Habit Rouge

Overall

About Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Guerlain
Robert Granai

Another Guerlain classic: Habit Rouge (meaning red jacket) combines notes of bergamot, patchouli, vanilla and leather.

Where to buy Habit Rouge

Reviews of Habit Rouge by Guerlain

There are 247 reviews of Habit Rouge by Guerlain.

If a perfume is great, and you want to write about it, there should be no problem finding something to say. If it’s awful, and you can’t stand it, you will probably have a few epithets to give vent to your feelings.
But what if a perfume does nothing for you: you don’t love it, you don’t hate it, it’s just meh.
What do you do then? What do you say?
It’s hard to get worked up about something that doesn’t move you:
Nobody writes hymns of praise to plain vanilla.

And that’s what this is to me, plain vanilla; sweet with orange and rose (and a whole lot of other stuff – spices, balsam, blah blah blah)...
It isn't bad, or cheap, or clunky, it just doesn’t say what I want to hear.
I’ve tried to like it, I‘ve had it for years and it’s sat at the back of the shelf. Even the vintage doesn’t float my boat.
It’s polite and affable, but complacent; a crashing bore.
There, now I’ve found something to say about this perfume that doesn’t move me...
Sep 8, 2021

Lovely scent, for about 15 minutes. I get lots of citrus and carnation and the sillage is quite good. Then, everything pretty much disappears, and I'm left with a powdery skin scent reminiscent of my grandmother. If the opening wasn't so nice, this would be a hard "no" for me.
Aug 3, 2021

As my collection rounds out I find I get more joy out of finally discovering vintage classics as much as designer/niche frags. Finding a classic fragrance that immediately uplifts ones scent experience to a new level with the exhileration of knowing you've gained a new 'scent pillar' along with a deeper knowledge of the history of fragrances makes for a deeply gratifying hobby.

Habit Rouge(1965)
How classy is this rose? This rose is a perfectly tailored black sport coat, white shirt, proper trousers with fine leather shoes driving a loaded black/deep burgundy 1965 Buick V-8 Skylark or Riviera that has been waxed and detailed to perfection. That is how classy this rose is.

Side note: Discovering Habit Rouge led me to retroactively finally 'get' and enjoy 'Zino' by Davidoff. If I review Zino I will elaborate there.

Habit Rouge was a great discovery and is in my top three. For me I find it's elegance to be addictive and craveable. Thumbs up.
Sep 29, 2020

This most certainly is not a "modern" fragrance nor did it smell dated. It simply smells different. It's a fairly sweet floral scent that I find unusual against most of today's Fragrances - I would definitely consider it unisex.

I find the rose very light and clean and not chemical as others have said. The balance of citrus zest freshen the composition wonderfully and carnation adds that slight spice tone to it. The benzoin-vanilla powdery dry down starts to grow within 15 minutes of application.

If you would like a male rose scent then try it. If you don't like powdery scents then don't try it.
Aug 6, 2019

EDT - tried one from 2011 that was heavier on the citrus, was much fresher and more modern.
Found another EDT bottle from mid 2017 that was much more powdery, had a soapier quality ..
The drydown has a classic musky vibe, like a more floral stetson. Unfortunately the almost ten year old bottle was much better in my opinion and more of a fresh EDT performance
Jul 24, 2019

EDP formulation:

Somehow, I just entered the biggest powder party in the world. Oof. I guess I might be a product of modernity, but these heavily powdered scents smell very dated to me: the smell of a dandy, a man about town. This, to me, is hardly timeless.

After temporarily feeling like I might be my grandfather, 10 minutes in you get a good citrus-cedar opening combination with florals (rose and sage?) for a light, semi-sweet scent. It's not natural, this is very artificial smelling and not in a pleasant way: I'm not sure if it's because this is a newer bottle or not...citrus scents that have elements of artificiality is a particularly dangerous game, and here Habit Rouge is on the losing end. As it further dries down, the patchouli and vanilla combine to make a dark sweetness on the very base that is probably (definitely) the best feature of this for me.

I don't care for this, and likely won't wear it again. There are a lot of ingredients in here, but they smell rather cheap. Some of the elements work well and some don't, but for me ultimately, and at least with the new formulation, time has passed this by.

5-5.5/10
Apr 4, 2019

Show more reviews of Habit Rouge...

Add your review of Habit Rouge