Ganymede

Marc-Antoine Barrois
Quentin Bisch
Givaudan

Reviews of Ganymede by Marc-Antoine Barrois

There are 8 reviews of Ganymede by Marc-Antoine Barrois.

Ganymede is a fruity leather. I admire much here: first the abstract fruit notes, the subtle use of spices (saffron, hint of cumin), hazy floral notes, and everything tied together by interesting leather accord based around immortelle. In its essence it's the leather accord of Histoires des Parfums 1740, but the sweetness removed and then everything almost "steam-distilled" so as to make it transparent and diffusive. Then there's a mineral-metallic hint, contrasted by the overall fuzzy texture of the scent.

While there's much to love, Ganymede strangely appears thin-bodied both on card and on my skin, though does possess good persistence. I don't detect anything salty or aquatic here. Ganymede is a complex, abstract and wearable perfume, recommended to anyone interested in a leather scent, though it might be missing a spark somewhere.

Jun 15, 2021

This starts off delightfully fresh and spicy but starts smelling more and more strongly of moth balls. So I can indeed imagine a grey fluffy moth fluttering romantically up silhouetted momentarily against the moon but it becomes increasingly irritating. Almost a scrubber.
Full disclosure: I persisted and this has grown on me. Dry down is exceptional a lovely violet and wood and as long as you don't have your nose pressed against the spray point on your skin the air around you is suffused with a compliment getting spicy freshness which is not citrus or mint based.
This is very versatile and is am excellent catch all except for evenings. I bought a bottle!
May 27, 2021

What notspendingamillion said but with a different outcome – this indeed reminds me of Abercrombie & Fitch stores (and shopping malls in general when they were a thing) a decade ago and I have no desire to smell like one myself. I can see fans of "blue" fragrances jumping all over this, as for myself – no, I prefer natural smelling fragrances and if I'm in a mood for something synthetic, I would take any Comme des Garcons fragrance over this. A big pass.
May 24, 2021

Department Store EDP

This smells exactly like the Gap store, and the upstairs of Younkers at my mall. Its like new clothes, shoes, carpet, cleaners, the whole works. I find it super strong.
If I try to pick out notes I get saffron, violet, musc, and etc. This could be a distinct great signiture. It is ultra versatile. It has an accord feel that is entirely hard to nail down. It smells good. Price is a bit steep. Might buy it eventually. Would work well for times where you are not looking to make a statement, though it is certainly unique. I've gotten quite a few moments while wearing it that I've mentally connected Narciso Rodriguez for Men from the Musk and violet. It is impecably blended, but down feel a bit "6 note composition" at times. Thumbs up. Its one to try. Even if the notes dont speak to you, this may be something that suprises you.
Sep 12, 2020

This fragrance has an air of mystery to it. The opening is deep green and dark floral which I suppose is the violet. The middle of the scent smells like hay (immortelle) which is a logical transition from the dark green violet wood opening and this feels like nature and outdoors. The hay scent turns softer until it has the feel of suede or soft leather. All of these warm hay and leather notes are the result of interplay of immortelle, osmanthus and saffron. The violet opening combined with these soft aspects adds to the mystery and charm of this scent. It seems to change often from green violet to soft leathery woods depending on strength of application and outside temperature. I've only tried this a couple of times but I think it is enchanting, interesting, a naturalistic pastoral statement and is a pretty fantastic finished product.
Aug 16, 2020

Ganymede by Marc Antoine Barrois is a scent full of ozone, salt, herbs and trees. It subtly embraces, envelops, but does not overwhelm.

This scent is inspired by the Ganymede moon. A rocky satellite of Jupiter discovered in 1610 by Galileo.

Ganymede is said to be a windy moon, covered with frozen salt water. But a luminous one, as befits a giant planet's satellite. And that's what this perfume is like. It is a flight into space - the smell takes you on a long space journey to the land of happiness.
Aug 8, 2020

Show more reviews of Ganymede...

Add your review of Ganymede