Les Nombres d'Or : Cuir

Mona di Orio
Jeroen Oude Sogtoen

Les Nombres d'Or : Cuir is a shared scent launched in 2010 by Mona di Orio

Reviews of Les Nombres d'Or : Cuir by Mona di Orio

There are 35 reviews of Les Nombres d'Or : Cuir by Mona di Orio.

Motorcycles reproducing in nocturnal alleys.

Jason Voorhees at Camp Crystal Lake.

Smokey, oily, and earthy leather ... with the scent of fear in the air.

A nice synthetic leather. Cade, frankincense, leather. I dont see them, but i feel like i detect some whispers of cypriol and vetiver. Maybe something else is giving me that impression though. Peppered jerky? Eh, i guess. Kinda feels like a thicker, updated, a little less fresh Yatagan, with its leather, castoreum, and galbanum. As that is my favorite fragrance of all time, this is obviously a thumbs up for me. Happy to know things like this exist, but I prefer the lighter density of the Caron. Price is fairly high, but quality is good. Blending is well done, and there arent many sharp corners. Performance is high, no worries there.

Iron fist in a kid leather glove

I feel badly for leaving bad to neutral reviews of other Mona di Orios when I actually enjoy most of the others. Cuir is the first fragrance I tried of this house and it remains for me, a benchmark leather. It's realistic, a little butch, and I detect a wonderfully toasted nuttiness rather than full-on BBQ notes.

Yes, it's quite dry and smoky. But there's also something poised about it. It's not tough like Tuscan Leather's thick butch bullhide or Knize Ten's stiff gasoline blonde side. It's not raw like Anubis' smoky tanned pelts. I could go on with the comparisons about what Cuir is not. It's because Cuir is full of contradiction. Tough yet supple. Brutal yet tender. One of those special fragrances that does not lose its intrigue with daily wear.

Very strong leather right off. Cade, too. Both notes combined resemble a tobacco accord, for me. Cuir is a cold, dark scent. It is a dark room with only a single lit candle for illumination. Bowls of smoldering ancient incense. Smoke, nearly choking anyone present. It's narcotic, like a bitter pill. Very evocative for this woman.

A smokiness continues with an addition of a deep, resinous creature. Settles as an animal itself. Overall fairly linear.

Leather, cade, smoke, tobacco, galbanum. Deep, pungent, and resinously stunning. I wish I were the exact type of female who could wear this scent with casualness and aplomb, and on some rare days I almost think I am! On other days, I think, 'Who am I kidding?' this stuff is brutal, and smells like I've been soldering in a run down machinist's shop on the smokey end of town. Either way, I find it a fascinating and risky take on the leather genre.

If I were a braver, more iconoclastic woman, or any kind of man, I'd wear the hell out of this.

This is a great scent. This is a great leather scent.

Cuir has a slight cardamom note, but is otherwise mostly a very leather fragrance with the addition of a tobacco note. The leather rich, dark, sensuous, but not overbearing. An approximation would be any old, even antique leather product such as a chair, or briefcase. There is a distinct smokiness from cade and birch initially which gradually subsides. The tobacco note is dry, ashy, - like cigarette ash, or an ashtray, and a hint at an opened pack of cigarettes. This linear leather-tobacco accord is the centrepiece of the composition. It is very original, very nice, and very compelling. I also find it evocative - when I was a child, this was the smell of many a gent, all smokers, who, wrapped in their shawls, would gather at little tea shops on winter evenings (pre global warming days when Calcutta had an authentic 'winter') to sip on steaming tea and discuss everything under the sun. Those days are gone, and that reference alone makes it rather worldly.

Sillage is somewhat subdued but still discernible and persistent, and duration is average at around 6-7 hours. Cuir has similarities with Patchouli 24 and Bois d'Ascese, but is less smoky than either and also surprisingly more natural smelling. It is not as impactful as either of those two, but a little persistence reveals that it is just as interesting and rewarding, and perhaps more memorable.

Show more reviews of Les Nombres d'Or : Cuir...

Add your review of Les Nombres d'Or : Cuir