Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne
Guerlain (1965)

Overall

About Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne by Guerlain

Reviews of Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne by Guerlain

There are 4 reviews of Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne by Guerlain.

A soft and blurry version of Habit Rouge. The vintage Eau de Toilette is more dynamic than this, sweeter and sharper. It’s also louder - as you would expect.
But on the other hand, the Cologne sample is a plain script bottle, clearly older, and it could have faded with time.
Aug 11, 2021

Well-blended top notes; not too bitter, even-keeled citrus, very masculine... The heart is a beautiful mix of lavender, of course, with gentle spice and it is aromatic with the other florals and woods. Hard to pinpoint individual notes, which is what I prefer in a fragrance.

Becomes powdery, leans towards the feminine now. Tender rose.

Base is lightly amber-ish, with a mossy note. Base is well-mixed as well. Good scent overall. It seems as if from another time...
Jun 16, 2020

As luck would have it, my samples of the vintage EDC and the current EDP arrived almost simultaneously, so I have a modern version to compare with this 1987 cologne edition.

The first word that leapt to mind smelling the vintage was "suave". That lightly sweetened citrus and powder: Mmm, a Fred Astaire of a scent. In a tuxedo. But my favorite part might be the moss, which to me is a clear green, without the mustiness that often comes with moss. I didn't pick up much floralcy in it (fine with me!), but the light spice (nutmeg? clove?) and vanilla in the base, along with the woods, carried that suave feeling right through to the end.

By comparison, the modern EDP is denser in every department, as if the whole scent had gone from a tenor to a baritone. Everything's darker, especially the moss and spice. It's not bad, but if the EDC was tapdancing on my skin, the EDP is clogging in wooden shoes. (I'm mixing my singer and dancer metaphors, but hopefully you get my drift.)

Now the sad part: as admirable and pretty as the vintage EDC is, it isn't really something I would want to smell on a man. Unless, possibly, that man was Fred Astaire. It's almost too lovely; I think I prefer my masculine scents to be a little more.... spiky?

May 18, 2019

it's like the current EDT , but with lots of added little bells and whistles...a little more bittery than the EDT with some bitter/sour citrus...i get mostly orange supported very nicely by some lime...a little more bittery roughness added by carnation/herbs...smells more rugged than the EDT...more formal and business like...a little dusty/powdery...some nice woodiness that strikes me as the sawdust or shavings of the woods...sweetens up with some vanilla , but doesn't give me the dreamsickle effect I get from the EDT...this retains its seriousness...the vanilla is more ambery than super-sweet...like this one a lot...something I would really enjoy wearing...
Aug 13, 2018