Furyo

Thierry Wasser
Ron Winnegrad

Where to buy Furyo

Reviews of Furyo by Jacques Bogart

There are 21 reviews of Furyo by Jacques Bogart.

Recently I acquired a bottle of Furyo that's current from it's extensive ingredients list on the box.

This opens up with a punch (I feel) is more hefty on civet than castoreum. The initial piss tone of the civet just sticks out more until dry down. I get a large note of jasmine that's linked to subtle amounts of sweet cinnamon, sandalwood, laurel, nag champa incense, and lavender. It's a dark red/exotically sweet and incense-ish (but not too sweet), and kind of leafy smell with a mildly soapy tone. The lavender note gets bigger and picks up the animalic notes and jasmine. I'll be blunt the whole floral and animalic note fusion shapes out a slight urinal cake smell. I'm usually not fond of the urinal cake association but Furyo is the exception. It's the slightly "new age" blend of notes that surrounds that urinal cake note. It's dirty sex in the bedroom while playing Enigma's "Principles of Lust" on the stereo.

Furyo's design I can detect some character similar to Kouros (1981). But Ron Winnegrad did use jasmine and animalics in an older fragrance of his called Leonard Pour Homme (1980). Furyo was a better fragrance than Kouros in my opinion and definitely was abstract. Furyo goes on heavy yet smoothens out balances out it's animalic/aromatic sides quite well. This was one that liked to stay close to it's wearer though so don't expect Kouros level projection.
May 24, 2021

I was really hoping for loud animalic, musky, rosey, woodsy, high volume goodness, but this was extremely powdery on me.

A very tame, soft, powder, with hints of rose and wood.

Maybe I had a newer bottle, and I need to seek vintage?

A very nice fragrance, but maybe my body chemistry pulls the powder too hard, and pumps the brakes on the notes I'm looking for?

Great blending, but left me wanting.
May 20, 2021

Furyo is a musky, woody fragrance with a slight animalic twist. This is a crowded category (especially among vintages), but Furyo distinguishes itself with some wonderful touches of rose and jasmine, and a faint honeyed sweetness. The other accomplishment is that the emphasis is on the perfume rather than any shock value: it does very well on the Guy Robert test. Moreover, it doesn't emphasize 'masculinity', or being a 'powerhouse': there is definitely a subtlety here, as is a generous dose of romanticism. This possibly comes from the rich floral heart, and the slightly amber-y quality. The civet is there from beginning to end, but only to add a touch of sensuality.

The drawback is that the base appears somewhat thin, at least for my tastes. It's very engaging with a lush accord filled with subdued notes of amber, patchouli, and musk - but one would have preferred more richness. I find Furyo to exhibit moderate sillage, and good duration of six to seven hours on skin based on a conservative application of 4-5 sprays. Furyo is worthy of consideration if one's looking for an alternative to something like Kouros, but more floral, gentle and autumnal.

3.5/5
Jun 8, 2018

Ever have an "Oh my God" moment when spraying on a fragrance and taking it in for the first time? Well, I certainly had one with Bogart Furyo (1988), but more on that later. Bogart brought in some big guns with a young pre-Firmenich/pre-Guerlain Thierry Wasser, fresh off his perfume debut with Salvadore Dali Pour Homme (1987), coupled with Ron Winnegrad, the late-70's wonder perfumer who brought us both the original Lagerfeld/Lagerfeld Classic (1978) cologne and Dunhill Blend 30 (1978) in the same year. The two crafted a masculine floral musk that was part of a brief late-80's resurgence of the old Victorian style, and like several of its contemporaries was augmented with powerful animalics, building up and making more sophisticated takes the basic one-two punches of earlier powerhouses. Furyo was part of short-lived generation of slightly more genderbent powerhouses based on flamboyant fashions that were meant to carry men into the 90's in place of the macho bergamot/oakmoss/woods battle axes they were still wearing, but history would see to it otherwise. Much lighter, simpler, easier-to-understand fragrances rebooted men's perfume aesthetics back to functionality like the smell-alike barbershop fougères of the 60's, but with the added plus of being cheaper to produce and eventually focus-group-tuned for mass appeal. Poor old Furyo and friends would be lumped into the same dinosaur exhibit with the stiff oakmoss powerhouses they sought to replace, but with even less chance at legacy buyers because they were on the shelf for not even half as long. It's a shame really, but I can see why, as like with everything else in this special club, Furyo is very much a niche scent before ultra high-end perfume commandeered the term.

Furyo starts with a bizarre dandy-like fruits and flowers opening that instantly sets it apart from anything else in it's rare class. Traditional opening notes of lavender, artemisia, coriander, and bergamot are joined by fig leaf, juniper berries, and laurel. The berries and fig make themselves readily apparent right away, with the more conventional top notes blurring into a smooth accompaniment. Before long, you realize just how floral this actually is, and how it's predominantly a spiced rose incense scent, sitting somewhere between a dry woody rose, and a sweeter jammy damask rose and leather. The middle is where the Furyo rose lives, supported by indolic jasmine similar to other dandy men's florals from pasr eras, but lacks the grassy galbanium used to slightly neuter the femininity of that rose. Here in Furyo, the rose is polished with geranium and mulled with cinnamon then sweetened with vanilla. The top and middle are pretty wild, but in the base we get both urinous civet and the sharp, almost waxy castoreum, imbuing Furyo with the projection and sillage of Caesium-137, just without making your skin glow like a drum of nuclear waste. This sumo wrestler base has it's twin animalics further buffed with amber, patchouli (which definitely comes through after some skin heat), vetiver, oakmoss and incense. The end wear of Furyo is rich, sweet, inviting, yet frighteningly muscular and challenging, making me wonder if this was made to be both attractive and passively vetting of potential romantic liaisons all in one. Who dares wins when approaching a person wearing Furyo, that's for damned sure. Several people warned me of a heavy nag champa note in the base, and I have plenty of various nag champa incense, but I've burned enough of it to say that maybe this slightly compares to the smell of an nag champa soap, but not the actual incense when burned. I don't really get a nag champa vibe at all until very late anyway. Wear time is all day and sillage is weaponized, so beware. Best use is up to you.

Furyo deservedly gets recollections of room-clearing might from folks who used it back in the day, and despite it's floral delicacies, is every bit the horny monster -if not more- that the earlier powerhouses were. I don't believe I've smelled much stronger, and Perfumer Thierry Wasser seems most likely responsible for the very flirtatiously floral top and middle, while knowing Ron Winnegrad's past work, was likely responsible for the monster base that has not one but two scary animalics in it. The key underlying difference between Furyo and something like Chanel Antaeus (1981) is Furyo achieves it's massive power without being overly macho, since the animalics work under the other notes and not over top them, making it strong in an abstract way like some of the siren-song feminine powerhouses of the decade. This is easily my favorite of this late-80's transitional floral crowd, because it doesn't even try sitting on it's hand, and rather just goes out and gets what it wants with a rose corsage to soften the blow it lands to your ego. It's easy to see why this is the among the most difficult to find and more expensive of the universally-discontinued lot, since it's got both performance and unique character, while the rest usually have just one or the other. If you do end up tracking this down and buying a bottle, please be careful with application, as even a standard three-spray to neck, chest, and face will leave you gasping in a cloud for a good hour. I mean, what do you want for a fragrance with a name that translates roughly from Japanese to "prisoner of war"? I was excited, enticed, and scared all at once, hence my reaction. Just please, whatever you do, sample this if at all possible before you believe all the hype (including mine), or you may regret it. This stuff pulls no punches AT ALL. Thumbs up
Apr 23, 2018

Yo! Furious fur here. Good indolic jasmine and a nag champa like incense come across similar to honey. Civet, castoreum, and/or those indoles? Surely something is responsible for its growl! Amber too, and it's one peculiarly attractive oriental. As with other Bogart offerings, Furyo is a great scent to reach for when a 50lb sledge hammer is the right tool for the job. When more refinement is required I reach for Balenciaga pH.
Jan 17, 2018

I remember really loving Furyo back when I was in college. I never owned it because I always felt the animalistic aspect would be off putting to females, yet friends owned it and would pull it off. I happened upon a open bottle in a discount store recently and it was like I was in 1989 again. However, aspects of the fragrance seemed quite different to my mature nose today. First, I recall a much greener scent, with a big bite of laurel in the center. I mostly get clove, cinnamon and perhaps a touch of jasmine flower, which is altogether lighter and smoother than what I can recall. Also the animalistic aspect is toned down and it seems to have a more common patchouli and amber base, which gives it far more balance than what I remember. I actually wouldn't be afraid to wear this today. I passed on the bottle in favor of some more modern scents that were available. Furyo really is still a great fragrance that for me is lost in time. I'm surely going Thumbs Up for it though.
Nov 17, 2017

Show more reviews of Furyo...

Add your review of Furyo