Enigma pour Homme Cologne

Overall

About Enigma pour Homme Cologne by Roja Dove

Roja Dove

Reviews of Enigma pour Homme Cologne by Roja Dove

There are 5 reviews of Enigma pour Homme Cologne by Roja Dove.

It took me a few wearings to get my head around the hype, once I'd started to relax into the fragrance it became quite addictive.. some days I just sniff the cap of a fragrance for a little fix, I do it regularly with this one, there's something about it that gets me smiling, firstly it opens extremely refreshing and sparkly with the cola vibe in full swing , floral notes accompany the opening with a stand out Jasmine that feels high quality, I'm not a huge fan of Jasmine but I enjoy it here, then there are hints of boozy wood and tobbaco to work in tandem with the sparkling cola, with touches of warm vanilla and benzoin to carry things through into the dry down, projection is good for the first hour and then it becomes closer to my skin for a further 7 or so hours, it seems to come alive with body heat and movement, quiet a mysterious fragrance that feels new and complexed, I could imagine this smelling fantastic on a British summer evening.
Jan 1, 2021

Nuclear Longevity! 12 hours later, after a full day of work, this stuff is still leaving quite a trail! Incredible!

However, this is definitely not masculine, and unisex may be a stretch. I felt like I was wearing a feminine powerhouse from the '80s.

This stuff wears thick, I wouldn't touch it above 80 degrees, especially with humidity.

I find it quite linear. Just when I think it's about to start getting sweet, it goes back to "perfumey".

After 13 hours of wear on one spray, and a scrubby shower, I thought I was clear of it. But I think it's interfering with my SOTN.... Maybe after a night's sleep, and another shower, maybe, I'll finally have all traces of this off of my body...

Try before you buy, but if this is your bag, you'll definitely get your money's worth!
Oct 17, 2020

I was already rather fond of the EDP so there was no doubting that I was going to enjoy this one. The usual cola, dirty vanilla & cognac are all here. It's the opening that offers the main difference. The initial citrus blast lasts longer.

Here's the problem....longevity on my skin is really poor. Others are saying they get up to 10 hours?? I'm jealous. I can detect the fragrance for around an hour with soft projection and then maybe another hour as a skin scent. After that it's more or less gone.

Jan 30, 2020

I don't know about the Parfum because I never tried it, but I've really been enjoying Creation-E Parfum Cologne. To begin with, it's plenty potent: I get very good projection for the first 3 or 4 hours before it gets closer to skin but then it still holds on for another three or four, not so much projecting but still with a solid presence that continues to waft off and is easily detectable up close. So overall I'd say it's longevity is about 8 to 10!hours. Equally important, it smells great–complex, interesting, but also pleasant and alluring. The opening threw me off a little the first couple of times around, as it's surprisingly bitter, comprised of floral notes that have this bitter/soapy smell paired with the spices (mainly ginger and nutmeg). But the bitterness works well here (much more so than in another fragrance I recently experienced, Parfums de Marly's Kalan), as it gives the fragrance a very clean, traditional impression in the manner of oakmoss (even though it's not actually oakmoss) which establishes some contrast next to the spices. It also doesn't over-stay it's welcome. Very gradually and smoothly, the bitter-clean aspect recedes and disappears as a slightly resinous vanilla-benzoin note takes shape, giving Enigma it's “Coca-Cola” impression when working together with the ginger. At Enigma's core, there's a solid tobacco note, kind of a middle of the road, aromatic variety which establishes a firm backbone without really ever dominating the scent itself. The tobacco is certainly there, and it's important to the whole, but its role is more in the way of a note you'd notice a lot if it was suddenly taken out of the composition than the kind of note you immediately notice and focus on when it's there. What really drives Enigma are the floral notes from the opening, the ginger and nutmeg spices, and the benzoin and vanilla. In the end, these create a smell which is not only complex and somewhat entertaining to watch unfold, but also one that smells great–it's both fresh and spicy, but also sweet and resinous, with the sweetness kept in check and balanced by some bitter notes, and its entirety working to drive that cola accord which is utterly addictive and fun to smell.

This has been one of my favorite discoveries of 2019 (along with Overture). It's a complex, pleasant scent that's easy to wear and pretty versatile in terms of weather and occasion. It's original as well–other than its predecessor, I doubt there's much out there that smells like Creation-E. At least I haven't smelled anything like it. I was skeptical of the new Parfum Colognes, having owned and not been very impressed by Elysium Parfum Cologne, but this gives me hope for the others, in terms of performance and complexity/depth. I should note that I do not get a lot of cognac in this, only hints, which is fine with me. Final rating, an excellent 9.5/10.

Final note: One thing I'd like to point out, and why I gave this one such a high, 9.5 rating, is the fact that I don't like really thick, heavy scents. I prefer scents with some buoyancy, and some degree of a fresh, airy, uplifted quality over those that wear like thick, heavy blankets. Enigma Parfum Cologne has this buoyant kind of quality, just the right amount of it without losing too much, keeping enough complexity and depth and roundness in tact while remaining somewhat light and easy to wear.
Dec 31, 2019

Enigma/Creation-E pour Homme Cologne (2019) is a new alternate eau de parfum version that replaced the outgoing original Enigma/Creation-E pour Homme (2013) formula, which itself was retained in style but bumped up to extrait de parfum concentration (with a very hefty price bump per ml to match). I was never a fan of the original cola/cough syrup over boozy toasted almond and tobacco that was the original version, and this lighter, brighter, more dynamic version doesn't really improve on that. The whole "parfum cologne" range represents something closer to an eau de toilette concentrée take on some of Roja Parfum's more popular masculines, being the new entry level for the exorbitantly high-end brand, although at $300MSRP, these are still far from anything most fragrance hobbyists would consider starter even within the realms of niche perfume. Still, you can get your foot in the door with a Roja Dove perfume retooled for projection and greater transparency like the suprise Elysium pour Homme Cologne (2017) which started it all, so that can only be a good thing.

Enigma/Creation-E pour Homme Cologne starts off much like the original eau de parfum, but with an even-more pronounced cola-type aromachemical opening that really hearkens back to stuff like Yves Saint Laurent M7 (2002); now I wasn't a huge fan of that either, but for people who like it, this might appeal. From there, we get a heliotrope-dominated heart with rose, jasmine, and geranium acting like backup singers, and it's a little too sweet for me already, but does tamp down some in the base. Like all Roja Dove creations, the base has way too many notes to even begin picking them all out, since he tries to copy the Jacques Guerlain blended style, but the opacity is lessened here from what it was in the original Enigma/Creation-E pour Homme. I get a lot of benzoin flavored with ginger and cardamom, over some ambroxan and tonka for that boozy amaretto and tobacco kind of feeling, touched by pepper and patchouli, but that's it. The "parfum cologne" variant of Enigma/Creation-E pour Homme really closes in on gourmand territory, so fans of A*Men by Thierry Mugler (1996) take note. Wear time is eight hours and projection is respectable until the latter half of the scent, where it becomes a proper EdP in sillage.

At the end of the day, I don't hate this, but it is the worst of the range in my opinion and not worth the money. You may feel differently if you loved the original and that's okay, but this feels more like a flanker to it than a retooling at a lower concentration as the name suggests, which itself is derivative of what Chanel and Dior have done with their masculines. Enigma/Creation-E pour Homme Cologne is probably the most modern member of the range next to ELysium pour Homme Cologne, and certainly the most unique, but modern and unique in and of themselves don't sell fragrances to me, especially if what's presented isn't something I find enjoyable. Under threat of sounding like some old vintage perfume curmudgeon, I really do think Roja Dove excells more at and therefore should stick to revisiting the past than trying to push into the future, with this being more proof of that in my eyes. Sample and see for yourself, especially if this kind of thing really is your cup of tea. I can take it or leave it myself. Neutral.
Nov 18, 2019