Exit the King
Etat Libre d'Orange (2020)

Overall

About Exit the King by Etat Libre d'Orange

Where to buy Exit the King

Reviews of Exit the King by Etat Libre d'Orange

There are 2 reviews of Exit the King by Etat Libre d'Orange.

The pepper/jasmine/muguet/"soap foam accord" combo smells vaguely vegetal and aquatic: seaweed? Not exactly, but borderline. So, the king of a sand castle, as befits a perfume "inspired by the fall of patriarchal power."

The PR hyperbole says it's "resolutely chypre," but since there's no bergamot, labdanum, or oakmoss, "I do not think that means what you think it means." (The same comment applies to "the fall of patriarchal power," unless this is perfume that hasn't happened yet.) Buried beneath is a base of post-IFRA tree moss alongside fairly indistinct patchouli, an unconvincing sandalwood accord, and Orcanox brand ambroxide.

Mild, and mildly pleasant, but not something I'd really rock as, per the title, Elvis has left the building.
Jun 12, 2021

Imagine any stereotypical modern mass-market masculine scent - the topnotes that inevitably smell like artificial grape drink, the jumbled mess of flowers and herbs in the heart, and the base that claims to be a modern chypre or complex mix of woods, but somehow always smells like chlorine.

Now, imagine taking the time and skill to actually craft the quality perfume that these monstrosities pretend to be, where the flowers and herbs are noticeable and smell good, and the base is actually what's advertised. That's what Exit The King smells like to me.

As a perfume nerd, I quite love this as an idea. This is what every unremarkable Hugo Boss and Kenneth Cole discounter masculine claims to be but isn't, like an Axe body spray carefully recreated with care and precision.

But then, stepping back from the grand and playful idea, I'm just walking around smelling like every men's "bleu" cologne and I'm the only one who's in on the joke. It's like hiring a haute chef to recreate a McDonalds chicken McNugget. He'd probably use real chicken instead of McDonalds' infamous pink slime, and use better breading and more complex spices, but you'd still end up with a chicken nugget.

So I'm torn. I think this is really witty and clever - if I were a perfumer, I'm sure I'd try to make something like this, just for fun and as a thought experiment. But I wouldn't want to buy this or wear it regularly, so I just can't bring myself to rate this higher than a neutral.
Jun 9, 2021