus points for attempting something unique and interesting.

Projection is average and longevity is good but it fades to a skin scent after 4-5 hours.
Jan 7, 2019

Show more reviews of Like This / Tilda Swinton Like This...

Add your review of Like This / Tilda Swinton Like This