Reviews of Le Dix

Overall

Le Dix by Balenciaga

Add your review of Le Dix

Reviews of Le Dix by Balenciaga

There are 28 reviews of Le Dix by Balenciaga.

A pure wonder for sensual and aesthetic enjoyment of one's refined demands... but if you are lucky to be a proud owner of a vintage edition!because it is discontinued.this fragrance is divine. lush,fresh,rich,a timeless classic.Le Dix is described as "fresh and clear,just like a dewy, spring morning in the woods".it is whimsical but grounded.sparkling,but austere. come-hither,and independent. an incredibly beautiful floral/powdery scent.

The quintessential spring floral, capturing the fecund beauty of the lilac and flowers bursting with life, pollen,and joy.so distinctive,immortal, and perfect, spawning the plethora of modern screechy chemical florals hoping to ride on it's perfection.there is something in there,possibly in aldehyde that really reacts and goes dark,but I've been lucky in that even the dark juice still smells incredible.the base note of sandalwood and amber simply helps soften and extend the bright floral-bouquet-it is non invasive.in this regard, Le Dix is a traditional floral:no heavy base notes to get in the way of the fresh,pure floral experience.I don't get the animalic notes at all.it is innocent,inviting,immature, pure.

If I need to feel calm and embraced and beloved and that the world is a beautiful, wondrous place, I wear Le Dix. In the vintage extrait, there is not another fragrance that makes me feel as if I'm dreaming and drowsy in a warm summertime hammock. This is the most gently, tenderly luscious fragrance I own, and I wear it not to impress or seduce, but to reassure and nurture myself in an interior way. There is something about the creamy sandalwood and musk in its base notes that brings me closer to a state of grace than I can ordinarily come. It smoothes my hair and rubs my back and tells me that even in a dark and dingy world there are quiet places of beauty and serenity that can be entered, if even for brief seasons.

P.S. Imagine a MUCH more beautiful Antilope that dries down to a slightly more balsam-y Bois des Iles.

I had a 3mL sample that I picked up at a garage sale. I have no idea how old it was, or under what conditions it had been kept. I used the whole thing, and it was...OK, I guess. It was not the rapturous experience that many have had with it. I get some flowers, and some aldehydes, and a certain plumminess that I often get with these throw-in-everything-even-the-kitchen-sink perfumes. It could well be that my sample was no longer good, but I would not seek this out, and probably would not repurchase if a small bottle came my way again.

After over a year of musing over my sealed antique full ounce of Le Dix, I finally gave in and opened it a few nights ago. I am recovering from the swine flu, and realized that my swollen olfactories could not fully appreciate what I would behold. I decided to wait until now so I could devote an entire day to a trial. What an absolute delight! Many of the other complimentary commenters have done justice to the analysis of the notes and how they operate together. It is such a wonderfully crafted masterpiece that it is difficult for me to distinguish any particular notes, leaving me no other option but to focus solely on my emotional response to it. After basically "bathing" myself in Le Dix, I found myself surrounded by a veil of smooth deliciousness. Initially, I felt transported upon a magic carpet through time and space to an early 20th century Mediterranean island, surrounded by lush vegetation, fragrant blooms, and citrus trees. Then suddenly, I was flying over endless rows of perfume fields somewhere in France on a beautiful sunny day, while inhaling the soft mix of all that is divinely floral. Finally, I felt a warm embrace as my feet touched the earth. There I was enveloped by all that is right in my world going back to childhood; sweet spices in the kitchen, something delicious cooking, wood next to the fireplace, the wonderful way it smells when I stick my face into my dog's fur, a day in the saddle, my skin after a long day at the beach, and something very sexy.
On me, (even in the pure parfum) Le Dix is a skin scent. I don't get much sillage, but at this point in my life I do NOT want or need a perfume to announce my arrival. I have already arrived, and want a perfume that compliments and enhances what is already here. Le Dix does that. She just makes it all a bit better, like any good fairy godmother.
I daresay she might be quite nice on men as well.

A peachy, warm, very aldehydic opening beautifully balanced with a gently citric lemon and a fresh bergamot - gorgeous is the opening indeed. A hint of spice - coriander mainly with orris - is added and leads over to a floral drydown of rare beauty, where lily takes the centre stage, with a rich, velvety rose - Bulgarian comes to mind - combining sensationally with a superb jasmine. Around this time a pleasant elegant powderiness emerges that is never dusted or dull, but provides the dance of fragrance notes with a suitable stage to shine.

The base, so often a letdown, keeps up the same stupendous level of quality, with a natural sandalwood balancing beautifully with a fairly light and bright vetiver, a rich slightly musky vanilla, and a truly convincing great Amber note - glorious!

The performance is excellent: I get good sillage, nice projection and over twelve hours of longevity - fading out gently in very discretely powdery ambery-vanilla delight. Very good for my old vintage sample.

A grand classic and a great masterpiece of the house of Balenciaga. 4.25/5

Created by Francis Fabron and released in 1947, it was the first of Balenciaga's five classic women's scents (Quadrille, La Fuite de Heures, Prelude, Cialenga being the others).

The perfect violet floating on a cloud of soft, powdery orris is the overall impression of this classic scent. Interesting it was created the same year as another orris masterpiece, Fath's Iris Gris.

It shares nine notes with another Fabron classic, Piguet's Baghari, according to Barbara Herman.

This is a sweet, powdery and soft scent. It compares to Guerlain's Apres L'Ondee in its ephemeral beauty. The oil concentration as with all Balenciagas is stunning. The weakest of perfume concentrations, the eau de cologne, is with Le Dix completely present 24 hours after applying.

Top notes: Lemon, Bergamot, Peach, Coriander, Cilantro
Heart notes: Orris, Violet, Rose, Lilac, Ylang, Jasmine, Muguet
Base notes: Civet, Musk, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Benzoin (Vanilla), Amber, Tonka, Balsam, Ambergris

One of the all time greatest scents of the 20th century. Buy vintage only - it predominates on Ebay.

My Father gave me a bottle of Le Dix Perfume for my fifteenth birthday, from the MASTER Balenciaga. I fell totally in love with it and have worn it my entire life. I have no idea what MORON discontinued it, I have a hard time finding it.

A beautiful perfume: a lovely mix of Chanel No5 and powdery violets. There's not much more I can say about it, but this was a very elegant perfume: I can't believe that it has been discontinued.

I am wearing the original parfum today. A sample from the Perfumed Court. I have to say that on me, in 78 degrees, the base notes precede the top notes. Is this unusual in a vintage parfum? The civet and musk act as top notes; the violet does not appear until 10 minutes after applying. Help.

(non-re-issue)In the 50's, Cristobal Balenciaga was considered to be the greatest Couturier who ever lived. Christian Dior himself called him "Father to us all." The tag line for "le dix," when it was launched, merely read: "His Creation." Many today have a difficult time imagining the grandeur of Balenciaga. Diana Vreeland wrote: "If you were at a party, and a woman walked in wearing Balenciaga, no other woman existed." As fascinating as his clothes, "His Creation," le dix, is equally compelling. Balenciaga was the first couturier in history to sublimate ugly women, whose allure he preferred to the merely beautiful, whom he considered common: His salons were regarded with the reverence of a church, and quite simply were not open to the public: One had to be presented, put up for admittance, as it were, and references were required. Once invited, if the severe, gatekeeping "directrice" didn't like the look of any new potential client, access was denied, and she was summarily dismissed. Balenciaga had a fondness for a slightly hunched back, and so he cut all the collars of his jackets several centimeters away from the neck in order to make the feminine silhouette appear as if it were bent: He instructed his models to hold their head forward, their hips out, and to never smile or make eye contact with anyone. Fittingly, "le dix" is a study in perplexed notions of beauty. Its opening is frankly bizarre. It was said at the time that it smelled like vomit, and indeed there is a strange bodily excretion aura to its flight that lingers long enough to be well examined. With le dix, we witness what very possibly could have been the world's first "Indie" scent. Naturally, by the mid 50's, there had been many fragrances that could be considered eccentric: Ernest Daltroff's entire range, for example, or Guerlain's Djedi. Patou's "Que sais-je?" Yet all of these were strange in a very specific manner, exhibiting a purposeful rejection of accepted social codes, where le dix explores the outter reaches of sensibility in a secretive, furtive way: One is never sure if the scent is perfectly lovely, or outright foul.
A cunning composition of violet stems, woods and musks, it has only Jean Kerleo's magnificent "1000" as a peer: It can be inferred that Monsieur Kerleo was a fan of le dix. It may also be inferred that Monsieur Balenciaga was a fan of "Je Reviens," as le dix shares a certain high pitched and lofty distance with this masterpiece of structure from the 1930's, but hasn't a hint of its comforting and very singular loveliness. Le dix can not be compared to any fragrance in a literal sense: It stands alone, and never allows itself to be read clearly. Much like everything else associated with Balenciaga himself, there is an austerity about it that approaches the Biblical: It speaks a language of Heaven and Hell simultaneously, and never teeters off to either side: walking the split straight down the middle of it the whole way down from flight to base. Comparisons others have made to Chanel No5 are lost on me, as I would equate these to comparing the scent of a street-walking two penny harlot to that of a sovereign. Cristobal Balenciaga and Gabrielle Chanel should theoretically not exist in the same discussion, though it is a fact that the two of them were close friends. In the realm of fashion and fragrance, Comparing his taste to hers would be like comparing chalk to cheese. Le dix is a grand perfume. It stands up to any guerlain, any caron, or any patou. What's interesting about it, is that it staunchly refuses comparisons, loudly declaring itself "hors concours." Just as did Monsieur Cristobal Balenciaga himself, it is in a league of its own, isolated, away from the crowd, and silently observes, never smiling, never making eye contact. An intellectual composition perfectly suited to any woman or any man who considers that no perfume on earth could possibly express their personality, requiring one that merely poses questions, without ever hinting at answers. Balenciaga never gave an interview to the press, and fashion journalists were unwelcome in his salons. Following the violent student uprisings in France during the Sping and Summer of 1968, Cristobal Balenciaga shuttered his house, with only this explanation: "The world is no longer a place for my creation."

(this is for the reissue) I find Le Dix soft and slightly powdery. I get the bergamot and lilac at the opening while the rose becomes more apparent as the fragrance wears. It's feminine and totally wearable. Elegant

I first smelled Le Dix in 1984, when I bought a bottle on a cross-Channel ferry; in those days 4.25ml of Parfum cost £8.50! I loved Le Dix from the moment I tried it; the fragrance from this first bottle was an elegant, soft powedery-violet perfume, with no obvious aldehyde notes. At this time I didn't actually like violet (and my favourite perfume then was No5), so my liking Le Dix was quite amazing; however, I came to like it even more than my beloved No5. This bottle was a tiny version of the classic Balenciaga parfum flacon, with a gold coloured screw-on stopper, in the shape of the glass one on larger sizes.After this first bottle, I didn't buy it again until about a year later, when I purchased a 7.5ml parfum. I think this was possibly old stock, as it smelled of pure aldehyde (like No5++!) , with very little violet in evidence. I was very disappointed, and this bottle put me off Le Dix for a number of years.After 15 years, I bought Le Dix again, and discovered this bottle to be a very pleasant balance between the powdery violet notes of my first bottle and the aldehydic ones of my second.For me Le Dix is the most elegant Balenciaga fragrance, which is equally suited to day and evening wear.

I came by a mini bottle of the vintage parfum for a song. I'm afraid the top notes have burned a little, so this review may not be accurate to what others experience with the fresh juice. I get no lemon or peach in the opening; instead there is a "burned sugar" note that seems to be common with older parfums that have gone off. So from the beginning this is rather heavy -- caramel, smoke, and violets. The feel of it is formal and dramatic -- a swooning Southern Belle type of violet. The scent does freshen a little bit in the heart with a very pretty jasmine, which I'm guessing is what draws the Chanel no. 5 comparisons. But Le Dix still retains a lot of formality and a sense of confinement, whereas to me the magical quality of no. 5 is it's easy naturalism. If I picture no. 5 as a pretty girl lounging outside on a warm spring day with not much on, Le Dix is dressed for a dinner party in purple taffeta. The violets are strong and sweet (on the verge of stuffy, but not unenjoyable to me -- I love violets in their various manifestations) and hang in all the way to the drydown, which is violets over a strong, dirty-but-quality vanilla that reminds me of Shalimar. Interesting and impressive. I hope to compare it to a recent version, or a more jealously protected vintage, someday and see how much of the smoke and caramel and swoony weight is the real stuff and how much is simply the result of age.

Le Dix is an elegant and charming fragrance.I haven't had the opportunity to sample a vintage version, but am perfectly happy to smell the current EdT formulation–which I would describe as being in soft focus.I smell violets, aldehydes, green jasmine, iris, and what I think might be orange blossom. Le Dix settles down quickly and produces moderate sillage for around five hours. I don't smell anything specific in the base (before it fades away) beyond some powderiness from the iris.It has some similarities to Chanel's No. 5, but is, to its credit, more interesting and less formal than No. 5.As a huge violet fan (I regularly wear Green Irish Tweed and have a soft spot for Montale's Louban) smelling Le Dix makes me smile. I would recommend Le Dix to any woman who likes violets and elegant fragrances.

I really love the parfum version of this wonderful, heady scent. The edt is not enough like it to matter, unfortunately. I would fall for an almost impossible to find product! It is somewhat like Chanel #5 which I used to love, but with more personality, depth and interest.

Quite a heavy, aldehydic floral fragrance… And of the florals, violet is the dominant one… Aldehydic violet makes quite a memorable scent, and I remember this one from when I was kid – my favorite aunt wore it back in the early ‘50s. I remember that my parents gave her a bottle of #5 one Christmas, and to my knowledge she never wore the #5 – she always smelled of violets. My memory tells me that Le Dix used to be a better scent than this Le Dix that I'm smelling now. The present Le Dix doesn't seem to come off with the clarity of aim or the competence of mission that the Le Dix of the past did. Today's doesn't sparkle as yesterday's used to… it's just rather heavy now. Le Dix gives off a lot of sillage that, while nice, just seems a bit ponderous and not as refined and well blended as it used to… or maybe my disappointment is simply because it's not my aunt who is wearing it now.

Le Dix is a heavy, aldehydic old-fashioned floral with a lot of powder and some wood. I can see some similarities to Chanel #5 but Le Dix just smells inferior to me. I personally don't care for Le Dix or its sister, Rumba, but then I am generally not a fan of heavy floral or oriental perfumes. Le Dix is definitely more of an evening perfume and would be more appropriate for an older woman. Stylish bottle.

I recently purchased a vintage 3 fl.oz flacon of Le Dix Parfum that is still sealed with black silk cord and a waxy membrane surrounding the stopper finial & bottle lip. Almost one third of this gorgeous 'juice' has been lost due to natural evaporation, housed in original coffret with the flacon sitting snugly in it's raised presentation dais. Most impressive indeed ! I imagine it's now more 'Extrait' than pure 'Parfum'.
My memory of this fragrance is permanently seared into my olfactive hard-drive as this perfume was worn by my beloved Grandmother for as long as I can recall.
The bottle never ceases to fascinate me with it's solid glass umbrella shaped stopper & the way light refracts through the highly polished chiseled panels of it's base.

For me this delicious perfume connects me to the past evoking childhood memories of a freshly made mixed berry sorbet, lemon meringue pie and my Grandfather's lovingly tended rose gardens hedged by ferns and soft velvety mosses.
The integrity of this liquid gold is perfectly intact as a smudge of evaporated 'jus' from just under the stopper held for a good twelve hours without aberration on my skin.
The dry-down is completely seamless, a symphony of Hesperides, lush Florals, rare Resins and now long obsolete Nitro-musks.
Magnificent !
The only concentration presently available is in the form of the Eau de Toilette ?
Le Dix endures !
To the genius of Francis Fabron
"Merci" Monsieur Balenciaga

I love this, it's classic, sophisticated, full and vibrant, and by god you really know you're wearing a perfume! I really couldn't compare this with Chanel no. 5 - other than to say it's HEAPS better.

And I agree with what has been said before - what MORON discontinued it? It's an absolute tragedy that this is no longer available. I have 1 and a half bottles of it left in my collection, and I wear it whenever I need to be cheered up, or to feel strong and bold. It's one of my absolute favourites.

I received this as a gift from an old uncle. Even at age 17, I appreciated it. It smells very powdery, which is something I have always liked. If that makes me an "old lady", so be it.

I do enjoy wearing le Dix, and yes it does have some similarities to Chanel No5 and also Bois des Iles. It is very chic and French, a more mature fragrance, but I cannot think of it in the same class as my beloved No5. It is not nearly as charismatic, and longevity is not in the same meg specs as I have to constantly reapply Le Dix, however it does always draw compliments, so to me it stands alone as itself rather than a poor comparison to such unachievable status as No 5.

I wore this in the '90s and loved the wistfulness and elegance of the violet accord. A couple of years ago I bought another bottle (the EDT) and was stunned by the contrast with my remembered, cherished scent. The new version was sharp, raspy (aldehydic), more powdery, and lacking the smooth translucence of the original. (In fact, it reminded me somewhat of Chanel No. 5, whose aldehydes smell ragged and harsh on my skin.) Yet another abomination of reformulation, no doubt. A tender masterpiece destroyed.

To say that Le Dix is a copy of No5 might be just too unfair , I know I have said it as well, but Le Dix doesn't really deserve to be compared in that way, I think. There are many similarities, but in the end, I think Le Dix wins. I think of this scent as one of the fragrances that you just have to smell for better or for worse, once in your lifetime. The thing is, Le dix has a certain smell that may give you the impression of melancholy and of longing for a love long lost, or for the sun setting in a horizon of a late spring… a sense of serenity, elegance and calm. This aldehydic scent has much less of that ingredient than the other big ones for ex. No5, Arpège, Je reviens,Mme.Rochas, or the “lesser knowns” like While Linen, Estée Super or even Calandre, and it also has a certain sweeter feel to it at least on the mid notes that are never too strong, think just a bit less sweet than for example, Calèche by Hermès, and much farther away than Après L'ondée. It's just on the same category as Chanel's Bois des Îles in my opinion and I think very,very highly of BdÎ. It's nothing of a shock to see that the same perfumer that created such an amazing scent as L'interdit(original) or L'air du temps had created this scent as well. I won't go into the notes because they are well known. I can say that the violets here are stronger and less powdery than I expected. It's smooth like the burnished metal of a gold watch, but without the overtly sharp metal tones, almost like an untouched gold surface I should say. In this journey you might encounter that the burst aldehydes, then of flowers becomes comfort-green and darker with sparkles or light and then glides into warmer, velvety woods. It's very french, very classic, and very melancholic.The ones in the know, have always agreed: Le Dix is an underappreciated jewel, like some great diamond that is locked away in a rosewood safe, in a breezy mountain, far away.