Reviews of La Vie est Belle

Overall

La Vie est Belle by Lancôme

Add your review of La Vie est Belle

Reviews of La Vie est Belle by Lancôme

There are 30 reviews of La Vie est Belle by Lancôme.

This fragrance gets a lot of hate mail. I don’t think it’s warranted in this case. It’s a sweet, and very addictive patchouli, praline and Tonka, and it’s made even more alluring with the use of sweet juicy pear and orange blossom. You do have to enjoy sweet fragrances to like this, but if you do, it’s hard not to like. The other thing that’s amazing here, is the performance. It doesn’t seem like most modern perfumes have much longevity these days, but this is not lacking here. In fact, this one is incredibly strong and projects very well, so go easy on the atomizer. But it will last all day!

The life is beautiful/life is beautiful. I don't care for man made food & chemical notes of the modern perfume world. I tried the perfumed body creme and it wasn't bad at all. I use a dash on pulse points, so not much. It's not too starring, stayed close to me. I didn't get cheap, chemical smell at all. It's nice.

I watched a Jeremy Fragrance Top Women's Perfumes video on YouTube and decided to try them all. I don't regret the experience, but it reinforced how we all have olfactory bias. His is candy sweet with a touch of praline.
Unfortunately the praline is an aromachemical that's been a bugaboo for me since forever. It always smells like burnt caramel to me and ruins any fragrance it's in. When that note's combined with fruit it becomes worse, like burnt fruit stew. Yeah, it's as bad as it sounds. So many of his recommendations were really bad to me.
I've heard about La Vie Est Belle for years, so I don't know if this one started a trend, like popular ones invariably do, or if it'’s copying the dna of a prior popular one (as perfumes invariably do). But I don't really care, they're all swimming in the same school of fish. Most of the ones I sampled in this group smelled of the same burnt fruity caramel.
I can see why it would be popular if you don't have aromachemical issues. It's bright, fun, vivacious, a little bit party-girl, sassy, feminine, sweet. But, like I said, it's similar to many other fragrances that can be described exactly the same way. There's not a lot of depth, and a herd mentality, but really, if it's a fragrance you like that shouldn't matter.
When you find this many similar ones you have the choice of picking the one you like most. But I have to pass on the whole school of fish.

It's actually called La vie est belle l'eau de parfum on my carded sample so it gave me some confusion - at first I thought that's some strange flanker that's not in directory, but no, apparently this is the full name of original La vie est belle.

LVEB line gets a lot of hate among perfumistas, but it's actually a very likeable sweet, feminine and lovely floriental-iris-gourmand scent. A bit too pink for my taste (at least the bottle is definitely too pink for my taste), but it is not that suffocating unbearably sweet monster it's often made out to be. It's a cozy, optimistic and romantic scent. You know what? The bad reputation it gets is probably because of people who spray waaay too much - it is very potent. A little goes a long way, keep that in mind and keep your friends and colleagues sane.

I frequent perfume stores a lot because I like doing sniffing trips after work to distract myself a bit and it's getting hard to count the times I've seen various ladies coming to sniff perfumes, not really liking anything much, and - guess what - after a sales associate shows them La vie est belle, I see their faces light up. And then they say: yes, this one is nice, I like this one! And then they buy it. Because it is very likeable indeed, and the name is inspiring, too - don't we all want our lives to be beautiful?

La vie est belle might be a snobby perfumista repellent, because it's so sweet and likeable and pink and so ultramegapopular to the point it becomes oh so boring, but it's so damn popular for a reason. And that reason is that it's actually blended nicely and women love it - they just do. And my inner hipster might be all ironic about it, but hey, I must admit I'm just another woman, too.

(And Cook.bot's review of this scent is the best thing on this site. Read it, read it. My review is a peasant's one, but that one is an art.)

Dark red-acid fruchouli meets cheap iris oriental.

Modern miniature from box set

An unmistakably oriental-floral perfume from Lancome!

With praline and vanilla as the strongest notes present in La Vie Est Belle, you've entered into touchy territory where you'll either love it or leave it. LVEB is no-nonsense in the strength and sillage department, which is in itself a really clean and well-made perfume per se. But as other reviewers correctly warn, this one can be easily overapplied and cause annoyance rather than charm to those who are in its wake.

When sprayed on with discretion, LVEB is a scintillating, beautiful expression that exudes fun and friendliness! :-)

Super sweet, delicious, edible fragrance, but a little definitely goes a long way! This scent had a whole room talking in the evening, hours after initial application. I don't typically like my fragrance to be quite that loud, so I'd stick to just one light spritz on my next wear. But it is delectable, feminine, almost cupcake like and quite addictive.

La Vie Est Belle

The candy is abundant. (The maturity, redundant.)
The fruits are glacée. (The passers-by will surely pay.)
The flowers are limp. (The meek demeanour of a wimp.)
The width is a mile. (The people request exile.)
The depth is a micron. (The classic perfumery is gone.)
The patchouli is... where? (The hippies say a prayer.)
The sillage is choking. (The perfumistas are all balking.)
The persistence is relentless. (The wearers, all repentless.)

The Julia Roberts is smiling. (The sheep are single filing.)
The cash registers are ringing. (The fat cats are all singing.)

The life may be beautiful.
The fragrance is a bore.

Credits:
Original review by Cook.bot
Greek chorus by Suspended

It opens with some fruity scents then quickly dries down into praline, vanilla and patchouli scents. The praline is dominant. Though the patchouli tends to balance it with some earthiness, it doesn't seem to be enough. I find it at the limit of being cloying sweet even with one spritz. Plus I have difficulty to associate the fragrance with the supposed image of a 'beautiful life'. I'm not very inspired. But the longevity is 9h+ and the sillage is quite good.

After I tested it again, I insist using it sparingly. Not only just one spritz but one litte spritz. This time I detect the fruits and floral scents much better and they helped a lot to pull the praline back from being cloying sweet.

Originall written in 2013

Excellent silage and very long-lasting. But to me, this smells like a little girl's perfume. Too sweet, no depth. It isn't saying anything new.

À strong and sweet floral that can be a bit itchy for the nose in the opening.
A mix of flower that's quite average. Nothing new. Good sillage and longevity.

I have got to say that this is THE STRONGEST perfume I've ever owned. I own and have owned many perfumes, but this one tops the list of the strongest. It lasts for about three days on me, yes I said 3, it has that much lasting power. Let me tell you, if you're not ready for this, then don't buy it, it can be very clingy. It's sweet. There are some days that I cannot wear it, I have to be in the mood and with a strong stomach to wear it. It can be very overwhelming, so please, only spray a little bit and on parts of the body that are away from the face, like the wrists and the backs of your knees. Not for the office. It's a night time perfume. It's nice though too strong.

La Vie Est Belle Lancome smells, in its final wake, like a synth powdery combination of dusty iris, red berries, powdery balsams and praline. Opening is immediately fruity (pear and orange enjoyable in a more specifically spicy-balmy and smothly powdery way). Smelling the wake from a certain distance it seems to catch the aroma of a sort of ideal Dior Homme Intense's fruitiest flanker but after a more focused test you can detect a more propery feminine trait, a fruitier approach and this standout note of praline (nutty, orangy-berrish and powdery) mastering the dry down (in its connection with synth red fruitiness). I detect a certain soapy/floral/suede-oriented muskiness typically sweetish and feminine (sensual) in perfect tune with a sort of ideal (apparent or real?) "Lancomenade" (synthetically berrish and musky suede-oriented) which I frankly don't crave for and that I pick up as well in scents as Hypnose Homme to quote one from the same brand. There is in particular a synth (kind of oppressive, darkly berrish, tart and plastic) vibe which I detect in several feminine Paco Rabanne's (as Black Excess for her) or in various dark accords a la Renato Balestra Diamante Nero (but in a softer, less patchouli-veined and less gloomy way). In its complex the juice is acceptable (while lingering in the more powerfully synth range) but nothing providing a real sense of class, articulation or mystery to a woman with the goal of impressing the onlookers with a personal olfactory status.

Sweet praline and various flowers.It is very sweet and long wearing. Not ground breaking but my pleasant to my nose and people around me.

I love it Very mature and sweet. Perfect scent for the Fall and Winter or night time.

Reminds me of Lacoste's Touch of Pink- sweet, sickly, cloying and likely to cause me headaches. The scent is nothing unusual and smells like many generic cheaper perfumes. Looking at the list of components, I am surprised I do not like it- perhaps the combination does not work for me.

Incredibly luscious and deliciously sweet. what a hug scent!a delicious vanilla gourmand that is as sensual as it is feminine a delectable scent.Men are attracted to it like bees to honey and women never fail to express love and ask "what is that lovely perfume you are wearing"? these words describe this fragrance: feminine,yummy,tasty,warm, surprising,gorgeous,sweet and creamy.

The pear and black currant on top serve as merely the introduction into more exciting and addictive aromas such as iris,jasmine and orange blossom along with vanilla,tonka bean,praline and patchouli in the dry down.if he is got even a little bit of a sweet tooth, he is doomed!it makes you smell flirty and sensual at the same time.it is too sweet but i love it from the begin until the end.

You are able to wear it from morning to Evening.you simply want to eat and makes you feel hungry.this lovely EDP is perfect for any occasion especially a cocktail party or Intimate occasion in a cold evening.if you are looking for a perfume to make your boyfriend or your husband notice you,LA VIE EST BELLE is for you.a weet scent for a sweetheart.

This reminds me of Angel with too much powder. Enough said.

The pear - not an infrequent component in Lancôme products - with berry notes is fairly sweet but never cloying. Tonka, iris and jasmine determine the drydown and are overall well done, with a hint of patchouli added. Adequate silage and projection with three hours of longevity. A nice one, pleasantly sweet, floral and light - spring comes to mind.

The only truly sweet perfume that I adore.My son and daughter bought this for me for Christmas and I haven't worn much of it until recently. I am pretty "dull" with my go-to fragrances, as it's generally Chanel or Gucci. Once I started using this, I cannot tell you how many men have commented, complimented or just sort of sniffed me. I've been told I smell like caramel candy, vanilla toffee and just plain yummy. My boyfriend has shifted his love of No. 5 Eau Premiere to this. As for myself, I am surprised at just how much I have started to like it. It last all day on me and while it starts off sweet, it dries to a pleasant, creamy-like finish. It is not cloying or obnoxious, but the level of sweet may overpower some people (though I have yet to find that person). Everyone I meet seems to LOVE it.Pros: Long lasting, men LOVE it on meCons: Not for those that dislike candy, girlish scents"

smells just like pralinei guess you either have to love or hate Gormand perfumes. For me this is far far to sweet for anyone to wear. it honestly smells just like a shop full of praline , toffee, and chocolate. ot maybe even a toffee apple. if that is what you are looking for then you will love this. after a whilt the sweetnes fades and it becomes softer and more floral, but i don't find it at all attractivePros: is you want to smell like a toffee shop this is for youCons: sickly sweet"

life is beautiful I really really love this fragrance! It's really sweet, but luckily the patchouli tones down the sweetness and prevents it from being cloying. It's really femenine and sparkly, without being a young-girl scent. I want to get my hands on it right now!!Pros: long-lastingCons: if you don't like sweet fragrances"

Traumatic memories of too much Tresor in years past have left me very wary of Lancome; but this very lovely fragrance has won me over. The dusty powder of the iris–which can go so very wrong (as it does, I think, in Tresor)–is kept in check by the damp sweetness of all the gourmand notes, which are themselves restrained almost to abstraction. Tonka bean gives the whole composition a comforting gravity. I do not like it one bit, but I can't stop smelling it. That's a winner.

With a name like that you've got to be aiming at putting a smile on the wearer's face, and to its credit La Vie Est Belle, even while showing all the telltale signs of design by committee, is a good stab at conveying the spirit of optimism in olfactory terms.
First, it gives people what they like. There's something sweet for our diabetic age: patchouli, praline, tonka, treated in a carefree, candy floss manner. Images of Isabella Lwin romping on a beach against a dayglo sky, singing I Want Candy come to my mind (‘You're the guy the doctor ordered/ So sweet you make my mouth water'). There are tart, bouncy, fruity notes for contrast; shorthand for youthfulness, it would appear. The floral notes are light, abstracted and stripped of indolic portentousness, so white floral haters can approach without fear.
Second, it disdains obvious complexity and depth; nothing is going to weigh down its tread. Of course the perfumers (three were involved) would probably disagree, it likely takes considerable fine tuning to balance the notes.
On that question of balance, it would be remiss not mention the iris, which is calmly right at the centre of this perfume, bringing a touch of something vegetal and aloof, around which revolve the other tailwagging puppy dog notes.
Does it make me go, Oh wow just what I've been waiting for? No. There are way too many of these kinds of creations out there; it's a kind of Disneyfication of perfumery aimed at women. Nonetheless, it is skilful in what it does and many will take it to their hearts. It's also the kind of perfume one could safely gift to someone who likes wearing perfume but doesn't have pronounced tastes.