Reviews of Grapefruit
Jo Malone London (1992)

Overall

Add your review of Grapefruit

Reviews of Grapefruit by Jo Malone London

There are 30 reviews of Grapefruit by Jo Malone London.

I love grapefruit scents and other Jo Malone perfumes, but I was worried I wouldn't like this one because of the patchouli note. But it's a well-balanced scent and quite lovely, and the patchouli is not strong. Fresh and tart, not sweet. More unisex than other grapefruit scents I've tried.
Jul 4, 2020

A great rendition of a citrus-herbal scent. Bright. Leans more herbal and green, after a few minutes of application... I get a good amount of a paprika and patchouli mix, after awhile. Later, a touch of mint.

Stays the course for hours. It's good (if you like this style), mellow. One of the better citrus-herbal things I've tried. Hard to imagine this was released in the 90s - it smells modern.

Grapefruit and tangerine come "to the surface" again much later, rising, like low clouds in the morning.
May 24, 2020

Straight-up grapefruit scented fragrance that really seems to work better mixed with other Jo Malone scents...but is okay on its own.

Here is the fragrant triangle for this fragrance:
Top notes = grapefruit, tangerine
Heart notes = rosemary, mint, paprika, jasmine
Base notes = vetiver, patchouli, oakmoss

Grapefruit is helped along moderately by the tangerine, which are colored subtly with rosemary spice and mint, as well as jasmine flower. (Can't make out the paprika.) Base caps this straightforward scent with a decent dose of dry sweet vetiver and earthy oakmoss, along with similarly sweet and dark patchouli bush.

Longevity isn't great (an hour or two). Sillage is not bad, and overall this is a no-frills citrus and spice concoction that can really jazz things up in combination with other of JM's fragrances.
Oct 5, 2018

You wouldn't normally think of 'rounded' as an adjective to use about grapefruit but that's what Jo Malone has done here. She brought out the fruity aspect of the citrus, bolstered it with rosemary and then sweetened it with a jasminesque floral. This is all set on a fairly standard vetiver-chypre. The result is the puckering acidity of the grapefruit has been modulated into just a pleasing tartness, which when combined with the brown woody base makes for a nicely piquant A# variation on the usual lemon-vetiver chord. Good stuff, much better than the rather forbidding name would suggest.

****
Jul 26, 2018

I did one of those fun "what should your signature scent be?" quizzes online, and the result I got was actually "Grapefruit" cologne by Jo Malone! :D So, just for laughs, I got a sample of it to try!
Yesterday I tried my sample of "Mure et Musc" by L'Artisan Parfumeur, and I have to say that wearing "Grapefruit" by Jo Malone is a huge relief by direct comparison! To my nose, "Mure et Musc" smells like a hundred strawberry shortcakes were bottled and made into a perfume, and I found that a bit headache inducing! Just wearing "Grapefruit" is actually refreshing by comparison! It's a very light, bright, sparkling, lively and invigorating scent! I actually think it is pretty nice on it's own, although yes, like Mushroom said, this whole fragrance line is made for layering!
That said, although I do enjoy the scent of this cologne, I think I would probably like it on a guy more than on myself. It is actually a more masculine citrus scent. Personally, on myself, I prefer wearing the Pink Grapefruit EDT from The Body Shop. It's a much prettier and more feminine grapefruit scent than Jo Malone's is. This one is mostly a sour and savory herbal scent, whereas "Pink Grapefruit" from The Body Shop has flowery and sweet notes added, making it a prettier scent. However, if what you want is a masculine or more unisex grapefruit, then yes, you probably want to check this one out! (Plus, Jo Malone probably has sweeter scents you could layer this with as well!)
Overall it is a very nice, pleasant smelling fragrance, and I definitely give it a thumbs up! It's worth trying at least once if you're a fan of citrus and sporty scents at all!
Dec 19, 2015

Staright up grapefruitI have only a sample and thank God!!Ok spring scent better suited for females..The scent starts heavy and ends light after about 2 hours..True to it's name to say the least..Pros: tolerableCons: poor longevity"
Oct 28, 2013

Kicks off with a few minutes of artificially sweetened grapefruit before ending up as a mix of citruses - to my nose mostly sweet mandarin and bergamot with lemon verbena for a subtle piquancy. It fades after a couple of hours, leaving a vague smudge of orange blossom, but this is basically all topnotes.

I personally think that the Jo Malone line gets short changed a lot by fragrance aficionados who miss that most of the later works (especially those by Christine Nagel) are fully-realized perfumes with tops, middles, and basenotes. Grapefruit, however, is not. Oh well.
Jan 9, 2013

Grapefruit pretty pure on me, with a bit of wood added in the drydown. A mature grapefruit, with no prominent freshness on me. A straightforward scent, poor silage on me with a longevity of about two hours.
Sep 28, 2012

I think a lot of Jo Malone's scents are misunderstood - they are rarely best worn alone, but layered with another, maybe 2 other of the scents. They are all designed to work together, and believe me, try the Blue Agava & Cacao with the Grapefruit, and you will get a completely different, beautiful fragrance.

Both these scents do not do much alone, but together are fantastic. I get so many compliments when wearing these, even strangers in shops stopping me and asking me what scent I am wearing. The only negative thing I can say about Jo Malone is for an expensive brand, they do not have the same staying power as other perfumes in the same price range.
Jul 20, 2012

The opening to this is very grassy and citric, think of a freshly peeled tangerine. It also may even come off as a spicy lemon but I suppose it's the grapefruit. If I had a way of describing the scent as the heart notes blend with the base, I'd say that this is a mix between D&G Masculine and Aramis Tuscany. Imagine the citrus wood base of D&G Masculine under the spicy, mossy, woodiness in Tuscany. It's clean yet spicy. Projection is moderate and longevity is around 6-8 hours. I wouldn't go as far as dubbing this unisex neither. It's far too spicy and woody for a female, or at least I would say. Although I encourage any age to wear what they'd like, I'd d=say this is ideal for an older gentleman 35+. My final rating B-
May 12, 2011

Not too much to say. Exactly what you were expecting when you read "grapefruit" on the label. A zesty blast...then a generic sort of lemonygrass citrus...then...what? did I fall asleep?
Sep 2, 2010

Bright, refreshing open of light, non-sweet grapefruit... and then it just becomes a clean soap smell. Why bother?
Apr 23, 2010

smells like a fruit and passion store, boring
Apr 13, 2010

Since no one has provided a fragrance pyramid, here are the notes, per the Jo Malone website:Top notes: grapefruit, tangerine (citrus)Heart notes: rosemary, mint, pimento, jasmine (aromatic, spicy, floral)Base notes: vetiver, patchouli, tree moss (woody)I find the grapefruit in the opening to be rather tame. I do get floral overtones right away. Then it becomes soapy. Anyway, I prefer bolder renditions of grapefruit than this offering.
Sep 19, 2009

Harsh opening note. Very disappointed in this purchase. Too masculine for me.
Jul 30, 2009

This is my first Jo Malone fragrance and what a let-down! As some reviews have already noted, the opening grapefruit note is a vibrant one but settles down very quickly and then all you get is mild soapy lemony notes... longevity is terrible... thoroughly disappointed... :o(
Jun 30, 2009

It delivers very good grapefruit, which is why I'm not giving it a thumbs down. It fades down into a soap (Zest comes to mind) and when I tried to mix it with other essences it was almost completely obliterated. That's why I'm not giving it a thumbs up.
Mar 1, 2009

Definitely a summer fragrance for me, and yes, I get the soap too, but love the freshness of this and the way it dries down woody, with no sweetness. Pretty good longevity on me - stays tangy for a couple of hours or so. I admit that after a couple of sniffs I get generic citrus, rather than pure grapefruit, but still find it pleasantly zingy. A great fallback light summer fragrance, for those occasions when you don't necessarily want to make too much effort or impression!
Jan 17, 2009

Jo Malone's Grapefruit perfume starts off sharp-ish but then is toned down with white flowers so that it becomes a very tame, light fragance. The vetiver in the middle and base notes give it some warmth and depth and is probably why some reviewers characterize it as a masculine perfume. Jo Malone's Grapefruit doesn't have the zing that I adore in Aqua Allegoria's Pamplelune or the cheerfully unabashed zestiness of Frederic Malle's Bigarade Concentree, but Jo Malone's Grapefruit is a competent scent that will likely appeal to a man or a woman who doesn't want to smell overly “perfumey” but wants to smell “clean”. Ho hum. Per The Perfumed Court, here are the notes: grapefruit, tangerine, vetiver and rosemary.
Nov 13, 2008

I'm going to have to accept the facts that acceptfacts is right. Grapefruit at first... for like a second but goes right into an overwhelming soapy, clean fragrance like 1881. Up close you can still smell grapefruit but the people around me smell soap. As a fragrance, yuck. As a bath soap, it would be delightful (and it is offered as one).
Nov 10, 2008

Fragrance notes: grapefruit, tangerine, rosemary, vetiverNo surprises – this is very citrusy. It is quite natural smelling, and thus I enjoy it a lot. There are lovely green and light herbal notes, a hint of pine/mint from the rosemary and another grassy hint from vetiver. These give the scent very good longevity, and the citrus finds a way to linger too. I like this very much! JM scents are designed to layer, and I have no doubt this would add sparkle to many scents. I think it stands well on its own, as well.
Oct 23, 2008

initial notes of grapefruit are quickly overwhelmed by synthetic notes of "every 90's cologne" and dries down within minutes to a middle of the road motel soap that destroyes remnants of everything else in between. Have to give it thumbs down.
Sep 8, 2008

A slightly bitter, none too sweet take on the overdone grapefruit. Really a great "layering" frag, but not my favorite when worn alone.
Nov 16, 2007

AYALA said it best ~ a handsomely done citrus. Bravo! Works nicely as a layering product IMO. (I might sneak a spritz onto my husband and see how that goes!)
Oct 12, 2007