L'Homme Ultime
Yves Saint Laurent (2016)

Overall

About L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent

Yves Saint Laurent

Where to buy L'Homme Ultime

Reviews of L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent

There are 19 reviews of L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent.

The opening blast with its grapefruit that is not sour and quite fresh, is also notable for a pleasant ginger accord that moves into the foreground swiftly. Towards the heart notes a restrained cardamom is added in, which mixed in very nicely. A bright start of this olfactory journey.

The drydown is more herbal, mainly sage with whiffs of basil, on the background of a rose that is on the nonspecific side and quite weak on me. The other floral of note is a geranium, which is not much stronger than the rose.

The base is a woodsy impression, fairly nondescript with occasional hints of cedar, and a faint vetiver towards the end.

In get moderate sillage, adequate projection, and five hours of longevity on my skin.

And agreeable start that is quite run-of-the-mill in character, with the later stages being very generic and. Would YSL himself would have liked it? 2.75/5
Jul 6, 2021

This is a more than decent flanker, this is the second YSL cologne that ive purchased, the first being Y by ysl which I did not like, burnt my nose every time that I wore it. This though, I put it on and I feel more confident, the opening is awesome and really pulls you in, the dry down is where the magic happens and it last a while but this is one where ive had to re apply. This is definitely a compliment getter and crowd pleaser if you dont over spray, which is easy to do with this one so be careful.
Sep 1, 2019

More like Femme Ultime.
Phew. Gave it to my wife. She loves it.
Like a sweeter version of Xerjoff Shooting Stars.

Fragrance: For men: 6/10
Projection: 7.5/10
Longevity: 7.5/10
Nov 2, 2018

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime (2016) was poised as an "ultimate" version of the original YSL L'Homme (2006) composed a decade prior, and as an atypical flanker seeking to improve the original rather than supplement it, I'd say it was a pretty mixed bag that resulted in failure and discontinuation. In some ways, I do like it better because it has a nice "clean rose" that wasn't in the first version, but in other ways I find Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime to really be more of a supplement than it cares to admit, much like it's brethren since something is lost in translation by stapling rose onto the original L'Homme DNA and adding in a different base material to the equation. The original perfumers Dominique Ropion and Ann Flipo return, but Peter Wargnye sits this one out and is replaced with Juliette Karagueuzoglo, who has also worked on various other L'Homme flankers. L'Homme Ultime didn't set the world on fire any more than the original, but for fans of that rarest of categories known as the masculine floral, this might be the closest one finds within the L'Homme range. As a fan of rose, this stuff barely meets muster to me in that department, but is so nice overall that I can overlook it.

Opening with a typical grapefruit replacing the citric apple of the first but with the ginger reminiscent of it's forefather intact, Ultime infuses a twist of cardamom borrowed from La Nuit de L'Homme (2009) to make it spicier. There's no calone-1951 in Ultime like there was in the first L'Homme, so that slightly round and sweet melon note won't give this the halo shimmer of the original. The middle of sclarene from sage and metallic geranium is barbershoppy and coupled with a very sterlized Damask rose instead of the typical lavender, with no sight of the pepper or violet the original contained. The bleached rose/sage/geranium middle is the clean and neat star of Ultime, perhaps more approachable than Cartier Déclaration d'Un Soir (2012) or Calvin Klein ck2 (2016). The base is vetiver and the olfactory epoxy glue that is norlimbanol, akigalawood, and ambroxan, the first two which weren't in prominent use when the original launched. L'Homme Ultime is sweeter than d'Un Soir, drier than ck2, and falls in line as another grayed-out men's rose experiment. Performance is superior to the original in most regards outside sillage, with longer life at about 10 hours at the most, so that's a definite leg up, but still feels about as versatile.

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme Ultime is a modern mainstream masculine rose for the guy that wants a dumb-grab scent he can boast contains a rose note, but that isn't blatantly and obviously a rose perfume like something "his lady friend" would wear; he loves the idea of rose because it feels sophisticated and refined to say "rose fragrance", but barely wants to smell it in application because he still has a stigma of "Mommy's perfume" when the rose is to obvious. Folks not a fan of the original will probably not find favor in Ultime either, unless a small rose accord is enough to sway their opinion. I admit its faults and it was definitely the status-quo designer stop-gap release it seems to be in hindsight of the horrid Y Eau de Toilette (2017), but sometimes a plain ol' cheeseburger with a twist is fine. If we ate Filet Mignon every day, we'd lose our appreciation for the finer things, would we not? A drier, brighter, stronger, rose-powered but ultimately safe flanker to the stalwart L'Homme line that's more likeable than it has any right to be, that's what L'Homme Ultime was. Unfortunately, this wasn't enough to save it from the brutal released-today-discontinued-tomorrow cycles of overlords L'Oréal, so it sells for way too much money to be worth investigating anymore. Thumbs up.
Jun 18, 2018

Take everything good about L'Homme, add some rose and better performance and you get Ultime.

I'm already a big fan of scents with ginger and rose separately, and the two work together perfectly here.

The opening is fruity, fresh and sexy. The drydown is woody and still sexy, thanks to the rose.

I find this to be extremely versatile. Great for daytime or nighttime, casual or dressed up. Probably best in anything but colder weather.

Very good projection and longevity.
Jan 14, 2018

This is a very personal enjoyment conflicting smelling fragrance. In my opinion it isn't anything special ..the opening is too sour for a rose dominant fragrance ..it needs 5 minutes to relax the citrus... when the opening accords have faded you are left with a strange spicy sour rose smell that is reminiscent of paul Smith roses for women (which is scratchy) ..i write like I'm anti rose accord here but I'm not it's fantastic if used correctly...the rose is the dominant accord for me in this and it's a futuristic synthetic rose that's spoilt by sourness, not your adp essenza type that is natural and there to add and bolster a soapy citrus or even paco rabanne one million cologne that is straight up honest mass market rose. I think this is running too far ahead rose before anyone is bothered or cares, like a trendy Italian jacket that could set on fire and melt your skin within seconds. I'll catch up with this scent eventually (I bought 100ml blindly) but I think it might be ysl's attempt at a dior sauvage gone wrong or right in some ways, I much prefer the l'homme intense version if I'm honest in a hit and miss minefield of ysl creativity.
Jul 18, 2017

Show more reviews of L'Homme Ultime...

Add your review of L'Homme Ultime