Positive Reviews of Habit Rouge

Overall

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Add your review of Habit Rouge

Reviews of Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Vintage - At the risk of repeating what many other esteemed reviewers have noted on BN and elsewhere, this is one of the very best.

Essentially it's a powdery amber - dry vanilla, with hints of resins. There's a noticeable citrus / bergamot note in the beginning, hints of orange, and touches of rose and carnation in the mid phases. There's a slight leathery element, but very much in the background for me. I don't think of it as a leather perfume.

What I love most here is how it wears - rich without being heavy, and a very restrained sweetness. It is distinctly dressy, but would pair equally well with smart casual outfit or even something bohemian but well put together. For what it's worth, I find it more versatile than Heritage.

Over the years I've come to appreciate Habit Rouge even more, because of its airiness, and the fantastic blending. One of my bottles leaked a bit during transit, and the residual scent in the package is one of the best things I've ever smelled.

Current (circa mid 2010s) - The mid and the base seem to lack a bit of depth as compared to vintage, and there's a pronounced musky element not there in the vintage version. A fine scent on its own if one has never tried the vintage. Also, a bit weaker.

3.5/5

Habit Rouge(1965)
How classy is this rosy glow? This rose is a perfectly tailored black suit coat, white shirt, proper trousers with fine leather shoes driving a loaded black/deep burgundy 1965 Buick V-8 Riviera that has been waxed and detailed to perfection. That is how classy this rose is.

Out of all my fragrances Habit Rouge made the best first impression of them all.
The first time I sprayed this I was enveloped in this amazing scent orb that was mesmerizing. It was like I was floating in this glowing burgundy bubble of bliss.
That original decant still has some left, but the bottle I have while still fantastic doesn't measure up as the woodiness is way more pronounced and their isn't a magic bubble of rouge-y glow quite like I experience with the decant. I wasn't expecting Habit Rouge to be one of my most worn scents but it is #4 currently.
Thumbs up for the greatness that is Habit Rouge.

This most certainly is not a "modern" fragrance nor did it smell dated. It simply smells different. It's a fairly sweet floral scent that I find unusual against most of today's Fragrances - I would definitely consider it unisex.

I find the rose very light and clean and not chemical as others have said. The balance of citrus zest freshen the composition wonderfully and carnation adds that slight spice tone to it. The benzoin-vanilla powdery dry down starts to grow within 15 minutes of application.

If you would like a male rose scent then try it. If you don't like powdery scents then don't try it.

EDT - tried one from 2011 that was heavier on the citrus, was much fresher and more modern.
Found another EDT bottle from mid 2017 that was much more powdery, had a soapier quality ..
The drydown has a classic musky vibe, like a more floral stetson. Unfortunately the almost ten year old bottle was much better in my opinion and more of a fresh EDT performance

This, is for a vintage, EDC version...

There is still some good citrus on top. Lots of lovely lemon. Basil and pimento are vibrant as well. Funny - if I'd blind-tested this, I'd recognize this as a Guerlain - it has that profile / signature.

The heart is a treat of evenly balanced flowers and woody-green things. Just enough cinnamon to give some heat. Carnation is well-behaved (for my nose). HR could easily be androgynous.

The base is a fine, mellow mix. Some green, old leather, a slight fizzy resinous feel. Overall, a sturdy great offering.

Habit Rouge is classic in every sense of the word. A refined Gentleman's fragrance for all occasions. Probably not quite in the league of something like Heritage but still very nice. Wears light on my skin.

7.5/10

Initial blast smells like lemonade. But not sour. It is like smelling lemon juice, is it was made to be not sour somehow. Very pleasant. Once this fades a bit the more subtle rose is allowed to shine through. It is not a sweet jammy rose, but a more photo realistic rose, that does not take it to a feminine space. Fragrantica has 33 mentions of incense for this, but I get none. Cinnamon and sandalwood floating around in the blend, more apparent the later you go. Performance is fine, not stellar, not weak. Standard EDT format. Projection middling. I would put this projection right in the sweet spot, and longevity in the slightly underwhelming for my tastes.

Smells really good. Not dated. Masculine. Rose flavored lemonade.

I can definitely appreciate this one and its particular beauties without actually wanting to wear it, right? I definitely like it more than Shalimar (stone me now), simply because it isn't as overwhelming and claustrophobia-inducing, but it still contains way too much sweetness and powder for me. I am simply not into orientals, but if I were, Habit Rouge would be one I would definitely consider. I like how aromatic it is and the way it allows some space and light to permeate its rose-carnation-patchouli combo. There is also a beautiful hint of leather in the dry down that I admire.

I never tried it because it's branded for men, but I saw it among boring stuff at a duty free shop and gave it a try on my wrist. It made me think of Shalimar, only softer, less agressive. I was so happy to have it embracing me during my flight... its powdery bergamot. I also wish I met someone who's wearing it. I'm not sure why. So good.

Habit Rouge is one of two 60's siblings that Guerlain unleashed to make it's stake in the then-burgeoning world of men's fragrance. It succeeded Guerlain Vetiver (1961) by about 4 years, and arrived just in time to compete with the other French chypres that had been making the rounds. This was a time when male fougères were being seen as pedestrian thanks to drugstore companies getting into them (with the exception of maybe 1936's Canoe), and the finer French houses serving the uppity clientele still focused on mostly traditional affairs, which explains much of what Rochas, Givenchy, and Chanel had been doing with their debut male scents. Guerlain had gotten the jump on all of them years ago when they released Mouchoir de Monsieur (1904), which was for all intents and purposes a male Jicky (1887) made for the man's handkerchief. Habit Rouge (1965) then wasn't the first or even the second masculine EDT the house had made, but realistically the third. They kinda didn't need to do another chypre like this but I guess they had to get the point across that they could since Mouchoir de Monsieur was becoming dated after 60+ years. It's hard to say exactly where this falls in line with the other aforementioned mid-century French masculines, since it smells like a time apart despite being what was then a more modern approach, but maybe that's it's purpose since Guerlain doesn't like to perceive the passage of time the way the rest of the perfume world does, at least not until LVMH bought the house and took creative control from Jean-Paul Guerlain.

For starters, Habit Rouge has that same waxy and oily ambiance that a lot of it's antique forerunners possess, and this gives it a strange quality akin to the smell of citrus and herb essential oils used for baking. Maybe the rumored "guerlinade" note cocktail that supposedly exists in all Guerlain creations is to blame for this vintage feel, because it does share that commonality with Guerlain Vetiver. I liken the drydown of this to the smell of a specific kind of citrus and bergamot-infused fruit and cheese pie an Italian friend of mine bakes and mails me from across an ocean; it's an interesting association I know, but for those who know what kind of European pastry I'm on about, you won't be able to "unsmell" it once you whiff Habit Rouge. Outside of this accord, it is a typical citrus and animalic chypre from this period: very light and fresh opening with some indiscernible skank undertow that fades on skin, and a warm herbal and amber base. What separates Habit Rouge from other mid-century chypre efforts is it's "kitchen sink" construction: it has everything from vanilla, moss, leather and benzoin to patchouli, rose, sandal, basil, and even oddities like rosewood or pimento. Leave it to such an old-school French house to make a huge melange of notes that must be blended in impossibly specific ratios to conjure this scent (their "Guerlinade"), but it results in a light and sweet de-fanged chypre that could only do harm by being too easy-going, which is why a lot of folks leave this to older gentlemen. Habit Rouge, despite it's best advertising efforts to the contrary (still going right up until 2014), is anything but aggressive. Folks in my experience who find stuff like this loud or up-front have usually just never experienced chypres and are used to the synthesized placidity of modern aquatics, because this is softness in a bottle.

Is this classic? Absolutely. Is it essential? Well if you love traditional French perfumery I'd say yes, as most of them even in the 60's had already started becoming more experimental and this was sort of the last of the old guard to hit the street, with Dior's decidedly more timeless Eau Sauvage being the final exclamation point on the whole genre. Otherwise, I'd say no. You can pick any citrus chypre, even the three-note-wonder of YSL's late-coming Pour Homme (1971) and get the same point across without the bourgeois aesthetic, it's just all in the angle of attack with these. Habit Rouge comes across as the most mystifying and complex of the lot for sure, and the least potentially offensive one still containing an animal note, but ultimately becomes a slave to it's design; it's so florid in composure that it's only appropriate for holiday dinners, formal occasions, or for that guy that just loves the old "dandy" style masculines that died when chest hair became in vogue. It's oddly more at home in the time period of the aforementioned Mouchoir de Monsieur than the swinging 60's, but if you were gonna have just one classic Guerlain masculine and it -could not be- Vetiver, this stuff is a good choice. One thing that bears mentioning is there happens to exist a wild variance between vintages of this, since original Eau de Cologne versions were a tad darker, later Eau de Toilette versions brighter and more projecting, while recent optional parfum concentrations more pillowy, so owning all variants could really be like having three different scents. My review is based off of the Eau de Toilette version, which is likely the most common by now. Cheers!

There is something about this fragrance that separate's it from everything I've ever smelt, it's as if all I knew about fragrance doesn't mean sxxt. For a while I used to think the London shaving shops did things fairly classy (and they do), us English know how to do a good fragrance (think sartorial and many others) bla bla ..habit rouge is another world and to be honest I feel very humbled by this ..this is probably as good as it gets. I must of used 50ml in enlightenment.

My review is of the EDT vintage fragrance. Apparently there is much difference between EDP, EDT, Vintage, Reformulation, etc. This opens with a sharp green fougere top, mixed with lipstick and an animalic. There is a subtle old urine smell underneath. Not fresh urine, but the dried urine found in cracks underneath a toilet. This sounds horrible, but in a very small dose, it is not quite off-putting, although once smelled, can't be un-smelled. I couldn't wear this b/c it dries down to a powder fragrance, and I detest powder. Man's fragrance? Perhaps for a 'dandy' or one comfortable with his masculinity. Reserved for formal affairs, I could see Hercule Poirot wearing this while solving a case for Agatha Christie. Spats, leather gloves, a waxed mustache twisted upwards.

My husband fits into the Basenotes mould, liking the top ten, and I say that with a note of apology as I fear being a little cliched, but we have both, over time, been captured by Guerlain. At one time I thought we would each find an obscure fragrance that would be our secrets. He came close with Azzaro Acteur, absolutely wonderful on him and complimented wherever he went but it was discontinued.

With Habit Rouge I bought the EDP for him some years ago assuming that the rounded out fragrance with Oud would be more to his taste, but I was wrong. He discovered the EDT at an airport counter and is converted. Habit Rouge has a little Nahema in it, is the male Shalimar and has the sparkle of Thierry Wasser's reinvented Mitsouko EDT. I find myself in Shalimar Cologne 2015 a good deal lately and we must make a Dynamic Duo in the Supermarket. Easily unisex.

I just tried the EDT sample of this and it was so much better than I could have expected.

On my skin it is very fresh and green with florals that are present but never in the forefront of the scent. What is in the forefront is the very waxy vanilla. I actually thought I was smelling my cosmetics, but somehow I enjoyed smelling like a candle. I am eager to try the EDP version and see what happens.

The longevity was impressive for a green scent, but only about 6 hours.

Hated it at first, then gave it a fair shake and it grew on me.

Not for the faint of heart. A classic, old school man's cologne that's definitely a love/hate thing.

Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) is a fiery mix that is loud and unashamed. It has a strong rosy quality(though not in a feminine manner)that I've come to appreciate. Complex, shimmering with several notes over time, and powdery (not like its cousin, Heritage).

Suited for: older wearers, formal occasions

Fragrance family: Aromatic Fougere, with an emphasis on the Floral Oriental and Dry / Oriental Woods subgroups

Starts out: Fierce onslaught of spicy and floral notes (most notably the rose); tangy notes (lemon, bergamot) settle down, and cedarwood becomes the foundation for the other woody elements (rosewood and sandalwood) and all morph into an aromatic, bold cloud filled with notes of floral (patchouli) sprinkled with a tasteful dose of spices (basil and cinnamon, which aren't dominating) touched subtly with the leather and sweet, oriental elements (vanilla, amber, benzoin).

Unrelenting and unashamed, commanding attention and making a statement to the world of “Here I am, and I mean it!”

Similar to: Burberry Brit

GREAT idea to test Habit Rouge EdT first before plunking down the money for it, but for the adventurous and extroverted types, a good match.

EDT
Well, maybe I'm too hasty in recommending this in a very high percentage, yes, I know, the senses, we have them developed in so many different ways, so I apologise, which is not to say I don't like it anymore, on the contrary, I love it, those fresh limes like rain in a meadow of roses, still my favourite!

Habit Rouge (EdT)
This is an unmitigated disaster. The mix is all wrong. Pungent & rotten citrus gives way to animalic vanilla. Ugly, overbearing and downright awful – Donald Trump in a nutshell. Gave me a headache within the hour. Hard to believe anybody wears this. Fortunately, the EdC & EdP get the balance right.

Habit Rouge (EdC)
I have the vintage juice. Don't think Guerlain still make this but it's extraordinary. Complex, light and slightly weird citrus open the affair. Slowly the animalic leather/vanilla emerge but the tiger is tame and never gets out his cage. Every accord and note falls perfectly into place. Wear it on a sunny day and feel its golden aura.

Habit Rouge (EdP)
I have the vintage leather-bound juice. HR EdP is all about the Oud which for me is the perfect progression into modern perfumery. I give Guerlain a lot of credit for putting out an Oud-based fragrance before the Oud bandwagon started moving. The opening is very similar to the EdC – complex and slightly weird citrus. In the drydown, the Oud joins the leather and vanilla to strike one mighty accord that lasts for days. Would give Montales' juices a run for their longevity. In some ways, it does resemble something from Montale and turns the “Guerlainade” on its side. Adding Oud to the HR formula was a genius move and years ahead of its time.
8.5/10

Big Bitter Bergamot, Lemon blast. Burns off quick. Beautiful blend of Floral with a centre of rose and Cinnamon, light touch of Patch. Mossy canvas with a lovely powdery, vanilla, incense cloud.

Was walking through Macy's and thought, boy there is a
really nice incense burning in here.
I suddenly realized it was me!
Thumbs up for us Dusty,Powder, Incense lovers!

1990 Vintage EDT

Vintage EDC

Quieted down EDT. Incense negligible so the moss is more prominent. It is long-lasting on my skin and provides for a gentleman's drawl to a young man's
chatter.

Version of Habit Rouge: Eau de Cologne, from 1988 according to one batch code checker.

There is a note in the early citrus-herbal blast that is a stretch for me, and even that is gone within five minutes, and then it has nice ongoing development as the scent slowly fades.

The top is a mossy citrus with that curious herb-like note, and as it develops, it's more of a vanilla fragrance, and a mix of other sweet, warm notes that I guess is sort of like leather, although it's quite a mossy leather.

Version of Habit Rouge: Eau de Toilet, from 1992 according to one batch code checker. This is similar to the edc, and I like it equally well, or nearly so, possibly even more. It has less of the herbal note from the opening of the edc, and it has a nag champa incense/sandalwood similar to Guerlain L'Heure Bleue. It's another great way to experience Habit Rouge, and classic-smelling Guerlain for men. The edt might be more powdery, but the main difference is the classically Guerlain-smelling incense/sandalwood.

Both versions have similarities to Shalimar.

to me, the EDP is Boucheron Jaipur Homme, in reverse...which is to say, Habit Rouge features less cinnamon, than Jaipur Homme, and more citrus than Jaipur Homme. And just as much powder, and maybe more than Jaipur Homme..

this is a drop dead gorgeous 'classic'. I can remember when the EDP wasnt extremely easy to get. A few weeks ago, I got it for a song. And it goes on very dense and powdery, with the citrus and leather, featured right up front.

this is a favorite and has been a mainstay for me, for I dont know how many yrs. VERY heavy, but not messy...the EDP takes a longer trip, from one phase to the next...and it changes like a chameleon.

Chatting with a fellow fragrance fan the other day, we were discussing the, "stages of fragrance appreciation" inspired by an essay by Tania Sanchez. While I don't think I've quite achieved the final stage of "enlightenment" she describes in her trajectory, we agreed on at least three stages we've experienced in our variation as men (there are certainly more beyond this):

1). Paternal fougeres and aftershaves

2). The appreciation of composition and identification of notes

3). Transcendence from genre, gender & trends of imitation

My big breakthrough to #3 happened with Habit Rouge. Like many here, my first reaction to the sample I acquired in a "basenotes sampler" was, "this smells too much like my Grandmother's perfume." But as I compared it against the greatest hits of male fragrance in the sampler, the Creeds, the Diors etc, I kept coming back to it.

The depth and complexity is just stunning. Nothing smells quite like it.

Not only is the dandy orange & opopanax accord strikingly unique and far removed from the typical male fragrance of today, when it blends with the right natural phermones, I've noticed that my female friends react to it very positively. It's friendly, warm and inviting. A fragrance perfect for both personal enjoyment and socializing.

I did notice, however, that after a fresh spritz on a hot summer day, I walked into our local pub and the AC was out of order. Two young ungroomed (and unwashed) rocker/hipsters didn't know what to make of the silage! They made small talk for a moment and then went outside on the port to drink their IPA, air out their footwear and smoke a cigarette.

Not your average men's fragrance indeed.

Habit Rouge opened the door to my continuing journey through the genius of House Guerlain.

Imagine Guerlain's Vetiver with added basil, vanilla, cinnamon, leather and amber and you have Habit Rouge.

It's a complex and interesting blend of aromas to be sure. It's worth waiting after application because although it starts out very gourmand (going through phases of smelling like a communal dining hall and a Chinese take-away), it broadens out to fragrant, oriental spiced woods atop a deeply earthy base. In that base the vanilla, leather, amber and moss work very well together.

It's a mature scent and would not be chosen by the twenty-something man out on the pull, which is a pity because under the right circumstances it would have an effect beyond the cookie-cutter fragrances of the last 15-20 years. It's darker and more mysterious. Though I prefer cleaner, barbershop-style scents, I rate this over Guerlain's other 'classic' vetiver by a country mile.

Good sillage and decent longevity.

Richly confident.a warm and sensual woody blend that is also fresh and oriental and a truly opulent scent that portrays wealth and class.created for men,but also enjoyed by women,Habit Rouge is a masculine,classic and elegant fragrance defined by an original and distinctive composition. timeless, captivating,distinguishing, sophisticated, classy,sensual, unforgettable and artistic.

The composition is created through four main fragrant lines,a striking citrusy freshness,the warm sharpness of cinnamon,the strength and elegance of wood and the warm sensuality of vanilla, leather and labdanum.these notes together create a harmonious whole that is a truly memorable and a wonderful signature fragrance for a rich tycoon as it has special scent that people remember and appreciate it.

This EDT is not for the young guy that is out on the prowl but a mature gentleman that is out for a nice stretch of the unregular.Habit Rouge is not also for a unprofessional or a simulator person about fragrance,a real man wearing the fragrance shows that he knows what he wants in life,and knows exactly how to get it.do not wear if you don't want female attention.this is definitely a fragrance that can worn to formal parties and all formal occasions in the autumn/ winter.class in a glass!

EDP Version: Well, I finally got around to reviewing this one. This one has a close eye on the past--in true Guerlain style it's a respectful blend of past fragrances with a few changes here and there to make something new.

It starts off with pretty much the Shalimar opening. Bergamot and vanilla are the most prominent notes but it is slightly more masculine with a hint of spices. Sometimes the opening seems to fade before the middle kicks in on me which makes for a very interesting quiet phase, but once the middle kicks in strongly echoes the Mitsouko middle. Rose and moss are the main notes there.

The base gets powdery and a bit heavier on the vanilla but it retains the majority of the middle. The wood in the base adds an interesting peppery quality.

This does lean slightly feminine, but that shouldn't really mean much anyway. In my world, the fragrance you wear defines how you feel, not who you are.

People who try to corner fragrances into a particular age group, etc, are really doing them a disservice. The point is, do I want to smell this all day? Yes. Do I want to be in the mood in which this fragrance puts me? Yes. Am I wearing a fragrance that's twice as old as I am? Maybe, so what? It smells good to me! This is a great, well-blended fragrance that gives men the pleasure that comes with the classic Guerlains for women. Relax and enjoy it!

I do have to say though I like the EDP much more than the original. I never realized how big a difference there would be between the two.

One more note about the EDP: in cold weather the progression of notes is beautiful, in warm weather it turns into cherry Doctor Pepper. Definitely a cold weather fragrance!

EDT: This is the classic from the 60s. There should really be a separate entry for the EDT vs EDP as they're very different. The EDT was a scrubber the first time I tried it and I would still never wear it in public. The opening is a beautiful slightly creamy bright lemon but it quickly turns dusty, in a bad way. The best way I can describe it is like this...everyone knows the type of guy who likes to buy things he doesn't actually use. He has a boat that hasn't been on the water in a decade and he bought an RV in the 80s but hasn't really gone anywhere in it. Nobody's even been inside in at least fifteen years. For some reason you're spending the night in it. The sheets were washed a couple of decades ago with a strongly scented detergent but not since then. The sheets now smell like Habit Rouge.