Fat Electrician
Etat Libre d'Orange (2009)

Overall

About Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

Etat Libre d'Orange

Where to buy Fat Electrician

Reviews of Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

There are 56 reviews of Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange.

I found this a strange experience. Although described as a vetiver-led scent, I get no vetiver, only a rather dark and nondescript woody accord at the back end. The front is loaded with a rather gourmand-y creamy nut accord, which I presume is the chestnut. It is warm, smooth, and comforting, and the notes combine well together. But there is a downside: it's just not that edgy or original. There is no USP. Coming from this house, that's a disappointing conclusion. Not bad but there's just not that much to write about. That works out at a neutral rating.
Sep 23, 2021

I wish this fragrance was as exciting or humorous as the name.

I was surprised and disappointed somewhat by the sample because this brand is usually not afraid to push the boundaries and with an catchy name like this I was expecting something different.

The essence of the formula appears very simplistic to my nose - even without an vetiver you could recreate the majority of this by mixing norlimbanol and then smoothing down the dry hiss of that with lots of Iso E Super, coumarin and a touch of myrrh.

It's fine and wearable, but for me it is a forgettable woody fragrance. I read a review which proposed that the "fat electrician" referenced earth like "electrical earth" which may describe the warm woody notes in this scent and the direction the perfumer decided to go.

To match the name, I wish they had been braver and gone down a more plastic/sweat note accord.

There are better woods at the same or lower price point so unless you have a great connection to this one or the brand I would recommend other fragrances over this.
Aug 4, 2021

I'm a vetiver lover. I'm also a vanilla lover. I thought the notes list sounded like that old Reese's Peanut Butter Cup ad from the 1970's - Hey! You got chocolate in my peanut butter! Vanilla and vetiver - what could possibly go wrong? Everything. They both get a failing grade from the teacher in the box reading, "Gets along and plays well with others." When the vetiver is loudest, the vanilla is there, in the background smelling vaguely of sweetness on the edge of decay. When the vanilla tries to assert itself, the vetiver drags it into a damp, dark basement, turns off the light and slams the door at the top of the stairs.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make sure my bottles of Guerlain SDV and Chanel Sycomore are on different shelves before someone gets hurt.
Apr 18, 2021

One of the best ELdO fragrances to my nose, and one of the silliest perfume names ever. It's so damn ironic it's hard to tell if it's more funny/cool than lame or not. Although on a second thought, I like this name so much more than any of the "Sexy Lovebomb Pink Seductress Glitter Edition" stuff, so maybe it's not so bad after all. Better to be so ironic that it's getting silly than just outright dumb, right?

It smells of vetiver, lots of very realistic vetiver. I had a pleasure to smell some real vetiver oil, and it really smells like that - whether they used a real oil or an illusion of it here. It's beautiful, I like the smell. I don't get much resins or chestnut cream, but it smells very calming, outdoorsy and serene. It doesn't smell like any fat nor lean electricians I have ever met. It smells like freedom.
Feb 17, 2021

Playdough Vetiver

I get rooty vetiver, almost ashy, but not quite. Below that is a gross plasticy playdough vanilla. Its a poorly done note. There is some blended spices in the far back, id suppose thats the frankincense and myrh, but it just reads as a tiny bit of spice rack whispering. The balance is off, though there arent really any sharp edges, the vetiver and vanilla do not mesh, and are sort of like two rocks sitting together. Not well done in my opinion.
Sep 10, 2020

I like vetiver, so this is a positive from me. Having said that, it is quite sweet, and sweeter than I prefer my vetiver fragrances. It's long lasting and very linear on my skin. Just a sweet vetiver from beginning to end. It took ages to finish my sample, because I like to wear this with a light hand. I do not need to repurchase.
Mar 19, 2020

Show more reviews of Fat Electrician...

Add your review of Fat Electrician