Gris Clair

Creative Director

Gris Clair is a shared scent launched in 2006 by Serge Lutens

Where to buy Gris Clair

Reviews of Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

There are 79 reviews of Gris Clair by Serge Lutens.

A cool, dry, melancholy lavender, Gris Clair showcases its herbal, astringent qualities, especially in its opening. I chose to listen to Magnetic Fields' album "Charm of the Highway Strip" before I adorned myself with Gris Clair, and it makes for a complementary soundtrack. "Your eyes are the Mesa Verde: big and brown and far away..."

Dusty wafts from the incense note undulate hauntingly as Gris Clair dries on my skin. I do agree with others that there is also this distinct hot iron element as well, which brings me nostalgia for a time where I did need to press shirts for work, now a distant memory as I permanently work from home. I recall when I was young and felt like I was well on my way to being 'upwardly mobile,' not yet 30, wearing a crisp shirt, walking from the train through Boston's Chinatown to my office, listening to Wim Wertens "Struggle for Pleasure" in my earbuds. Gris Clair is bringing forth memories such of this. It reminds me that I was younger, more naive then. Crisp shirts, crisp outlook.

Here I am today, 43, no where near upwardly mobile, but more content, contemplating the view through a lavender-tinted rear view mirror, with clouds of dust and smoke and Gris Clair slowly warms, with its resinous base embracing me, as if to say, "you have done wonderfully, so far, my friend. You deserve some comfort." This older bottle will be relished.

Lavender and incense, over a bed of semi-sweetened tonka. Beneath a grey sky in autumn, the leaves crunch beneath my feet, and the whole world is gris clair...

Lavender slaps me in the face momentarily, then a creamy mix of an amber and Tonka accord immediately rise up. Lavender weaves in and out... Ever so slowly iris moves in. It increases. It's dry for the most part. It isn't massive but, it's there.

The base is dry with an incense that seems woody, although I couldn't tell you what kind of wood. Later it reveals a bit more floral aspects, always with the woody-incense thing lingering. Iris rises and falls. Overall, this is lovely. Not a strong, pungent thing.

Gris Clair is a great lavender fragrance with tonka and iris that bring a sweetness to the greenness of the lavender. I like it! It's been a very pleasant day with Gris Clair. If you like lavender fragrances, this is a nice one to have in your wardrobe. It's at least worth a sample in my opinion.

You know that boiled water has a smell?

Put an old rusty cast iron kettle full of water on stove, when the it begins to sizzle, open the lid, that rusty metallic, simultaneously hot and cold smell of boiled steam will hit you like a punch in your face.

This is what the opening of this perfume feel like.

Gris Clair has an interesting opening, and smells a little like the fumes coming off a skillet warming up on the stove, or the smoke from a candle, but it peters out into a grainy, unappealing scent in about an hour. It continues to fall apart and becomes borderline offensive and possibly headache inducing around the two-hour mark.

Show more reviews of Gris Clair...

Add your review of Gris Clair