Kokorico
Jean Paul Gaultier (2011)

Overall

Annick Menardo

Kokorico is a men's fragrance launched in 2011 by Jean Paul Gaultier

Where to buy Kokorico

Reviews of Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier

There are 38 reviews of Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier.

Whenever self-aggrandizing bloggers, YouTubers, Instagrammers, or just fragrance "influencers" in general go on the foghorn about a scent being discontinued, particularly in the blow-hard spaces that are the relevance and clout-seeking "cologne bro" circles online (the majority of the "FragComm"), I tend to roll my eyes in derision, while leering at whatever they've decided to venerate as the next "lost masterpiece" with extreme suspicion. Kokorico by Jean-Paul Gaultier (2011) is an excellent case example of why I do this. And while this is an okay fragrance if you enjoy gourmands, there was nothing particularly groundbreaking or mind-blowing about it, save maybe the campy packaging that tends to follow all JPG releases anyway. Of course, if you go to places like Fragrantica, where the male populace mentally never leaves high school, you'll see a steady stream of mixed early reviews; then as you progress through the years, people start becoming confused about whether they like it or not after the first announcement of discontinuation (2018); then the confusion is replaced by love and worship as the hype grows with dwindling supply and the hysteria sets in. It's almost as if one's opinion of a scent in places like that is directly linked to how cool it will make one look "flexing" the bottle on social media, with that coolness measured by how rare of a bird the scent has become. Basenotes definitely has its discontinuation hipsters too, but at least they like to collect things decades removed from the market (and thus removed from the minds of most attention-seeking idiots), making such discourse easily ignored if it's not your cup of tea to chase "investment grade" fragrances.

The thing that made Kokorico special, or not so special depending on how you feel about it, was the fact that it brought a particular gourmand trope started in the realm of niche fragrances with L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain (2004), and moved it into the designer space with disastrous sales consequences. People already in the "FragComm" who were acquainted with the smell of "LIDG" when Kokorico first dropped were not super enthused about an also-ran which is 90% the same but with a few twists. For those of you who don't know the Guerlain but enjoy Kokorico, what you effectively get here is a slightly cheaper take, so if you don't want to pay the quickly-rising prices, just nab some L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme instead and call me in the morning. Also, you'll want the eau de toilette version and not the former "Extreme" (now eau de parfum version), which is a different balancing of the same notes. Here with Kokorico, the first of two major twists is the introduction of a fig leaf note in the beginning not found in the Guerlain. The second twist is we see a similar cocoa note open Kokorico, albeit a more intense chocolate than in the Guerlain. I'm not into really photo-realistic and bold chocolate notes, so this change for me in unsuitable. The rest is mostly a light gourmand soirée of patchouli, cedarwood, tonka, and vetiver with some vanilla in the background. Kokorico doesn't benefit from the complexity of the "Guerlinade" note Guerlain stuffed into L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, so the dry down gets thread-bare after that, but still nice enough, just not triple-digits nice. Wear time is about 7 hours with moderate sillage, and you can slide into fall with this from late summer, or from late winter into early spring. I picture this as being okay for a day out or perhaps an evening too, but not for work.

Kokorico has some pretty flamboyant packaging, and for that reason I do love Jean-Paul Gaultier; this is a man who absolutely gives no shits whatsoever about being openly, flamboyantly, unapologetically gay with his marketing of men's fragrances, and it's either something you adore, or learn to get over yourself about when you wear his scents; that or you just walk away (probably mad). The weird bust-shaped bottle that when turned sideways reveals a partial outline of the torso profile used on the original Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Mâle (1995) is a bit of packaging genius, although I'm not sure how I feel about the "tuna can" presentation of the outer shell housing said bottle. Jean Paul Gaultier made a flanker called Jean Paul Gaultier Kokorico By Night (2012), which was effectively compared to Very Irresistible for Men by Givenchy (2005) the same way this is compared to the erstwhile Guerlain, and it's even more expensive because it was more rare of a scent to find when it was being made. Changes with that one include a sweet rhubarb note in the opening for clubber use. So in short, if you want a version of L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme with a simpler, cleaner cedar profile in the finish, plus a tiny bit of fig in the opening, go for it if you have deep pockets. Hype-mongers evidently are trying to turn Kokorico into the next Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels (2011), but I reiterate that if you didn't get Kokorico earlier, already own L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, or you don't really care for Gourmands, this is a pass. If you've never smelled Kokorico or "LIDG", just get a mini of this with a full bottle of the latter and do an A to B test; don't be whipped into a froth over fear of missing out. I promise you, there are better designer gourmands out there. Neutral

Never seen or heard of this scent anywhere until I got back into the fragrance game earlier this year. I know JPG quite well, for once, they don't deliver though.

Kokorico is only mildly gourmand unlike what you hear on youtube and read elsewhere. A vague sweetness. A slight Lalique like classicalness is present even.

There is what seems like some sort of toffee and now that I read the notes list, yes, fig or plum. Cocoa, not with sugar but just the bitter stuff, is the note that's bending the fig towards toffee for me.

I'm not big on vetiver nor on classical at the moment, that's why I give it a negative but if you're a fan of vetiver and/or classical, you'll likely rate Kokorico neutral to positive.

Krazy, kooky fragrance in which I smell cacao, patchouli, vetiver, and cedar. It's brash at first, then settles down on my skin to something smooth like a fine scotch. I don't wear this often. When I do I am always surprised by this masculine scent. Because it exposes itself well, on me.

Oh! And it was created by two, of my favorite perfumers.

Superb scent from JPG...just got a bottle today, and right from the first spritz I was impressed. Being a huge fan of JPG's Le Male line, I wondered if I would be getting another oriental scent (a la Gaultier² from 2005) that was a distant spin-off of Le Male. Instead, I get a distinct, warm and woody semi-gourmand perception from Kokorico that lets me know this is NOT an unstated Le Male flanker.

Starts out very bright and spicy, settling right in to the cocoa bean heart note. Stays mellow and ambery, with the cedar wood providing a strong, peppery foundation for the fragrance to settle on.

Touches of this formula can be felt in Ralph Lauren's Polo Red Extreme, with the incense-stick cocoa bean vibe (although Polo Red Extreme is a MONSTER of a gourmand rave party in comparison). Kokorico definitely echoes other classic scents like Azzaro Visit and (the now defunct) Lanvin Arpege with its long lasting peppery/powdery quality.

Time will tell how I and others in my sphere will react to this dark wonder from Jean-Paul Gaultier. But I definitely don't see myself returning it asap as I had with my blind-buy of Gaultier² (too sweet and feminine). Keep those non-Le Male fragrances coming, JPG! ;^>

Kokorico is proof that there is a demand for selling pieces of wood doused in chocolate liqueur and a fig&musk-vodka. If Wood-Chunkz™ are as good as Kokorico, then customers will be happy to pay a modest amount for flavoured wood to gnaw on for hours.*

As for the Kokorico cologne, I rather like it for what it is and what it isn't. It's not too sweet, it's not heavy & brooding; it's a woody fragrance good enough to eat®.

* Patent Pending.

Been meaning to try this one.
Smells of clean clear notes (fig/dark chocolate/patch/cedary woody-ness).

So straight forward a fragrance it's hard to believe is mass market. That said, I think JPG could have marketed this differently...it would have sold well if snobbery was packaged into the deal: make it a prive line or exclusifs blend or whatever. Charge $300 box for it and the 'need a reason to pay more' crowd would have sung it's praises.

Heard the by Night flanker is even better, so I will be buying that as well.

Takes a while to like this, but it is very good.

Show more reviews of Kokorico...

Add your review of Kokorico