Kouros
Yves Saint Laurent (1981)

Overall

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

About Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Yves Saint Laurent
Pierre Bourdon
Alain de Mourgues

YSL's best selling men's fragrance and features in the best seller lists most years. The fragrance is distinctly woody, and the bottle based on Greek Architecture.
FIFI award winner in 1982

Where to buy Kouros

Reviews of Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

There are 368 reviews of Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent.

The crown obviously became too heavy!! This is what you would call a 'woke' version of so called King Kouros. This 56 year old man used to pinch borrow his older brothers kouros, gentleman Givenchy, Polo etc....
This version of Kouros and 2 bought this week online and Dept store smell the same little animalic odour ...Yes It can be worn for work no problems, It Is weak projection and longevity and synthetic as hell...however I still love it. Ted Lapidus kicks it for pungency and Boss number one beats it for natural acceptance on the nose and I have both types of bottles ..new bottle smells the same btw as the square ribbed bottle. Believe me this will be the new King but long live the king, the king is dead...I'm stocking up on Hugo because it is the number one now for OL' SCHOOL designer animalics. But kouros still gets a thumbs up, however wish I had a vintage.

Just recieved a 2013 Edt, one spray on neck at work and It lasted about an hour, then became a faint skin scent, but I was smoking a cigar, so I may have missed a bit. Fast forward a few hours at home, beard sprayed, neck and hand. This fragrance is great--smells like Loban incense from India. Initial blast takes me to a Texas icehouse dive bar men's room, the one with the long, 12 foot urinal. After that, I get a lot of floral, woody, powdery incense and a faint leathery musk also. I love this stuff, I put 3 hefty sprays on before bed too. I will definately be blasting myself with this and a half a spray of Ajmal dahn al Shams oudh. Body Kouros is the next fragrance to be tested. Incidentally, I have come across alot of incense from India with this almost exact Kouros scent. The one I have now is Loban agarbatis(stick incense) Natural Loban Agarbati by, Shah or Rue E Loban by, Shah industries. My local Indian grocery store carries both.

I just sprayed my forearm with this and it's triggering that time I got sprayed by a male mountain lion. Tried getting it off with hand sanitizer but it's not budging.

For me there is nothing divisive about Kouros, it is a fantastic fragrance pure and simple. A masterpiece by Pierre Bourdon that since it was released 40 years ago has been steadfastly popular, masculine and beautifully blended. I can only speak about the older formulation however, as my bottle is circa 2006. My bottle has lasted me so long because Kouros is a strong performing fragrance and it is a bold fragrance for certain occasions and moods. I first smelt Kouros on a sample card attached to a magazine advertisement back in the late 1980s. I was an adolescent at the time and Kouros captivated me. I thought it was strong, masculine, sophisticated and sexy. 30 odd years later and I still love it.
While many people notice the civet, which can be off putting for some, there is actually a lot going on in Kouros. In the opening the oakmoss is strong along with some citrus and aldehydes. Of course there is that powerful musk that starts to kick in from the opening, along with the tonka bean. The sharp opening settles down and the scent becomes more powdery and the floral notes come to the fore, tampered by leather and a hint of cinnamon. All of it is perfectly blended in a way that you would expect from a perfumer who had mastered his craft.
I find Kouros to be a strong and confidence inspiring fragrance. I would not wear it to the office or close work occasions. It is suitable for a date night, parties or just weekends when you want something confident, bold and complex. The oakmoss in the opening may make this fragrance take on a dated vibe, but the dry-down of this scent can compete with the best contemporaries. Kouros lasts all day on my skin, again I'm reviewing an older formulation, and the projection is excellent. One of the favourites in my collection.

Kouros by Yves Saint Lautent is heavy, animalistic and has features of chypre perfumes. It is essentially timeless and expresses masculinity in the terms of Ancient Greece.

Kouros is loaded with animalistic notes (musk, civet, leather, honey) that make up this carnal leading accord. In this leading accord, aromatic herbs and aldehydes with flowers are immersed.

Aldehydes are in the foreground. Metallic, watery, sharp, clearly in the style of years gone by. This is Kouros' hallmark, its impossible to forge staple. The green, covered by moss layer gives the blend a primordial masculine character. The green accords present in the mixture are cold and surrounded by gray sage. The base, on the other hand, gains a little bit of resinous, warm amber tones.

Just an absolute beast ass kicker of a fragrance, very strong very masculine, beats the piss out of anything made today ! But it is definitely not for everyone so look at the note break down compare to fragrances you like/own/currently wear before you buy it or get a sample for e legitimate test run. Kouros is in my top 3 fragrances for life ! An amazingly close dead on 99.9% clone of kouros for only 9$ is “The Man Silver” by Milton Lloyd. Get it on eBay or amazon or Milton Lloyd website it's so cheap and of such high quality lasts for 24 hours on me

Show more reviews of Kouros...

Add your review of Kouros