Halston

About Halston by Halston

Halston
Bernard Chant
Elsa Peretti

When the juice was approved and the bottle had been designed, the manufacturers were not able to fill the bottles, as the top of the Peretti bottle is curved at an angle. The manufacturer tried to convince Halston to bottle his fragrance in what the industry calls a "Chanel Flask". The name coming from the square linear bottle Chanel used for Number 5, when a non frilly bottle were considered and oddity. Halston refused to have his bottle change for the sake of the manufacturing problem and in the end invested $50,000 dollars of his own money to create an adapter that met with the angled neck of the bottle. It was a good move, the demand for the fragrance was so strong stores couldn't keep it in stock for almost a year. [Thank you Bryian Davis for this information]

Where to buy Halston

Reviews of Halston by Halston

There are 36 reviews of Halston by Halston.

Halston must have been some dark, rough brew used by medieval witches to bring down kings or where Cleopatra dissolved her pearls invoking one of those ancient goddess-priestesses of the helenic world with the power to rise and stamp out men,turning flasks of honey of every good intention,curdling them with malice and offering it's fermented fruit hexed with some long-lost sorcery to Ulysses and his men.it is how perfume world smelled before girly girls scent. unique and wonderful.it has a charismatic personality,brilliantly layered with rich and deep,seductive power mesmerizing you hour after hour elegantly settling on your skin.there was the alluring seduction of Lou Lou, the enchantment of Halston,the persuasion of Opium and plenty more eccentric and unique significant creations.

To me,it is not the dark scent in the typical meaning of the world.it is bewitching,and in that sense,dark for the enigmatic,the unusual,the beautiful,the distinct.it is so classic and warm.the green start is quickly subsumed by the softer edges of the peach,jasmine,and woods/resins.the balance is wonderful; as this stays nicely soft like the scent of woods after the rain.the dry down is mysterious spicy moosy heaven. the feeling of mystery,suspence.inside are many fabrics and textures.old gossamer. lace and velvet.camisoles of silk.gowns from ancient nights. forgotten memories. Halston is definitely not a "crowd pleaser",but that just adds to it's allure for me,because a lot of times, as we all know,crowd pleasers can often be rather dull.

Easy to see why Halston was a bestseller: a liquid peachy-melon, set to an orris-dry green chypre. It's a warm and sturdy feminine, well suited to its time.
But it has a drawback for the parfumista, originality – or lack of it. Halston feels like a blend of some fine perfumes – Bernard Chant chose his models well – but once you've quoted Mitsouko, Diorella and Miss Dior there's little room for invention.
The other thing is, Halston lacks that certain edge that made those others great, it takes no risk - and feels middle of the road.
It was a good perfume, but slightly disappointing from the author of magisterial works like Aramis, Cabochard and Aromatics.

I was given a miniature of Halston in 1976 by a classmate in high school. I fell in love immediately with the fragrance. It reminded me of a fragrance that Sharon Tate would have worn (she was in the news of consequence that week, thus the correlation). Sharon was beautiful, and this fragrance is beautiful. It reminds me of Bel-Air, Holmby Hills, and Beverly Hills; it just smells that exquisite, unique, and affluent. Over the years, I have noticed slight changes to the formulation. The original was beautiful with a slight musky, cedar-like quality. However, of late, Halston is starting to smell more and more like Bijan for Women. Also, of note, the "Halston" logo has been removed from the front of the bottle itself, and it comes in a box without the "H" Halston design in the lining of the box. Is this being mass produced with corners being cut, and are they screwing around with the formulation at Elizabeth Arden? Why don't they just go ahead and make this in a pure perfume edition for those of us who enjoy our fragrances strong and long-lasting? Can anyone tell me the difference between the two Halston's, the one with the logo and the one without, and the one with the plain white box lining and the one with the "H" Halston logo box liner? Thank you. I did, however, find the 1 oz. EDT spray with the "Halston" logo on the bottle and the "H" design lining the box. I compared the two, and yes, the newer version without the logo on the bottle does, in fact, smell very similar to Bijan for Women. I better purchase more of the "Halston" 1 oz. before they're sold out. I couldn't find any of the 3.4-oz. size with the "Halston" logo on the bottle.

I wore Halston every day of my life from fall 1982 through sometime in 1983, when I turned to antique tuberose scents like Pavlova--mostly because every other girl in my junior high carpool and the rest of the school smelled like Halston (at least until Giorgio came to Dallas . . . .) We must have all nicked it from our moms; I'm sure I did. Wherever we got it, a cloud of it hovered over my early adolescence--so much so that just the sight of the bottle brings back the aroma.

I remember a warm, rich, fruity top that smelled indelibly like fresh bananas to my 12-year-old nose. I don't know how I would pry it apart now, but it was probably peach, lactones, moss and amber. I also remember the hamster-cage smell at the heart--cedar shavings with a little funk. But mostly I remember the projection and the long life. You could smell Halston from at least five lockers over, and one spritz on your coat would last all winter long.

All in all, this was a good fragrance on which to cut one's teeth. Good design, sophisticated juice, and very much of its time.

This green, floral, moss-rich Chypre was hugely influential and popular when it came out. It was the bridge between classic, old school fragrances and the Charlies of the world that were so popular at the time. Halston has all of the hallmarks of a classic fruity Chypre, along the lines of Femme and Mitsouko, but with a brisk, modern green note found in Norell and others. Old meets new, couture meets pret-a-porter, disco meets Billie Holiday, all wrapped up in a 70s sensability. A woman could smell modern and chic, as pared down and classic as a Halston dress worn with Elsa Peretti jewelry. This, along with Z-14 and 1-12, were the perfect embodiment of a designer's brand, in sync with the times. After Halston's death, the brand seemed to drift and then the reformulations began.... I have not smelled it recently, but in its time, this was one of the great designer scents, perhaps the best that America has ever produced.

Obtained what was reported to be manufacturer's sample vials of the original formula of the famous Halston. I remember older girls in school swooning over the spritzes they'd snuck from their mom's bottle - it was seen as the ultimate in adult sophistication, like sneaking a cigarette or keeping a pair of 3-inch heels in your locker that your parents didn't know about. I have no actual memory of sniffing it tho, and picked up these samples with hopes of catching the "real deal".

The first thing to hit me was a powerfully metallic aroma, followed by some medicinal notes, along with a tiny hint of that 'stale old bottle of perfume at the thrift store' unhappiness, but thankfully, not a lot of that. It's a loud number, tho - almost big 80's.

About an hour in, things have settled just a bit, and a soapy, herbaceous complexity comes through, riding on a wafer of fresh hewn cedar. To me this seems quite masculine, enough to make me wonder if I wasn't sold the men's version. Will have to investigate, as the vial is printed "Halston Cologne," with no gender mentioned. It doesn't take much imagination to picture this as the seed for later, more audacious unisex herbal frags, like L'artisans Timbuktu.

Five hours in, the base has worn down to that same initial sharp metallic note, now only much fainter, and that complicated herbaceous matrix continues to convey a certain type of affluence; Spearmint, vetiver and patchouli, definitely, perhaps a hint of musk under it all. Not one for my permanent collection, not really melding well with my own chemistry, but glad I gave it a whirl. It does make it's unique statement, even now.

Show more reviews of Halston...

Add your review of Halston