Reviews of Fierce
Abercrombie & Fitch (2002)

Overall

Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch

Add your review of Fierce

Reviews of Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch

There are 104 reviews of Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch.

Smells very young and fresh with some refined woody spices. Fierce is still very modern and casual without becoming one of those sweet, “blue” scents that half of all new releases or flankers seem to end up smelling like. It does remind me of being in the mall 10-15 years ago but I still have some appreciation for this once obnoxious menace to retail spaces.

I have a newer sample so performance doesn't seem to be what it used to be but it still projects and lasts 10+ hours.

I approached this review with much caution because I know the cultural impact this fragrance has had for better or worse and it is difficult to parse that from the quality and style of the smell itself. Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce Cologne (2002) became the literal smell of the American mall and subsequently the mall-going teen to early-20's male for the remainder of the 2000's. Fierce replaced Abercrombie & Fitch Woods (1997) as the main male perfume offering, since Woods was a very conservative masculine affair that didn't click with the new 2000's "Mooks and Midriffs" marketing strategy of obnoxiously crass males in tanks and cargo shorts alongside vapid, over-sexualized females in crop tops and daisy dukes, meaning the olfactive experience had to match the visual one. Designers and boutique brands had been experimenting with bombastic youth-oriented masculine perfumes since the onset of the millennium to capitalize on "Y2K youth culture", a fabricated aesthetic by corporate interests to funnel the kinetics of ever-changing tastes from an emerging generation of guys spoon-fed instant gratification from internet-connected devices like laptops and early smartphones into scent form. These were the ozonics of the 90's retrofitted with additional sweet fruity tones and sharp woody musks into an almost neon glow to grab one's attention, and Fierce became arguably the flagship fragrance of that early 2000's ilk. It was a briefly-lived genre of "radioactive grapefruit" as I like to describe it, but despite the profusion of scent that once greeted the A&F shopper at the door, Fierce is actually one of the gentler examples of the style when worn on skin, although that isn't to say this is overall a gentle fragrance.

The bracing smell of Fierce is one instantly recognizable to anyone who walked past an Abercrombie & Fitch store in the 2000's, as the stuff was literally pumped through the damned airducts by employeed until enough complaints made them cease the practice in the 2010's. Vibrant and sweet citrus notes combined with airy florals and a marine note to announce the rest of the composition, which was essentially a hybrid dandy fougère and aquatic freshie infused with enough Iso E Super to kill a horse by accident. Petitgrain, lemon, orange, and grapefruit are all married to dihydromyrcenol and jasmine hedione in the solar flare top, with a bouquet of dry rose, muguet, cardamom, and clary sage in the heart to give Fierce the airy feel it has once the nuclear sweet tarts and citrus dies down. Soft and powdery cashmeran with vetiver, oakmoss, white laundry musk, and rosewood ride on that backbone of potentially nose-blinding Iso E Super, which attributes to the vibrance from afar, but can make Fierce feel deceptively quiet on the wearer. The overall aura of Fierce is really anything but once it settles down, as the citrus and aromachemicals are what makes this scream, but once they get tuned out, there is a rather unisex dandy floral under it all, sandwiched between the blaring top and sharp synthetic woods base. Final skin scent for Fierce is admittedly sexy and inviting, once you get past all the sexually ambiguous chest pounding in the transitional phase. Longevity is a bit questionable at 6 hours but A&F makes this up to 200ml so reapplication shouldn't be a problem. We won't go there so far as sillage is concerned. If you wear this, any time of year will do, but no proper context can be recommended for something this recognizably notorious.

Wearing Fierce is something difficult to do and be taken seriously so long after it's gaudy smell fumigated malls, high school hallways, skate rinks, arcades, fast food joints, night clubs, and movie theaters all throughout suburban America in the 2000's, and most guys who wore it then are only potentially rocking years later for nostalgia due to the associated memories but are somewhat embarrassed to admit they like it, while Abercrombie & Fitch still ostensibly pitches Fierce to the youth culture but with a wholesome unisex self-empowerment marketing approach, having long since scrapped the Mtv-inspired "Mooks and Midriffs" garbage and even covered up the ripped abs and exposed groin on the ridiculous bottles a bit more with a higher belt line. Stuff in this segment like Givenchy Green Energy (2000), Dior Higher (2001), Victoria Secret Very Sexy for Him (2001), Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss (2002), Calvin Klein Crave (2002), and Kenneth Cole New York Men (2002) have all but been forgotten (and discontinued in some cases), yet Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce Cologne soldiers on, such is the unlikely success it has had. The handmade cosmetic chain "Lush" seems to have taken a page from the retired A&F strategy and performs the same trick of annoucing their presence in a mall with a scent envelope, but I'm not sure it can be helped in their case. Give Fierce a shot next time you cruise into an A&F store if just for laughs, since a new generation of the same self-conscious trend-oriented teens will be glad to show you the way, and although my personal love/hate relationship with Fierce will continue on, I can't help but commend perfumers Christoph Laudamiel and Bruno Jovanovic from an artistic viewpoint for creating such an iconic aroma you love to sniff but hate to admit you like. Thumbs up.

The only problem about this cologne is all the ideas around it... Mall, preppy 20 year olds, the fact that A&F sprayed it all over their stores...

But the cologne itself is great, I have received many compliments while using it...

I really enjoy it but as a 30 year old male I don't think I should use it anymore..

Ah, Fierce. How amazing you are yet how bad you are at the same time.

Ever go to a mall? You're bound to smell it. A Frekin' concussion grenade shining through the vents of Abercrombie & Fitch. A scent that every popular teenager has or did have, and linked to many terrible crimes on the campus of many colleges. But that does not matter.

Many confuse politics with sports, or in this case, crimes with scents. But A&F Fierce, you hate to love it, but you do. You know its amazing, and you know it smells like something cheap you can pick up at your Walgreens or CVS. But again, that does not matter.

It's iconic, it brought a new wave of musky, woody scents to a younger crowd, that rebooted the current generation from wanting Axe, Old Spice, and BodMan, to going with Dolce & Gabanna, A&F, Dior Sauvage, and the list goes on.

Beware, my only complaint. Hold onto this scent for a while, and it will begin to wear off and not smell like you first bought it. I'm currently on the same 6.7oz bottle i bought a year and change ago, and it doesn't smell much like how we know it to be, has little to no sillage or longevity. My review is purely based on that initial spray, and first time you ever wear it.

This is must-try, but certainly not a must-have for anybody's collection.

Scent- 9/10
Longevity- 7.5/10
Sillage - 8/10

You cannot unsmell
This charcoal gray three-piece suit
Mall-rat stud T-shirt.

I think it's OK. Every teenager smells like this but it's not offensive in small doses.

Definitely a great scent if you're a teenager, but once you reach a certain age you SHOULD really not wear it... I've bumped into a lot of men in their late 40s who wear this... This is really not for you, I believe the age limit for this is under 22. I have gotten plenty of compliments when wearing this even though it reminds me a lot to "Legend" by Mont Blanc.

This is very spicy and fresh! Its a very masculine scent that will easily draw people in, it may be overly used but its used a lot for a reason...this smells very sexy! A man of confident's, a man that knows you only live once, a man that is..Fierce!!!

If there is one word to define this scent is "Puerile": It makes me to think of self-centered, immature, childish individuals that are too rich to care with a hollow mind bent in satisfying their own urges without respect for society's rules.
Probably this is due to the image of A&F catering for the rich, immature youth and nothing to do with the perfume itself which actually is pleasant and very masculine.
It would not suit me, an old fart, but I can see why is so popular.
Another thing I dislike about this perfume, and has nothing to do with the scent proper, is its bottle, it is disgusting.
In summary, all the negative that I find on this perfume has nothing to do with the actual scent, therefore I can not rate it with a thumbs down, so it gets a neutral from me.

It opens with a synthetic citrus and then gets woodier and muskier in the basenotes.

It smells like a cheap drug store fragrance that would appeal to teenagers. Longevity and projection though are good but I'm not impressed by the cheap smell.

A wonderful scent for beefcake's everywhere.

And children.

It's a great smell, that immediately associates with a negative stigma of fraternities and high schoolers. I wouldn't use this anytime soon, but it is a good scent.

A great fragrance, with a fierce historyFirst cologne that I entirely went through. For good reason, but also for bad. + Very well blended base woodsy tones. These tones are excellently blended. Most men like woody scents, and this is not short in that department. + The top is citrussy and spicy, which definitely is an attention getter. These notes compliment the "woods" appropriately. + This is a compliment getter from only women...which is something that most dudes would also like. It pushes men away, and brings the ladies in. Every time I have worn it, I have gotten attention from it. It is just one of those fragrances. It lives up to the hype, at least it does on my skin. + This is the stuff that sells AandF clothing. This is what lures teenagers and tweens alike. This is the stuff that will make venus purr. + Great silage, longevity, and projection. But, it has its drawbacks. - This is not unique. Because of the success of the cologne and some fabulous marketing, it is popular, and well known to the population's nose. Anyone under 30 is familiar with it. Possibly older populations know of it as well. This is one scent I guarantee you HAVE SMELT BEFORE at some place in your life. And will to for years to come. - Thanks to a series of fraternity rapes, where this actually has been mentioned, it has a stigma as a rapist cologne. And rightly so in my opinion. It happened at my college, as I hear many others. The image and narcissistic individuals who wear/buy into AandF also wear this doesn't help this fragrance's cause. - Meatheads and 40 year old stalkers wear this a lot. I dont need to say more, because this is true. - The picture. For the record, if you do actually peel off the picture of abs, you just might have issues. I personally hate the picture, because it is just sleazy marketing and an easy cash-cow. Consumers should demand more of any fragrance, no matter the age. Additionally, it comes off as...well...soft. - The CEO of AandF is an asshole and you are an asshole if you buy this product for any reason. You know it, I know it, and your dog knows it. You are buying into the "We don't like fat people working in our stores or wearing our clothes" mentality because you are funding that frequently mentioned quote. - Because of these factors, only the unexperienced will be diving into it. Ie. You are a teen. If you are over 22 you should not be wearing this fragrance. You are only as mature as the bottle. If you are swooned by this image and what I have mentioned before, then go for it. You would actually be a perfect fit and it would be a fit for you. = Whenever you are putting this on, people think of all the things I just listed. But oh, those woody tones smell so, so very good. Which is a shame, because this is, overall, a great fragrance. I will admit it. I hate to write a review that is inherently biased. I wanted to like this. I really did. But socially, everything I listed is in the background, because that is what I hear when that guy who is over loaded on "Fierce" walks into the room. Fierce is impossible to wear because of the history of the scent and of AandF. Unless you are a rapist. Pros: Compliment getter, Great Woodsy TonesCons: Likely reformulated, Bottle Image, Stigma, Almost everyone has knows scent"

Complete waste of money

This smells like a glorified bodyspray. You might as well save your cash and buy some Axe. Extremely irritating to smell after a while, it's far too strong. If anyone in close vicinity has oversprayed (basically anything more than one spray from a distance is overspraying with this), you can practically taste it in the air it's so strong.

The same type of girls who like this? Will like Axe. So, do yourself a favor and either buy a can of Axe for next to nothing, or look around for a better scent.

I Don't Get Fierce I don't get the hype about Fierce. The other day I travelled 100 miles round trip to the nearest A&F store just to try it. What a disappointment! It may be my chemistry, but to me it smells a bit like a very weak, synthetic, sour version of GIT. Could it have been the tester? What am I missing?Pros: ReputationCons: Doesn't Smell Good

One of my worst I blind bought this because I LOVED how it smelled on one of my students - it is horrid on me - this was several years ago and before I started coming here, and before I had really started getting into buying more scents - anyway - the stuff is simply harsh and wretched to my nose. It has many of the characteristics/notes that I usually like, but it fails, at least on me - to be truthful, the BOD "Really Ripped Abs" rip-off of it is slightly better and has more longevity, and that's pretty sad, I don't like Really Ripped Abs either, and would never wear it but it could be a dirt cheap alternative for someone if you like this stuff that comes in the rather gross male torso bottle - Add in the less than stellar attitude of the company itself and this stuff falls to the very bottom of my list - I would wear Brut or Old Spice everyday before I wore this - I am giving the bottle that has been basically forgotten for years to the student who for some unexplained miracle of nature it smells delightful on - I gave it 2 stars because on a FEW people this stuff does smell pretty good - but do NOT blind buy this of course it's nearly impossible to have not smelled it on someone somewhere or at least sampled the vile concoction out of curiosity. Women are supposed to like this - THIS one does NOT

It smells great, but the downside is definitely that you will 'smell like the mall'. If they didn't pump this through the stores, this would get a thumbs up.

I don't think the smell is bad, but the reputation it has and the memories that are brought about from the smell are negative.
It smells like every mall in North America. If you walk anywhere within a 1-mile radius of an Abercrombie store, you will smell this fragrance.
It is worn by the very young (like teens, pre-teens) and is often worn in too high of a dosage.

It is VERY strong, and really I think 1/2 of a spray is plenty. And it should absolutely never be worn to class or work or a movie theater or anywhere that would require you to be in close quarters with people for a long period of time. It can get annoying when it is forced upon your nostrils constantly.

The smell is nice from a distance, though. When someone walks by, you want to turn and walk in their direction to keep smelling it!

I love this one and is quickly becoming one of my favorites. If you take away the connection to the store, I don't see how the reviewers claim this is for the under 25 crowd. This is the only fragrance that I have that has drawn a compliment from another man at work. Longevity has been very good on my skin and much better than Mont Blanc Legend, which I feel is a very similar scent.

I Love this fragrance. It's citrusy yet woodsy and fresh. Smells like an antique store or walking through a woods full of pine trees. Used to wear it every day until I discovered Zara 9.71

It is easy to dismiss this one because the bottle design (which is a picture of a muscular man's torso), but I'm purely judging by the juice. This one is certainly a citrus scent (with a tiny bit of woodsiness in the background). It's certainly something I think I've smelled before, at a mall where young people hang around. With the citrus notes, I think they are a little more pungent and sour than sweet and fresh. I

t is a bit masculine but it has a lightness about it though. In the end, I think this wouldn't be bad for a younger audience (under 25, and for those in high school), however at the priceline of $75 for a 3.4 oz, I really think it's a bit pricey for what you are getting and you can certainly do better. I don't think I'll be buying this one, but it's not bad. It's still a good scent overall. It just didn't impress me a lot.

Strength: Medium
Season: Spring
Age: Under 25
Rating: 6 out of 10
Verdict: I'm not particularly urging you to sample this, but if you are curious about this one go for it.

well, for all those still in high school up until the age of twenty five or so, if you're looking for a fragrance that will allure the ladies..look no further

a beautifully well crafted citrus,woods and spice fragrance. it was my signature scent for five years

Although this one is very popular, it does the trick and does it well. It is a mixture, it is right on the line of young and classy. However, I feel this may be more suitable for those under 25, not neccesarily because it has a young smell but because it seems very trendy with them and many know it as that.

My Rating (1-5):
Longetivity: 3.5
Projection: 3
Scent: 4

Overall: 3.5

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!