Reviews of Kouros
Yves Saint Laurent (1981)

Overall

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Add your review of Kouros

Reviews of Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

There are 368 reviews of Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent.

The crown obviously became too heavy!! This is what you would call a 'woke' version of so called King Kouros. This 56 year old man used to pinch borrow his older brothers kouros, gentleman Givenchy, Polo etc....
This version of Kouros and 2 bought this week online and Dept store smell the same little animalic odour ...Yes It can be worn for work no problems, It Is weak projection and longevity and synthetic as hell...however I still love it. Ted Lapidus kicks it for pungency and Boss number one beats it for natural acceptance on the nose and I have both types of bottles ..new bottle smells the same btw as the square ribbed bottle. Believe me this will be the new King but long live the king, the king is dead...I'm stocking up on Hugo because it is the number one now for OL' SCHOOL designer animalics. But kouros still gets a thumbs up, however wish I had a vintage.

Just recieved a 2013 Edt, one spray on neck at work and It lasted about an hour, then became a faint skin scent, but I was smoking a cigar, so I may have missed a bit. Fast forward a few hours at home, beard sprayed, neck and hand. This fragrance is great--smells like Loban incense from India. Initial blast takes me to a Texas icehouse dive bar men's room, the one with the long, 12 foot urinal. After that, I get a lot of floral, woody, powdery incense and a faint leathery musk also. I love this stuff, I put 3 hefty sprays on before bed too. I will definately be blasting myself with this and a half a spray of Ajmal dahn al Shams oudh. Body Kouros is the next fragrance to be tested. Incidentally, I have come across alot of incense from India with this almost exact Kouros scent. The one I have now is Loban agarbatis(stick incense) Natural Loban Agarbati by, Shah or Rue E Loban by, Shah industries. My local Indian grocery store carries both.

I just sprayed my forearm with this and it's triggering that time I got sprayed by a male mountain lion. Tried getting it off with hand sanitizer but it's not budging.

For me there is nothing divisive about Kouros, it is a fantastic fragrance pure and simple. A masterpiece by Pierre Bourdon that since it was released 40 years ago has been steadfastly popular, masculine and beautifully blended. I can only speak about the older formulation however, as my bottle is circa 2006. My bottle has lasted me so long because Kouros is a strong performing fragrance and it is a bold fragrance for certain occasions and moods. I first smelt Kouros on a sample card attached to a magazine advertisement back in the late 1980s. I was an adolescent at the time and Kouros captivated me. I thought it was strong, masculine, sophisticated and sexy. 30 odd years later and I still love it.
While many people notice the civet, which can be off putting for some, there is actually a lot going on in Kouros. In the opening the oakmoss is strong along with some citrus and aldehydes. Of course there is that powerful musk that starts to kick in from the opening, along with the tonka bean. The sharp opening settles down and the scent becomes more powdery and the floral notes come to the fore, tampered by leather and a hint of cinnamon. All of it is perfectly blended in a way that you would expect from a perfumer who had mastered his craft.
I find Kouros to be a strong and confidence inspiring fragrance. I would not wear it to the office or close work occasions. It is suitable for a date night, parties or just weekends when you want something confident, bold and complex. The oakmoss in the opening may make this fragrance take on a dated vibe, but the dry-down of this scent can compete with the best contemporaries. Kouros lasts all day on my skin, again I'm reviewing an older formulation, and the projection is excellent. One of the favourites in my collection.

Kouros by Yves Saint Lautent is heavy, animalistic and has features of chypre perfumes. It is essentially timeless and expresses masculinity in the terms of Ancient Greece.

Kouros is loaded with animalistic notes (musk, civet, leather, honey) that make up this carnal leading accord. In this leading accord, aromatic herbs and aldehydes with flowers are immersed.

Aldehydes are in the foreground. Metallic, watery, sharp, clearly in the style of years gone by. This is Kouros' hallmark, its impossible to forge staple. The green, covered by moss layer gives the blend a primordial masculine character. The green accords present in the mixture are cold and surrounded by gray sage. The base, on the other hand, gains a little bit of resinous, warm amber tones.

Just an absolute beast ass kicker of a fragrance, very strong very masculine, beats the piss out of anything made today ! But it is definitely not for everyone so look at the note break down compare to fragrances you like/own/currently wear before you buy it or get a sample for e legitimate test run. Kouros is in my top 3 fragrances for life ! An amazingly close dead on 99.9% clone of kouros for only 9$ is “The Man Silver” by Milton Lloyd. Get it on eBay or amazon or Milton Lloyd website it's so cheap and of such high quality lasts for 24 hours on me

Dirty great male pudenda barely covered by a fig leaf of bathroom cleanliness.

The modern version has been censored

I'm not too big into classic men's fragrances in general. Often things with oakmoss or some other classic notes tend to come off very soapy to me. But, I also haven't really tried too many, so I figure I should.

Still, it comes as no surprise to me that Kouros isn't for me. The strong civet note and the soapiness of the oakmoss combine to create a kind of urinal cake smell when up close. And really that proximity is the issue. It's not something where you can put your wrist up to your nose and take a sniff (something I love to do with my favorite fragrances). It's definitely better from far away, which is just not my style.

Male goats smell good. But only to female goats. For human noses, try Antaeus. Sorry Kouros.

Similar to Aramis, only better. Less dry, I think.

My thumb is barely up, mostly sideways.

I've tried both a vintage version (from the 90s) and the current version (as of 2019).

The vintage is indeed "dirtier." Kind of nauseating actually. I wanted to experience the legendary "gladiator jock strap" odor of this thing and... well... be careful what you wish for. It's just not very pleasant. I don't get any urine or fecal smells. It's just kind of ew.

The current reformulation is actually somewhat better to my nose. It has a more incense quality. Still keeping the animalic notes but masking them a bit with spice. Only in the drydown will you experience what the original was and by then it's a skin scent where it belongs.

Both have excellent longevity.

I was looking for something that was bold and outrageous and unapologetically masculine, but the original is just kind of gross. It doesn't smell so much like a sweaty guy as it does a dead animal dipped in potpourri.

If you want to try this, go ahead. But don't get upset if you can't find the vintage stuff, and certainly don't spend big bucks for it. It's not actually wearable in public whereas the new stuff is. Barely.

I tried the eau de toilette of this. Don't get me wrong, I love sweet fragrances for men, but THIS. It smells DISGUSTING. Don't be fooled by all the positive reviews, most of them are talking about the vintage version (that I've never tried and probably will never try but I assume it smelled better than the current version). This strongly smells like those flowers that reek of piss. I'm not kidding you. PISS. It makes me want to throw up. This cologne is masculine in all the wrong ways. It's an abomination. I don't even know how they managed to create something that smells so foul, sweet and macho at the same time. DON'T buy this before testing is. Or even better; don't buy this at all.

I get a soapy rich base laced with anise and a pinch of honey to that anise.White flowers lurking in the mix.This is very musky...in fact the most I've detected in any fragrance.

This is a fragrance I find disgusting because I just find a jokingly toilet reference behind this scent's design, the bottle, and the musk.

The musk comes off as having some kind of fecal similarity that's gone in about 30 minutes but it's unsettling and just gross. The other notes shape this kind of dimension that you're in a white marble decorated bathroom in a restaurant or hotel. Some kind of anise infused custom soap and a vase of flowers on the white marble sink. Turning around behind you is a toilet that contains fecal matter that hasn't been flushed.

I have no idea why someone would want to smell like they spent the night sleeping on a public restroom floor...disgusting.

Kouros was a ancient hero who was said to have climbed a mountain and found the doorway to Mount Olympus the home of the Gods. The God's were impressed with this manly hero and the way he carried himself in their presence. Zeus the Father of the Gods gave Kouros the divine ambrosia to take back to Earth.

This ambrosia was said to give immortality if drunk and if worn as a fragrance make women and men fall down in awe before you. Kouros as the hero he was shared this ambrosia elixir of the Gods with mighty Kings and princes of the world.

Many hundreds of years later another hero by the name of Odysseus found the ambrosia at the tree of life at the end of the world. He wanted to share this divine elixir with normal men and not just Kings and great Princes. So he copied the fragrance with the best ingredients he could find. He called it Kouros in honor of the great hero from hundreds of years ago who did climb a mountain and enter the realm of the God's.

Thousands of years later a young perfumery called Yves Saint Laurent was said to have found the ancient parchment in a old Greek temple hand written by Odysseus himself. He took this formula and worked day and night and then in 1981 he released it to the world and like Odysseus he called it Kouros in honor of one of the greatest heroes known to mankind.

For many years real men have enjoyed this juice, it may have changed over the years but it's Spirit lived on.

Unfortunately when Yves Saint Laurent died and the company was taken over by L Oreal the scent was butchered. Some say in the old Greek temples they can hear the Gods cry and lamenting the greatest gift they gave man is no more.

Lets us not forget the greatness of Kouros!

OMG vintage...
Go easy on the trigger,
Smells like awesome!

Oh, wow, I hate it. It's so good but I can't stand it. Never again, but well done.

In vintage, possibly the greatest achievement in male perfumery of all time.
Seriouslish

It smells like a construction worker who accidentally sprayed a fake sweet perfume on his dirty clothes. It is the first scent where in a matter of seconds after the first sniff i almost puked. The biggest mistake was that i also sprayed it on my wirst. I felt like a skunk in a perfume store.

Had a sample of this a few years ago, didn't really like it but didn't think it was horrible. Got another sample and actually kind of liked it. Not sure why people say it's so horrible. Never tried it in the 80's so I have no idea what the original smelled like. It's a classic and worth experiencing.

9 Mar 2019. changed from neutral to thumbs up. Come on it's Kouros, it is what it is and I think I've been converted.

Kouros might present a challenge: we are physically animals, and rather than shunning everything animalaic, we can connect with it.

Who wants to taste nothing but mouth wash in a kiss.

Can women want to smell something more than soap on a man's skin?

Kouros acknowledges skin alive on an animal and the an animalaic side we don't have to repress.

clean and dirty like the male animal.

Lift up a women's hair and smell the back of her neck; her natural skin scent.

There is so much batch variation with Kouros.

wondering if anyone else has tried 38M800?

it is
SKANKY - almost sourced from the groin of an ALPHA MALE
FLORAL - like some lady's scent rubbed of on the groin
SWEET - like they were playing with honey

basically: smells like sheets after a couple used them

Sweet masculine fragrance. Women like it very much. Mature women to be precise. Next please....

Never really liked it but wore it in the late eighties as I had a lot of positive comments.

Sweet and slightly fresh, not lemony, hairy chests and medallions, perhaps a classic.

Good projection and longevity...

If it was not still pricey I would give it a second chance (or is it third now?)

From the YSL range, for my taste, JAZZ is the king

It is almost impossible for me to dislike Kouros as it's in my dna. I have been wearing this stuff since I was 14 years old. I had a little break in my mid 20's but can't really remember any other time when I didn't have a bottle.

Powerful, manly, animalistic................But at the same time very fresh!!

I can see how the younger generation might not like it. It is so far removed from what they are used to. It bleeds testosterone.

I still think it's great even in it's current formulation and one could argue that it has benefited from being turned down a few notches.

There is a dirty vibe for sure but it is always overpowered by the clean notes.

One of the greatest fragrances ever created by my favorite perfumer Pierre Bourdon.