Herod

About Herod by Parfums de Marly

Parfums de Marly

Where to buy Herod

Reviews of Herod by Parfums de Marly

There are 43 reviews of Herod by Parfums de Marly.

Bold gourmandish opening. In lines with hanae mori. Gets dollopy sweet towards mid notes. Basenote is, much more tolerable. Nice in fact.

I do not prefer these type of gourmands..however I can imagine how this is more of personality based choice than anything else. Would smell great in parties and on females
Nov 17, 2021

A very generic vanilla tobacco gourmand scent, not much different than other vanillas scents but for the price. The tobacco pipe is sweet and aromatic and blends perfectly well with the vanilla and the spices. There is a warm filling around which makes it very cozy as if you were sitting in your armchair in front of a fireplace reading a book with a glass of cognac. The scent warms up after a while and projects a nice pipe vanilla scent. Not a groundbreaking scent but a very nice scent to wear.
Nov 11, 2021

Sweet cinnamon, vanilla, tobacco scent that fits into the TF Tobacco Vanille genre, but less powerful and easier to wear. This is leaf moist tobacco, leaning gourmand as it opens. It has a earthy, vetiver-patchouli base which comes forward late in the dry down. Very pleasant, crowd pleaser, niche quality tobacco scent. I like it, but prefer a less sweet and more aromatic type tobacco fragrance, such as Creed Tabarome. Still a Thumbs Up and worthy option.
Oct 13, 2021

This scent is another essence of sex fragrance (Boomerang film reference). You have tobacco, vanilla, cinnamon and it just smells so good. It's masculine but also sweet and sexy. It is a bit more subdued in power than Tobacco Vanille. I consider this one more medium powered but my girlfriend loves this one too and says she ranks this one alongside Tobacco Vanille as the sexiest scent I have.
Jun 13, 2021

ordered a bottle of Percival from the same house, and a sample of Herod was included in my package. I was familiar with the scent but had never worn it, and had only been quickly introduced to it. At the time, my first impression was that this was way too sweet/gourmand for my personal taste, with obvious prominent notes of vanilla and tobacco.

Well, when sprayed on my skin, the first minutes took me on an odd world of childhood memories, as this smelled somewhat like vanilla play doh, but in an inexplicably good way. I do get somewhat of a metallic aspect to the scent as well, especially within the first few minutes. When Herod dries down, it however becomes much more interesting: warm spicy accords blend into the mix, and give it some depth, especially through the amber note.

Anyone familiar with the PdM "DNA" will find itself in familiar territory, here, with this strong, well-built, somewhat-sweet-but-not-quite-gourmand creamy vanilla-driven base that bears and effective spicy accords.

I couldn't help but think about Carlisle (from Parfums de Marly as well), which is one of my signature scents (during fall and winter), which also has a strong vanilla note and accords that do bear some similarities with this. They are distinct scents without a doubt, but those who say that Carlisle smells like Herod and Layton's love child are not totally wrong.

To me, Carlisle is such a more complete fragrance, in that it takes you on a journey where notes that would seemingly make it a plain gourmand scent instead blend unexpectedly (green apple and vanilla, nutmeg, rose and tonka bean) and give you this warm feeling that's both mesmerizing and comforting, but that also makes it so much more sophisticated than some super sweet, one-dimensional "apple pie" scent.

Herod is no one-dimensional "apple pie" scent, and in no way smells sweet in a cheap way, but to be honest, everything I like about it, Carlisle does better. Or, at least, Carlisle takes you to a similar place at some point through its dry down, then takes you to even more enchanting places. So, where Herod settles down an unveils its depth, Carlisle is just passing by, and its journey then goes on towards a much nicer destination with much more to see (to smell, actually). Again I need to insist that Herod is not a shadow of Carlisle, but the DNA and fundamentals have indeed a lot in common.

That's just my opinion, and seeing how popular Herod is (moreso than Carlisle, it seems), maybe Herod yet has to grow on me some more. But, again, frags that are mainly of the gourmand type are just not really my cup of tea in general.

Performance is good, although a bit sub-par compared to other outings from this house. Percival and Carlisle both perform tremendously better than this. That's not to say that this is not decent-lasting, or that this does not project satisfyingly. It does.

Overall, I'd say that this is a very good sweet/spicy fragrance that is too gourmand for my personal taste. If that's your thing, tobacco, vanilla and cinnamon blend delightfully, and spicy accords jump into the mix a bit later to make things interesting. However, you should absolutely give Carlisle a try before spending a couple hundred on a bottle of Herod, because I really have a hard time trying to even imagine that anyone who likes this would not absolutely fall in love with Carlisle.
May 11, 2021

It starts with a cinnamon blast combined with a wood note in the background. After a shike the tobacco develops, a tobacco not very strong, a bit sweetnand blending in well. Some incense arises , with labdanum and osmanthus adding more gentle spiciness.

The base adds a vanilla-base sweetness that enhances the caramel, with a woodosness lingering in the background, including a cedar impression. Some nagarmotha adds a more spicy note again, with a soft patchouli-vetiver duo adding a green and slightly fresher and green touch. Some iso e super adds freshness, which is given added depth by lashings of white musks.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection, and an impressive eleven hours of longevity in my skin.

This is a pleasant autumn gourmand, reminding me of similar products other houses. Less intense than Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford, a bit less spicy than L' Occitane's Eau de Beaux, it is more linear and somewhat more generic testimony to such types of gourmand scents. 2.75/5
Dec 24, 2020

Show more reviews of Herod ...

Add your review of Herod