Incident Diplomatique

Overall

About Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy

Jovoy

Reviews of Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy

There are 8 reviews of Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy.

Now this is very nice and enchanting with it's vetiver and patchouli combo.

It opens up with a citrus vetiver and patchouli which is slightly sweet and spicy. The vetiver is smoky and sits on the patchouli. So when you smell it up close you can detect the earthy patchouli and from a distance the smoky vetiver is more detectable.

There is something compelling about this scent that I find irresistible. The longevity and projection are very good. Thumbs up!
May 5, 2021

Incident Diplomatique is the third offering I've sampled from Jovoy after Psychedelique and Private Label. Usually I like vetiver and patchouli, but the trio from Jovoy just seem a bit rough for my tastes. ID has a very harsh, astringent like opening that was almost too difficult for me to tolerate initially. It's a bitter citrus industrial type smell that I didn't like at all. As the opening fades the heart becomes a very dry vetiver, woody and bitter that I also don't agree with. It goes slightly herbal but still with a strong, dry bitterness that doesn't fade until the patchouli makes a presence. It softens in the later stage and becomes more of a grassy composition but never a pleasing scent to my nose. Lasts forever. Not for me.
Apr 10, 2021

Incident Diplomatique goes on with a very brief, near transparent mandarin orange citrus before quickly transitioning to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart a sharp, near-piercing woody vetiver emerges and takes the fore, combining with a co-starring bitter unripe and slightly rubbery grapefruit-like accord. During the late dry-down the composition stays highly linear as the vetiver remains through the finish with the odd bitter grapefruit gradually receding to reveal supporting earthy patchouli and dry sandalwood as time passes. Projection is average, but longevity outstanding at over 15 hours on skin.

Disappointment is the first thing that comes to mind with Incident Diplomatique. The published key notes list of vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood, orange and nutmeg had "winner" written all over it, and coupled with my prior positive experience with another Jovoy vetiver focused release, Private Label, I confess to almost blind buying a full bottle of this one thinking it couldn't be much lower risk... I am glad I didn't. The mandarin open is almost nonexistent in longevity and so subdued they shouldn't have even bothered. Then there is the "heart from hell," where somehow the perfumer found a way to mess up such great potential by infusing the sharp, woody vetiver with an odd, bitter grapefruit accord that smells absolutely terrible. The late dry-down doesn't really salvage much, as the heart accord remains through most of it, with the supporting earthy patchouli and dry sandalwood just adding another facet late that isn't even close to enough to balance the stench. I never thought I would write such a negative review of a woody vetiver composition because it is really tough to ruin one, but here we are... The bottom line is the $180 per 100ml bottle mega-stinker Incident Diplomatique finds new ways to destroy normally desirable woody vetiver, earning it a "poor" 2 stars out of 5 rating and an avoid recommendation even to hardcore vetiver lovers.
Dec 24, 2020

Don't try it !! this smelles like HENNE (product used in oriental countries to tattou woman). Honnestly i buy it and i am very angry. excuse my english.
Dec 5, 2019

Most excellent!!

Here we have a true masculine powerhouse fragrance. Lasts an age on skin although sillage and projection are round about average.

Lots of patchouli, vetiver, nutmeg and sandalwood. There is something in this juice that reminds me slightly of the Nasomatto range. Especially Duro & Pardon. It's that swamp like DNA. Anyway....Great for formal occasions when you really want to make a statement. Top quality ingredients with a sophisticated and almost artistic feel.

Sep 19, 2019

I received a sample of this from a generous BNer last year and loved it from the first spray so after using every drop of my sample I had to buy a bottle and did so from the wonderful Jovoy in Mayfair.

I could imagine this fragrance is hard to appreciate for the uninitiated especially if normally used to fragrances with some sweetness. There is hardly any here...but be patient. It opens dry and you will quickly reach for a glass of water to rehydrate. The quality is not in question at any point of the development and this is actually the best combination of vetiver and patchouli I have come across to date. It has plenty of depth and breadth. The blend creates a wonderfully dusty ghost note and texture of cacao and there is a hint of orange citrus but blended in as part of the whole with no separation. This fragrance is really all about the Javanese and Haitian vetivers, all spicy and dark with a smidge of earthiness and the patchouli in a supporting but essential role. Very masculine although sold as unisex.

The fragrance feels serious and probably why the name Incident Diplomatique was chosen. Could imagine most wearers would use this in a formal or business setting but I happily wear this any which way I can and all year round.
Once into the drydown there is more of a woodsy amber quality with the sandalwood joining the party and bringing in some welcomed sweetness to lighten the mood. It also brings out more of the rich and opulent facets of this beautifully composed Eau de Parfum.

To subdue some of the initial dryness I usually spray under clothing to allow the oils to heat quicker and blend with my skin oils. 3 to 5 sprays is plenty for any situation with the oily consistency helping.

Having tried the entirety of Jovoy’s current lineup this is my unrivalled favourite easily edging out Private Label and Psychedelique.

Longevity is ample at over 12 hours on my skin with projection falling into that perfect aura goldilocks zone. I highly recommend this especially to lovers of all things vetiver.

A solid 10/10.

Sep 10, 2019

Show more reviews of Incident Diplomatique...

Add your review of Incident Diplomatique