Je Reviens

Je Reviens by Worth

About Je Reviens by Worth

Worth
René Lalique

Resurrected in 2004 as Je Reviens Couture - a prestige fragrance. Previously the fragrance had slipped down into mass-market.

Where to buy Je Reviens

Reviews of Je Reviens by Worth

There are 50 reviews of Je Reviens by Worth.

My review is for the vintage parfum sampled from a recently opened Lalique flacon dated circa late 1940's to the mid 50's, upon application the aldehydes were understandably non existent drying down quickly to a powdery melange of orris, violette, French jasmine, May rose, lilac and daffodil/narcissus lasting surprisingly for several hours and becoming stronger and more concentrated adding notes of grey amber, vetyver, musk & oakmoss. This parfum would have been absolutely stunning when newly produced, still very powdery from the orris combined with the amber accord. Definitely swoon 'WORTH'y, I remember smelling this on a well dressed woman when dining out one night, so struck by it's beauty I inquired as to her perfume, she replied JE REVIENS, that was almost 40+ years ago, such is the power of olfactive memory. This fragrance was of it's time vampy and so 'au courant' just before the art deco era, the narcissus/jonquil is quite apparant during the terminal drydown eliciting the most exotic almost narcotic effect one would expect from a flower discovered on a far flung alien planet, Yes it is that other worldly or perhaps a rare orchid found in the interior of the amazon forest, the drydown lasted approximately 10 to 12 hours before finally fading out. For me it's obvious how the more modern eau de toillete pales compared to this parfum/extrait in fact it resembles the recent flanker Je Reviens'Couture' by Worth, I plan to decant some of this into a small vapo as this mode of metered application will dispense the correct dosage, if over applied this could become rather cloying & over the top, I will guard this unexpected windfall zealously along with other favorites in my burgeoning perfume horde, constantly scouring eBay does have it's rewards
A definite must for lovers of vintage fragrance...
My bottle is a round pale grey flask design stoppered with a sky blue ground glass plug (NOT bakelite), base details state R. Lalique French bottle 2 fl.oz The presentation box also contains a return ticket with a batch reference number of just over 14,000, same on the back of the box+56 grs. I believe this to be a low offering of the parfum, perhaps earlier than the 1940's ? stopper was sealed with a white transparent membrane and tied with a silver thread...

I have several versions of Je Reviens - 2 vintage colognes, Couture, and a cheapie EdT from around 2005.

New cheapie version: don't bother, it is dreadful.

My vintage cologne versions have held up pretty well, I think. They are lovely. These are both in a bottle that looks like the one pictured here, but clear glass, not blue. I have no idea how old they are.

The newer Je Reviens Couture is also lovely, and very close to the older colognes. It is much stronger and longer-lasting, and a bit more harsh at first spray, but really nice and unique. Imagine staying at the most luxurious European hotel - the sort where the doorman greets you by name when you arrive. In the marble bath of your room, there is an assortment of the most wonderful and uniquely-scented, French-milled soaps and shampoos. Je Reviens Couture smells like that soap. Floral, clean, crisp, and very, very expensive.

Both vintage and Couture can be found on line for good prices. I have never tried the extrait, but someday, maybe....

Launched into the teeth of the Great Depression Je Reviens is an austerity aldehyde - a boil washed No5 - its powdery rose and vetiver soon elbowed out by a domestic note like metal polish and floor wax.

The name means 'I'm coming back' and this seems oddly prophetic. Not only has JR returned in a (dreadful) modern Eau de Toilette, the younger feeling Eau de Cologne - with its head of citrus and bergamot has found an echo in the recent flanker No5 l'Eau.

Vintage EdT splash bottle, no box; vintage EdC splash, bottle in box

Je Reviens was one of the first fragrances I ever tried, and it remains one of my favorites. There have been many versions over the years, and I thought it might be worthwhile to say a few words about the ones I'm familiar with.

I have several vintage minis and a Lalique skyscraper bottle of the parfum. Aldehydes and delicate florals sit on a vetiver and coumarin base that almost smells camphorous. The parfum is somewhat sharper and greener than the vintage cologne or Parfum de Toilette. (There is no current version of the parfum.) In terms of strength, longevity and sillage, it is the faintest of all the versions reviewed here.

Vintage EDC is wonderful. I have two bottles, and heaven knows how, but they've managed to hold onto their most delicate notes - highly recommended.

There was a Parfum de Toilette in the 70s that is good - not as full-bodied as vintage ECD, but respectable and instantly recognizable as Je Reviens.

The current EDT is dreadful - thin, sharp, chemical, unworthy.

In 2004, Je Reviens Couture EDP was introduced in an effort to restore Je Reviens to its original glory; it might have been reformulated in 2010 to coincide with the House of Worth's short-lived return to the haute couture world, but documentation is scarce. I have two bottles, and determining their production years is impossible because Worth (to the best of my knowledge) is not included in batch code websites. One bottle has a strong chemical opening, but it soon dries down to the lovely scent that I first smelled in the late 1960s; the other bottle smells good right out of the atomizer.

If you're trying to decide which version of Je Reviens to purchase, my recommendation would be to find a bottle of Je Reviens Couture (still available online, though in diminishing numbers); or look for a boxed vintage bottle of parfum or EDC. The PDT from the 70s is widely available on eBay at reasonable prices, but is not as good as vintage EDC. Don't bother with the current EDT.

Je Reviens wears close to the skin; it whispers. Longevity is fleeting in all versions except Couture. Sillage and projection are minimal.

This was my absolute favourite as a child in the '70s - I think the blue colour got me - the perfume came in a disk shaped bottle and the liquid was a lovely midnight blue. My mother used to let me use it, and one fine early '80s day, I took the bottle with me on a night out, wearing a white jacket. The bottle broke and the blue stain on that jacket smelled divine for years afterwards. Oddly, I can't find any references to blue liquid (as opposed to bottle ) Je Reviens, but my memory is of blue liquid..

I've always loved the overtone of something vaguely chemical in this and was interested to read that this is due to salicylates. It's floral but not sweet, has a spicy woody background, and still smells good (in the 'Couture' version). However it doesn't have the heft and body it had in my memories. If I didn't have the memory of what this was in my impressionable youth, I don't know how I'd feel about it.

I have two different, modern version bottles of this. One smells better than the other. One is too aldehydic; the other is much more floral. I've been buying Je Reviens since the early 1980's. It has gone downhill somewhat; lost its charm. Still, it is unique compared to other aldehyde-prominent fragrances I own. I keep this around for sentimental reasons. I would not really recommend this one if you want a classic floral. Find vintage, if you can.

Show more reviews of Je Reviens...

Add your review of Je Reviens