Reviews of Fougère L'Aube

Overall

Fougère L'Aube by Rogue Perfumery

Add your review of Fougère L'Aube

Reviews of Fougère L'Aube by Rogue Perfumery

There are 17 reviews of Fougère L'Aube by Rogue Perfumery.

I am going to go against the grain here and say I really don't like Fougere L'Aube as much as I expected to. It's not that it's a bad fragrance, but it just falls short of my expectation. I was expecting a powerful lavender fougere, but all I get is a sweet, floral soapy experience with no perceptible changes from application to drydown. I like many of the high wuality ingredients used here, but jut not my cup of tea. Bon Monsieur is better though very powerful.

It is something children smell when they hug their fathers before he drops them off in the morning.a responsible man smells like everyday,day in and day out.it is also rugged enough to be purely masculine.to be the guy who can discuss esoteric philosophy and history just as easily as he can bench press and fix stuff around the house. it is an ideal signature scent for a renaissance man. Fougere L'Aube smells like a fresh shaving soap,ultra fresh and very aromatic.

I get lemon lime up front,with a soft gorgeous lavender,turning to a geranium like scent,with a hay.after a bit the pleasant oakmoss and warm rose comes in strong and it just smells great. in the end it is a surprisingly real nice enticing warm wood that comes through,carrying a lingering trail of the tangy and rich early phases.totall freshness.i say fresh like you just showered under a warm waterfall while being too familiar with someone you just met.it is not a scent for the candy boys smells.this scent covers all the needs of the modern classic gentleman;it is soapy,earthy,woody, floral and a bit sweet.totally Fougere L'Aube is a bit more of an aromatic fougère composition than a traditional barbershop.

Sweet and floral citrus opening that melds into lovely hay and light ivy notes. Really nice entry of the rose and oak moss really balances well on my skin. Much has already been said about Fougère L'Aube which paints the picture with much more detail than I can. This is very much a nostalgic perfume and I can't quite put my finger on why. Definitely a unisex perfume.

Rogue Fougère L'Aube is a new appreciable alchemy issued by this american niche lab and a real jump back in to a glorious "barber-shop" past under my vulgar nose. I agree with drseid that this fragrance is a fine example of what a traditional aromatic fougère should smell like (a modern example of the "real deal"), due to the effort of this artisanal perfume house refusing (likewise few others) to comply with the penalizing IFRA guidelines which have finally almost killed and depersonalized the historical olfactory categories. Since the first minutes after the application on skin several classic herbal fougére creations as Trophee Lancome and Trussardi Action Uomo jump more than vaguely on mind with their "legacy" of dry floral notes, aromatic lavender, grass, piquant spices, galbanum, coumarine, juniper berries and moss. I perceive by soon (in the top stage) a certain aromatic/citric grassy piquancy under my profane nose, probably provided by dry/aromatic spicy notes, which are slightly hesperidic (lime, coumarine and bergamot) and quite grassy-minty (fern, mint, angelica?). The grassy notes are vivid, vibrant, vaguely coniferous, kind of "minty/balsamic", lymphatic and definitely aromatic (conjuring the cool "early morning air" on the high mountains). In particular hay, galbanum, petitgrain and camphor produce a dominant sort of bitter/peppery, grassy/resinous, woody/paper and mossy/camphoraceous dryness all around (conjuring me several more recent Testa Maura-creations as Carticasi and Mia Murzia as well), quite notable in the general grassy/leafy atmosphere. The latter is the mossy "field" on which a dry piquant floral tandem (rose/geranium?) at one point settles its roots in the real core of the olfactory performance. As the composition enters its final basic stage than notes as oakmoss, coniferous resins, woods and galbanum (supported by hay, coumarine and grassy aromatic notes) finally cast down the woodsy vivid ambience of this olfactory "silvan" creation. Dry down is somewhat linear, still bitter/peppery, basically mossy-resinous (cistus/labdanum), dry/leafy-floral and definitely grassy. Projection is medium while longevity is above average on my skin. In conclusion Fougère L'Aube could not be defined a real crack but is definitely a more the dignified contemporary "reproduction" of the classic fougère structure by a wise assemblation (in line with a glorious herbal aromatic past) of high quality raw materials and natural ingredients.

Lots of camphor to lighten the scent. Almost radiant; opens very cool and refreshing with citrus (lemon, bergamot, also petitgrain ?). I get the ashy galbanum too. Lavender appears a bit later.

The costus (dirty hair) hides discreetly in the middle notes; smells like hair combs used to when people washed (their hair) less often : of scalp and hair and their interaction with the comb.

Strong, good projection. Very nice. This is another yes, and possibly my favourite of all the Rogues. However, at the moment, Jacomo de Jacomo has this role in my wardrobe. Fougere L'Aube has more citrus and brightness than the Jacomo - it's not goth.

Very smooth - all melds nicely into a classic fougere within a fairly short time. Extremely wearable.
Drydown has sweet honey note (not pissy at all)

Stardate 20200815:

Opens up as bitter-green and sweet floral. I don't smell any lavender here.
Moves to sweet musk and rose.
A very floral masculine. Givenchy did that successfully with Insense. This one may be better
FBW and thumbs up

Fougere L'Aube opens with a tinge of slightly sharp bergamot citrus, with a moderately sweet honeyed-green petitgrain and galbanum tandem in support before transitioning to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart a fine aromatic lavender joins sharp, rosy-green geranium with a combination of the remaining green galbanum, hay-like coumarin and oakmoss from the base in support. During the late dry-down the composition stays relatively linear as the overall fern-like accord from the heart remains through the finish, with the green aspect gradually receding to unveil supporting relatively sweet, subtle sandalwood detectable in the base. Projection is average, and longevity above average at 9-10 hours on skin.

Due to IFRA regulations, real aromatic fougeres (complete with bergamot, oakmoss and "hay-like" coumarin) are a dying breed if not near-extinct. Luckily we have artisanal perfume houses like Rouge Perfumery that refuse to comply with the ridiculous genre killing IFRA guidelines, reminding us what the "real deal" actually smells like and keeping the category alive, if not still on life support. Fougere L'Aube is a fine example of what an aromatic fougere should smell like. It has all the ingredients one would expect to create the classic "fern-like" accord while never (thankfully) straying into modern fougere territory. The mossy-green oakmoss and hay-like coumarin in this case are more subdued, letting the rosy-green geranium take center stage in the heart to drive the relatively linear development. In the end, Fougere L'Aube breaks no new ground, but perfumer Cross has the classic fougere structure down to a tee, coupling great skill with the use of high quality ingredients, making for a fine outing regardless. The bottom line is the $125 per 60 ml bottle Fougere L'Aube may not plow new ground, but is one of the final true examples of a real classically structured aromatic fougere, presented wholly intact and crafted with fine skill and polish by perfumer Cross, earning a "very good" to "excellent" 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5 rating and a solid recommendation to old school aromatic fougere lovers lamenting IFRA destruction of the genre.

Wow. From other reviews I went in expecting something that was a citric variation on Green Irish Tweed... they're similar but so different.

For starters, the opening to this is green without being shrill. The bergamot used is an old school, powdery, gentlemanly style that reins in the galbanum quite nicely and transitions smoothly to geranium. The citrus hangs around as an undercurrent without overtaking the opening.

I was expecting a dry, bracing kick and taken completely off guard by the lack of piercing qualities, then delighted by how this develops. During the dry down, the GIT comparisons really begin to make sense - beautifully restrained masculine florals with a peck of sandalwood. The sandalwood is incredibly subtle and not really discernible as a distinct note floating on its own, which makes sense - Mysore sandalwood is perilously expensive... and Fougere L'Aube is not. Simple economics dictate Manny can't be using a whole lot in each blend.

Words kind of fail me going further into the wear. There is oakmoss and it is good. Then my brain go melty with happiness.

This is much more than the sum of its parts. If you're a big fougere fan or like verdant fragrances, you should at least get a sample... or just go hard and buy it. It's fucking awesome.

I've tried but not yet reviewed Chypre-Siam by the same house, which I will leave until I can do it justice.

Today, though, is Fougere L'Aube. An equal achievement? Perhaps not, but very, very good. The opening provides citrus and galbanum, making for a wistful and summery accord, much in the mould of Papyrus de Ciane. After a little while, the florals come through and this is where the barbershop, starched-shirt impression is formed. References at this point might be Sartorial, Carven pour Homme, and Floris's Jermyn Street. That's not in fact my favourite part of the fougere spectrum; thankfully the final act of Fougere L'Aube is a slightly sweet, slightly biscuity lavender making for the warmer scent that personally I am happier with. If there is amber, sandalwood, or oakmoss at this stage, they are very much in the background. But the notes I discussed are easily sufficient for this reviewer.

So in short, traditional but original, lovely construction, not "beastly" by any means, but very wearable and utterly bottle-worthy. Post CV-19 I intend to shift those parts of my collection that don't get worn and replace them with those that will. This could easily be a contender.

Near immediate update: there is a definite connection to GIT here, but FL'A uses violet in a way that's acceptable to me. Normally I can't stand it. And that base note - some here have it as sandalwood. I'd say more biscuity (so lavender) than creamy, but, well, it could be both, or neither.

A very enjoyable and uplifting gentleman's scent , I get a green frosted field with the sun warming the ground and causing dew and steam, I also get a melon vibe or honey dew melon to be precise, which I think is being caused by the rose and tricking my nose. The fragrance reminds me of green Irish tweed in many ways and a bit of millisime imperial thrown in. I don't find this fragrance dated in any way and is a very versatile all season all occasion type, a very good alternative to the above fragrances.

Generally, as a rule, I'm not usually a big fan of fougere type scents. But...
This, is good. Traditional. Intense. Lavender note is perfection here. Old-school greenery. Stems. Crushed leaves. Slightly honeyed hay (or even seasonal straw reaping). Son of a bitch! This, is good! Clean and clear. Freshness, to the nth degree. This one has me reeling. The hay keeps it real with, an added camphor that inspires. Costus blasts its way into the mix, with an herbal integrity. More flavor later with a hard-candy vibe.
Marvelous mix of notes overall. Unisex? Absolutely! Garden floral, amber-ish, mossy, clean green, slightly woody without appearing fake. I am running out of praise for this one.
Lots more costus later. A very happy, joyous uplifting fragrance. It deserves an award.

Sweet grass flavor later, makes me smile and swoon.

This smells to me like a very traditional "masculine fougere", with a fresh, almost sharp opening of green citrus, galbanum & mint. It's clean, green & soapy, as others have noted. It's very radiant on my skin for the first couple of hours, then the citrus recedes a little & I get a herbal, leathery feel before the lavender comes through. I don't get rose or costus from this at all. Later on it warms up with a base of moss & spice, & six hours in as it's faded close to the skin, I could swear I smell coconut. The citrus is still detectable though, & it retains the element of freshness all the way through. There are still traces of this on my skin sixteen hours after application.
I've never smelled Green Irish Tweed, therefore I cannot make a comparison here as others have, but this one does remind me a little of Cacharel pour L'Homme, which my ex-husband wore back in the nineties. For that reason it's not something I could wear, but I think it is very well done, & lacks the harshness that many in this genre seem to convey. Nice work.

So when I first got a whiff of this one I was thinking to myself "I've smelt this before"??. I couldn't put my finger on it but it really reminded me of something. Then it hit me. This is a citrus version of Green Irish Tweed. That may sound strange but it really works. Doesn't quite have the staying power of some of the other Rogue fragrances but one that I shall consider buying in the near future. Very nice!!

This is an immaculate and manly scent. Very crisp and clean. I do agree that there is a Creed GIT element to it...but I actually like this better. It is not overpowering like, GIT. Well done...will be ordering this for sure!

Rogue – Fougere L'Aube (2019)

A very light, green fougere, so evanescent as to almost not be there at all.

It has the effect of possessing herbals in excelsius, yet none are listed in its note tree. The most dominant effect is the hay note, aided by just a touch of galbanum. Sadly, my nose is unable to detect any of the other notes, not even the camphor and oak moss, which one would expect to be both recognizable and center stage.

I can give this only a neutral rating. Not bad, not good, just in between. I would have liked to have smelled it before Mr. Cross gave it the addition of the “modern aroma chemicals.” Being modern isn't always the best decision. “Classic” formulas are tagged so, for a reason.

Smells like a fougere. Green clean and just a bit of sharpness. Soapy clean oakmoss similar to Mousse. A few hours in I started to smell something just a pinch spiced. Good longevity, though not as beastly as Mousse Illuminee, but then again, what is? Thumbs up. Worth a sample if fougeres are your bag.

The scent opened with a fresh bergamot with a green galbanum note. The opening was crisp and refreshing going along the lines of Creed Green Irish Tweed. Not exactly the same scent but does have some similarity. Lavender florals emerged in the heart that blends with the existing galbanum. I do pick up on a violet leaf note that is present in GIT. I definitely pick up a dominating fougere here. A few hours in the florals started to taper off while the oakmoss and wood notes started to creep in. Some of the magic from the fougere effect is lost but is replaced with the mossy accord that we're used to seeing that is present in some of the other rogue scents. Decent longevity and silage. I must say It carries a timeless feel similar to GIT that it could fit in with the modern times. Overall I would consider this a gentlemen like scent, formal, classy, and clean. If one enjoys the smell of Creed Green Irish Tweed, one will likely enjoy Fougere L'Aube. Great work Manny!