Reviews of Fahrenheit

Overall

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Add your review of Fahrenheit

Reviews of Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

There are 359 reviews of Fahrenheit by Christian Dior.

An incredibly tenacious fragrance in vintage formulation with an unmistakable piercing-petrol-sharp-leathery-floral invigorating freshness that brings back so many memories. It is one of the most easily recognizable fragrances when detected in the air. Nothing quite like it and it never gets old.

The finest use of a violet note in a men's scent that I know of, with a superbly constructed leather and petrol / gasoline accord and flame coloured bottle. I own 3 bottles or the first formulation EDT (30 and 33 Avenue Hoche printed on the label on the base) and an after shave from 1988. The current formulation pales in comparison. The first formulation is a real powerhouse and would be considered niche strength today, lasting in excess of 12 hours on my skin. A true classic which has suffered greatly from multiple reformulation since its initial release but the original will always be worth buying. Dior's greatest fragrance for men alongside Jules from 1981.

I am generally a Dior fragrance admirer, I have 3 of their best sellers.

But this one, is thumbs down.

My olfactory impression is this- if you have ever had a dry cleaning garment, for which they did half ass job and did not remove the solvent completely, the garment will smell of faint kerosene or gasoline like. I have had experience few times with some NY dry cleaners. Hence I cannot get that association out of my head. Apart from that, it smells vaguely of Trussardi Uomo, hints of Aramis, some Jules DNA (its a brother after all) and may be some Antaeus.

Would not spend money on this one without a generous testing if I was considering this one.

This was the first fragrance that I truly loved when I got it in my late teens; it remains one of the few designer frags I wear on a regular basis (in the Fall).

What more can be said- a still unique petrol and leather experience.

The modern reformulation lacks the longevity and monstrous sillage of the original and there might be something else missing, but I can't recall what it might be; enough is there (the memberberries definitely play a role in my overall high appraisal of this scent) for even modern reformulations to be FB worthy imo.

8.7 (modern formula)
9.1 (old school)

I would describe this as 'other worldly'.

If I could only have one fragrance, this would be it. Simply stunning.

You've spent the day at the dragstrip racing and tuning up your classic musclecar, and your shirt smells of gasoline, oil, and old leather. You can also faintly make out the aromatic, spicy barbershop scent you applied earlier in the day. You take a break to eat a cucumber sandwich seasoned with cracked pepper. That's Fahrenheit. What's not to love?

Despite the petroleum vibes, it is not at all a heavy feeling fragrance. The green and aromatic notes make this a nice warm weather wear, and it also has a bit of sweetness. As it dries down, it leaves you with some musky and leathery notes with just a hint of spice. It is complex and well balanced--a masterpiece. One of my go-to easy choice fragrances.

People use oil, gasoline, and petrol interchangeably and it confuses things.

I haven't smelled every iteration of Fahrenheit but I do have a pre-major-reformulation bottle and a bottle that dates to about 2018. They are both fantastic and each is recognizably Fahrenheit.

On my skin, vintage Fahrenheit is standing in your woodshed on a summer evening, looking out onto your yard. Behind you the lawnmower quietly cools off, the chopped-up grass stuck to the blades co-mingling with the smell of the lawnmower oil and the wood, and a soft breeze carries in the scent of various flowers from your yard (I get a lot of honeysuckle and violet). Nutmeg and patchouli round out the earthiness. Vintage Fahrenheit is truly a powerfully and singularly evocative and nostalgic scent.

The newer formulation I have doesn't quite get me there in that specific respect. But, it still carries that trademark oily lawnmower effect up top, albeit in an abstracted form, and it still has a transition into a slightly sweet, confidently floral mid that is nothing short of poetic. It may not smell as natural as the vintage or feel quite as heady an experience, but the ideas are still there and they are still executed well, especially given the current restrictions. The original hit such great heights that even in attenuated form it manages to still rock the socks.

Fahrenheit is still one of the best designer scents on the market.

I own a 50ml and a 100ml bottle of the vintage Fahrenheit. Back when it was introduced, I was oblivious to its existence, indeed, my nose was fairly untrained that I would probably not have appreciated it. Fast forward to my more mature years and I have developed a fascination with the "gasoline"-type scents. The initial thrill of Fahrenheit is, sadly, too short-lived; and while the dry-down does reveal an exquisite scent, it's the top note that is my crack. Even my wife likes the scent...after the dry down :-(
If you have never tried this juice, and you're willing to drop some coin for the original formulation, imo, it would be well-worth your effort.
Unique.

With Farenheit there is such a polarized reaction it is astounding from deep reverence to complete loathing. For the same fragrance. Having learned that some fragrances take a few wears to 'get' and understand in order to enjoy I took the plunge.

Farenheit(1988)
I mow. I have a gas lawnmower. It's old and has grass clippings caked on it. I'm kinda sloppy when I put gas in it. I fire it up and start my first passes and Christian Dior somehow made that the opening of Farenheit. After getting over being totally flabbergasted that my fossil fuel burning mundane yard task has been 'cologned' I have convinced myself to give it some time and a few more wears.

**Not surprisingly, this is now in my top 10. My original 2013 version definitely has a stronger 'fuel' note. The current bottle I just received recently has that initial note toned down in comparison, which is ironically dissapointing since that opening hit me as intense as it did originally, yet became part of the joy of the composition for me. Also the dry down has a slight bit more 'amber-y' almost sweetness vs dry leather of the older version. That isn't a deal breaker but I like the older version better.

Fahrenheit EDT -

Love to overspray this one! Sporting a ridiculous amount of accords, nothing else smells like Fahrenheit and for me it remains the most creative men's frag from the house of Dior.

I prefer to wear it in warmer weather when my chest hair can roam free through a wide open collar.

4 stars.

Fahrenheit by Dior opens with a mixture of green notes and citrus. Among them, the most prominent are the floral aroma of hawthorn and the sweetness of mandarin. Fahrenheit quickly brings associations with meadows in spring, which was largely due to the composition of lavender and camomile. A little roughness is added by bergamot and lemon. Honeysuckle also plays a very important role in the initial phase of the scent. Its characteristic, sweetish aroma is one of the signature elements of Fahrenheit. The opening of the composition is undoubtedly intriguing and draws attention.

In the heart, violet takes over the scent. Its aroma is green, rough and tart at the same time. Unquestionably masculine. Cool, yet warm. This warmth, however comes also from other notes as jasmine, clove and nutmeg were used to generate it too. The last one gives the composition additional spicy character. All this has been combined around soft and creamy sandalwood.

In the base, is a almost petrol-like leather accord which is accompanied by vetiver, styrax and mastic, which is a natural resin obtained from mastic tree. Fahrenheit's finish is therefore both balsamic and dry.

I bought a 1.7 oz. bottle 3 days ago and have been mesmerized by it's magic. I just ordered the 3.4 oz. bottle. Out of my 70+ bottle fragrance collection I can confidently say already that FAHRENHEIT is now my favorite of them all. I am simply blown away. This is THE best male fragrance I have ever experienced in my life! Why the hell didn't I try this years ago??? I have been searching and searching for that "ONE" fragrance for years. THIS IS IT!!!

Love at first sniff?

Fahrenheit was my first fragrance purchased in about 1997, when it was already out of date. But ever since my first smell of it in the late 80's at the mall, I was mesmerized by it.

I went through jugs of this in the past - I think at one point there was a 150ml spray? By the time I actually bought it, it was $20 at Shoppers Drug Mart. I remember it being *the* smell of gay night clubs.

I now have a hard time picking out notes. It's always been floral to me - I didn't know it was violets until later in life. But now all I can smell is "Fahrenheit".

I very rarely this anymore. But it will always be my "first".

2000 version... It's been years since I've smelled this. I immediately remember its charms. I owned a miniature years ago and I loved it then - I love it now. At least, this version; Is it still as good?

It's just the perfect blend of notes. The top holds the beauty of violet and hawthorn, and the deep, rich note of mace. For me, it's a time machine of good memories. My then boyfriend used to try to steal a dab, until I hid it. He didn't understand why or how I could wear a "men's" fragrance. I felt it to be unisex. I still do.

It's a kind of Hot floral, or at least warm. Outdoorsy but, not of woods. It's a field of aromas. A dusty aromatic. Hints of green leaves later, in the heart. Touches of a fougere style. Never heavy. Goes along smoothly. Well-blended throughout its wear.

Fern-like beauty in the base. Other notes are undiscernible except a bit of styrax and leather. Those notes are a bit more pronounced. It lasts and lasts. Magnificent!

Damn this is good. I'm challenged to add something useful to the dialogue because we've got some really, really good analytical reviews below (especially from Zealot Crusader, as usual). I'll try to give my take as a new hobbyist on the current formulation and some of my emotional responses to it.

First of all: I love me some violet leaf. I opened my box of Fahrenheit with great anticipation because I'd read of the famed barrel note and was keen to have it give me a rowdy elbow to the nose.

I was somewhat surprised that my first impression of Fahrenheit was the cucumbery aspect of violet leaf, which bloomed into something metallic/floral and then went to full on diesel blast (not unlike opening a bag of good Charlie in my more wayward days). Not exactly what I expected, but dear Jeebus do I love it - the tiny little nuances within those big, bombastic accords are where the true artistry of Fahrenheit really comes out.

If I'm honest, I don't get many individual notes, but as Mister Surgery has eloquently said, I don't think that's the point of this.

The opening, to me, kicks off like someone using a steel muddler to make a Hendricks and cucumber martini in a workshop. As you hang around and sip the drink (probably poured into a reds plastic cup for irony), the smell of their leather jacket and its grass stains drift through your awareness. This is a good day of drinks, friendship, talking shit and working on cars bottled for your consumption.

Hendricks, for those unfamiliar with it, is a scottish gin composed with only juniper, rosewater and cucumber in the mash bill. Fahrenheit actually reminds me a lot of one of my friends who's a gin nut... he studied mechancial engineering whilst working as a motor mechanic, so the picture being created by the perfumers literally conjures a character straight to my mind.

That's probably what contributes to the picture I have of Fahrenheit being intelligent and having real depth to go along with its brashness and roguishness. I think a good part of that impression is the genius of the construction as much as it is my emotional impression, but there's no doubt that for me this isn't a like, it's a definite love.

Projection and performance are wonderful and I can attest that the current iteration is excellent. I'm now intrigued to sample vintages to see what a more profound barrel note feels like, but I doubt I'll enjoy this version any less. Emphatic thumbs up.

Reminds me of my high school auto mechanics class and leather jackets. Took a long while my nose to detect the florals, but eventually they peeked out. So different and so out of the box for me. Doesn't work for me to wear personally but I love this scent on others.

I really do not get this “it smells like gasoline” thing. Or leather. Really? Is the current 2019 formulation of it that bad? I have a vintage bottle. One that I purchased myself in December of 1991, at the Emporium department store in San Francisco. It's still half full. It doesn't smell like ANY of these things. It's a classic, dark, woodsy masculine fragrance. But gasoline? No, not AT ALL.

I associated Fahrenheit with notes of rich black pepper and violets, followed by mown grass. Now, though the violets are still present, there is a haze of leather, sharp-smelling spices, and mustiness, that is volatile and not entirely enjoyable, but lends a certain radiance to things. Memory can be unreliable, and perhaps it was senseless trying to recapture something in the past. My old flame, I saw you only a few times in my life, and what I thought was there may have been imaginary.

Fahrenheit is a true example of a fragrance being more than the sum of its parts. I don't smell each component individually (I can if I try, but that's NOT the point of Fahrenheit); I smell three distinct "scents," each of which I will describe below.

First, as Fahrenheit is renowned for, the opening smells like diesel fuel. As a car nut, and as someone who used to race and who still works on cars in my spare time, I can't help but love it.

Second, it smells like leather. Not fine leather like you'd find on Coach gloves or Bottega Venetta leather goods; the kind of leather you smell on engineer boots or a biker jacket. Workingman's leather.

Finally, an almost wet, grassy/vegetal smell. The kind you smell on a dewy sports field on a cool morning.

Mix all of three of those motifs together, and you get Fahrenheit. Nothing more, nothing less. It's pretty straightforward, unambiguous, and impeccably done.

Now, the issue is whether or not you want to smell like that. I can't imagine many women wanting their man to smell like diesel-soaked leather, and although I love the smell of Fahrenheit, from a practical standpoint, it's not a fragrance that I wear very often. I don't want to show up to a business meeting smelling like I just replaced a faulty fuel line, nor would I want to go out to dinner smelling like I just stepped off of the set of "Sons of Anarchy." But that's just me.

Although this is not a fragrance I get much use out of, I love it. How could you not? It's so unique and impeccably done. If you've never smelled it, you owe it to yourself to do so. It's a classic, without any doubt, and although I rarely find myself wearing it, there's no way that I could give Fahrenheit anything less than a thumbs up.

Radically underwhelming. Not offensive, not bad, but was disappointed.

It smells like gas. This is a good thing. It is manly. There is just nothing like it. Unbelievable that it got green lighted. Masterpiece. Benchmark. Thumbs up so hard it hurts.

Nothing to add to previous reviews. Alpha male masterpiece.

Disregard reform criticism. It smells and project amazingly, like the first one I had in the 90s.

One of the first men's fragrances that I had personally bought and enjoyed as a teenager. Fahrenheit is arguably a living legend, having old-school followers and even a new generation of wearers to boot.

Fahrenheit can be summarized as spicy-gasoline-leather, with intensities that differ depending on how vintage a bottle you are spraying from. The heavier gas vibe comes from the older bottles, with an eventual directive by the IFRA not to utilize the notes involved. Even still, I find the recent formulations to do justice and resemble the vintage bottles well enough.

There is an energizing, adventurous vibe to Fahrenheit that feels so right, so daring. Every time I wore it, I felt like I had entered into a realm of macho, bold cologne expression that would draw attention.

This is a means-business type cologne! Even after so many decades, I still find myself turning to Fahrenheit, as well as several of the wonderful flankers that have since come out (i.e. Fahrenheit 32 and Aqua Fahrenheit, most notably). But I will forever respect and treasure Fahrenheit original - whatever the formulation - as one of the first scents to really get me into the world of smelling and collecting prestige men's colognes as a whole.

Ah yes :) put on that leather jacket, nice leather shoes or work boots (which ever suits your style as a man), go take a walk through the leaves in the all or a stroke through those orange, yellow, brown and red woods and set up a camp fire. Don't be ashamed to chop the wood yourself, either. Oh, yeah, and make sure it's a beautiful night out, also. Moon, stars, maybe a few clouds. Cologne or not, everyone can agree that it would be a perfect night. Imagine feeling that feeling of a night like that every time you smell a scent? Well, here you go. It's a mature scent, but it is possible to pull it off for younger guys but you'll need to dress maturely (harder than it sound). Ya can't sport a suit With this so you'll need less but more. Unless you tackle the classic "bad boy greaser" look which would be great with this also. This is one of those fragrances that challenges your ability to be a man in a fashionable sense. Are you a construction worker or an outdoorsman? This is for you (although I wouldn't wear them during those activities). Just a guy who loves being out in the open or just love the cool weather and the feel of a cold day out in nature or anywhere on earth and sport a good leather jacket? Grab yourself a bottle of this stuff. I don't wear it often as I've had a bottle for the past 3 years but never wore it except one time. I was a Marine so there weren't many situations where I wasn't in the field for training and wouldn't have smoked people out with the sheer projection of this big guy. But out of the field, if I was ever in nature and didn't opt for other bottles due to situations, I would've grabbed this (I have other fragrances that suited those situations). Now I'm settled down ano am looking forward to using this officially at some point this fall and winter

I used to also have the parfume or perfume version (not sure what it's called). But it was even better. Be sure to look it up and give both bottles a shot but I prefer the parfume version for an every day wear if that's your thing