Je Reviens

Overall

About Je Reviens by Worth

Worth
René Lalique

Resurrected in 2004 as Je Reviens Couture - a prestige fragrance. Previously the fragrance had slipped down into mass-market.

Where to buy Je Reviens

Reviews of Je Reviens by Worth

There are 49 reviews of Je Reviens by Worth.

I have several versions of Je Reviens - 2 vintage colognes, Couture, and a cheapie EdT from around 2005.

New cheapie version: don't bother, it is dreadful.

My vintage cologne versions have held up pretty well, I think. They are lovely. These are both in a bottle that looks like the one pictured here, but clear glass, not blue. I have no idea how old they are.

The newer Je Reviens Couture is also lovely, and very close to the older colognes. It is much stronger and longer-lasting, and a bit more harsh at first spray, but really nice and unique. Imagine staying at the most luxurious European hotel - the sort where the doorman greets you by name when you arrive. In the marble bath of your room, there is an assortment of the most wonderful and uniquely-scented, French-milled soaps and shampoos. Je Reviens Couture smells like that soap. Floral, clean, crisp, and very, very expensive.

Both vintage and Couture can be found on line for good prices. I have never tried the extrait, but someday, maybe....
Aug 1, 2021

Launched into the teeth of the Great Depression Je Reviens is an austerity aldehyde - a boil washed No5 - its powdery rose and vetiver soon elbowed out by a domestic note like metal polish and floor wax.

The name means 'I'm coming back' and this seems oddly prophetic. Not only has JR returned in a (dreadful) modern Eau de Toilette, the younger feeling Eau de Cologne - with its head of citrus and bergamot has found an echo in the recent flanker No5 l'Eau.

Vintage EdT splash bottle, no box; vintage EdC splash, bottle in box
Nov 28, 2019

Je Reviens was one of the first fragrances I ever tried, and it remains one of my favorites. There have been many versions over the years, and I thought it might be worthwhile to say a few words about the ones I'm familiar with.

I have several vintage minis and a Lalique skyscraper bottle of the parfum. Aldehydes and delicate florals sit on a vetiver and coumarin base that almost smells camphorous. The parfum is somewhat sharper and greener than the vintage cologne or Parfum de Toilette. (There is no current version of the parfum.) In terms of strength, longevity and sillage, it is the faintest of all the versions reviewed here.

Vintage EDC is wonderful. I have two bottles, and heaven knows how, but they've managed to hold onto their most delicate notes - highly recommended.

There was a Parfum de Toilette in the 70s that is good - not as full-bodied as vintage ECD, but respectable and instantly recognizable as Je Reviens.

The current EDT is dreadful - thin, sharp, chemical, unworthy.

In 2004, Je Reviens Couture EDP was introduced in an effort to restore Je Reviens to its original glory; it might have been reformulated in 2010 to coincide with the House of Worth's short-lived return to the haute couture world, but documentation is scarce. I have two bottles, and determining their production years is impossible because Worth (to the best of my knowledge) is not included in batch code websites. One bottle has a strong chemical opening, but it soon dries down to the lovely scent that I first smelled in the late 1960s; the other bottle smells good right out of the atomizer.

If you're trying to decide which version of Je Reviens to purchase, my recommendation would be to find a bottle of Je Reviens Couture (still available online, though in diminishing numbers); or look for a boxed vintage bottle of parfum or EDC. The PDT from the 70s is widely available on eBay at reasonable prices, but is not as good as vintage EDC. Don't bother with the current EDT.

Je Reviens wears close to the skin; it whispers. Longevity is fleeting in all versions except Couture. Sillage and projection are minimal.
Sep 28, 2018

This was my absolute favourite as a child in the '70s - I think the blue colour got me - the perfume came in a disk shaped bottle and the liquid was a lovely midnight blue. My mother used to let me use it, and one fine early '80s day, I took the bottle with me on a night out, wearing a white jacket. The bottle broke and the blue stain on that jacket smelled divine for years afterwards. Oddly, I can't find any references to blue liquid (as opposed to bottle ) Je Reviens, but my memory is of blue liquid..

I've always loved the overtone of something vaguely chemical in this and was interested to read that this is due to salicylates. It's floral but not sweet, has a spicy woody background, and still smells good (in the 'Couture' version). However it doesn't have the heft and body it had in my memories. If I didn't have the memory of what this was in my impressionable youth, I don't know how I'd feel about it.
Jul 19, 2017

I have two different, modern version bottles of this. One smells better than the other. One is too aldehydic; the other is much more floral. I've been buying Je Reviens since the early 1980's. It has gone downhill somewhat; lost its charm. Still, it is unique compared to other aldehyde-prominent fragrances I own. I keep this around for sentimental reasons. I would not really recommend this one if you want a classic floral. Find vintage, if you can.
Jun 20, 2017

This for vintage parfum:
Now I know what coumarin smells like. Hay, sweet almond, nutty, sharp, green. Layered with clove, it's gorgeous. Top notes have likely gone off a bit due to age - aldehylic white florals was all I got, but I wasn't paying too much attention tbf.
I'll come back to this in time, but I only have 2ml of vintage juice to play with, and some needs saving. I'm surprisingly intrigued by this. If I can find something with the same coumarin and clove accord, I'll be overjoyed.
EDIT - bonkers hairspray and mouthwash qualities. Really odd, but fascinating.
Mar 16, 2017

Show more reviews of Je Reviens...

Add your review of Je Reviens