La Pausa / 28 La Pausa Eau de Toilette

Overall

About La Pausa / 28 La Pausa Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Chanel
Jacques Polge

One of six new fragrances for Chanel's "Les Exclusifs" range created by Chanel master perfumer 258.

28 La Pausa is an iris-based fragrance and is named after a house owned by Mlle. Chanel in the South of France.

Reviews of La Pausa / 28 La Pausa Eau de Toilette by Chanel

There are 43 reviews of La Pausa / 28 La Pausa Eau de Toilette by Chanel.

La Pausa EdP and 28 La Pausa EdT are obviously based on the same Iris accord, but the EdP is rounder and more persistent. It may be the one case where the Exclusifs EdP improved on the original EdT. But then, it depends what you’re after.

28 LP is a gossamer thing, an elegant wisp that slips from your grasp just as you’ve wrapped your fingers around it. Then, when you think it would escape, it reveals a stealth base that sustains light but long. It’s lovely but dry and spare, “feminine” only in the sense of some presumed distaff delicacy.

LP EdP adds longevity and performance. The peppercorns and vetiver are more pronounced, yet they have the effect of buoying the iris pallida rather than drowning it. There’s a modern WAC in there, but it’s neither cheap not oversaturated. Why this should be classified as feminine is a mystery to me, as it’s easily unisex—I dare say more “butch” than the original iris-centric Dior Homme.

Polge the Elder did a fine job with both LPs. If you want a fragrance that lasts, the EdP is the clear winner. But it may be that the memory of the EdT will last longer still.
Sep 14, 2021

Iris. Powder. dusty. Old iris. New iris. Slightly earthy iris. It's iris - what more can be said. Yeah, it is pretty. After a bit, I smell something underneath. Vaguely like pear or some other fruit. It's faint. Cedar maybe? Confused...

This Chanel doesn't last long on me. It is gone too soon. Not very memorable either. Meh. I hate to have to give a neutral rating for a Chanel. I have other iris scents that give me more of a thrill.
Mar 23, 2019

A beautiful and luxurious iris perfume, the top notesin La Pausa come off almost identically as the Orris Abs. vials in Chanel's demonstration perfumers' organs in boutiques.

The orris here is soft, mellow and above all creamy and waxy, distinguishing it from other iris heavy fragrances like Malle's Iris Poudre which often bring out the nostalgic, powdery accents of iris. Not here. The iris is buttery and effortless, almost like freshly laundered white sheets with a hint of expensive makeup left on them from the day before.

Besides the iris, there is little else to discern to my nose, hence the similarities to this and pure Orris abs. (per Chanel). La Pausa is whimsical, nonchalant and cheery, like a happy American heiress from the 1940s who went to French finishing school.

Unfortunately, longevity is the deal-breaker for me here as La Pausa becomes a skin scent about 1.5 hours in. Not even having sillage enough to waft and catch your nose at moments, I have to put my nose against my wrist to catch anything of it.

In the drydown, the gentle scent has it's cool iris descend into an almost translucent, watery floral- the lack of anything musky or powdery to my nose is interesting. At this stage 4 hours in, the whole fragrance reminds me distinctly of Pomelo (as in the fruit), watery, chilly, slightly bitter rind and containing the faintest floral note of orange blossom.

Beautiful, but of course it doesn't last.
Aug 31, 2018

Chanel’s signature iris accord as in more of Les Exclusifs;
Ambretty-green-rooty-powdery.
Just marvelous and realistic type of orris, reminiscent of high orris butter/absolute.
Feb 18, 2018

At fist sniff it reminds me of Nu (YSL). And then after couple of minutes it - wait- did I forget to put on my perfume?
Two additional puffs on my wrist, each puff on one wrist, no rubbing them against each other of course, two puffs on the neck, again one on each side. The air around me smells opulent. My husband loves the fragrance and how it grows on my skin. After half an hour he leans over and asks me why I don't wear any perfume any more. Big thumb down I'm afraid. One of most expensive 30 minutes of my life...

Apr 27, 2017

Show more reviews of La Pausa / 28 La Pausa Eau de Toilette...

Add your review of La Pausa / 28 La Pausa Eau de Toilette