Experimentum Crucis
Etat Libre d'Orange (2019)

Overall

Experimentum Crucis by Etat Libre d'Orange

About Experimentum Crucis by Etat Libre d'Orange

Etat Libre d'Orange

Legend has it that an apple from a tree fell on Newton’s head – and thus, the theory of universal gravitation was born. But then let’s imagine a different scene – Newton, asleep under a rose bush. And instead of an apple, a flower falls, an enormous rose, a fully scented, fleshy rose. Would he have felt it? Would he have plunged his face into the heart of the flower? And what would this mean for his theory?

Reviews of Experimentum Crucis by Etat Libre d'Orange

There are 4 reviews of Experimentum Crucis by Etat Libre d'Orange.

At first I get fresh apple for 5 seconds or so, and then it goes to a sweaty rose, a bit similar to one in Juliette Has A Gun's Lady Vengeance and Mad Madame, but much much much fainter. I like it, but I like JHAG scents more because I smelled them first. Too bad the scent is so faint to my nose I can hardly smell it at all. I respray it and still cannot smell it after a minute again. It might be my nose and not the perfume though. After several hours of nothing I start smelling it again when I dig my nose into my wrist. Smells like a bit softer and less dusty and weakened Agent Provocateur then. I like it, but thank you, I'll take Agent Provocateur over this any day - especially considering the price.

Loved the tipsy-dipsy opening, with beautiful bright, sweet tones pierced with a sharp-as-razor note of cumin – this is essence of cumin: dry, pungent but not sweaty or dirty. The opening effulgence of light, watery, fruity rose notes mingling with an equally sun-dappled and non-cloying honey effect is genius. It would have been easy to have done this kind of pairing with oriental sturm und drang, instead we get a sparkling realization of the colour-as-light theme intended.
Experimentum is like being under a fantasy waterfall, each droplet sparkling in the sun and bursting with fragrance. There are nods to oud-y Middle Eastern roses here, and to woody patchoulied roses in the niche fashion, but the difference is in the dancing quality of the expression, a firefly delight far removed from ponderousness. These are old ideas (particularly the rose-cumin juxtaposition) but appearing in novel raiment.
Such exciting surface movement cannot be maintained for long and the drydown is a somewhat more traditional woody rose, but even here the cool, dewy quality of the rose impression makes it just that little bit different.

It reminds me of a less sparkly Serge Lutens Sa Majesté la Rose . The patchouli makes it a little dirtier and almost gives this one oud vibes. It's a nice perfume, but not groundbreaking. The opening is very different from Sa Majeste la Rose, but the middle and end makes it harder to distinguish.

The apple note is up-front! A juicy green and tart apple, like Granny Smith. A pretty scent, charming and unisex. Florals and a hint of rose.

Add your review of Experimentum Crucis