Encre Noire à l'Extrême

Encre Noire à l'Extrême by Lalique

About Encre Noire à l'Extrême by Lalique

Lalique

The company say:

Richer, sultrier and more powerful than ever, the fragrance’s woody intensity sheds new light on the personality of the Encre Noire man. Virile and sensuous. Refined and demanding. Singular and seductive. Between darkness and light, Encre Noire à l’Extrême redefines masculinity

Where to buy Encre Noire à l'Extrême

Reviews of Encre Noire à l'Extrême by Lalique

There are 34 reviews of Encre Noire à l'Extrême by Lalique.

Vetiver, vetiver, more vetiver, earthy grass vetiver and that's it. If you like earthy powerful vetiver, this if for you. I can't get over the earthiness of this and would have love something lighter to balance this out

I think this is much more interesting and wearable than the original. The original feels quite boring compared to this one. The addition of the benzoin gives it sweetness that the original lacked. The vetiver and incense gives it more depth and some more woodiness.

This smell blew me away. For the price, I would never expect something like this. The only reason I give it a neutral rating is for the performance. I don't know what happened, but this only lasts two hours on my skin. I even tried spraying it on fabric so I could return to the room after a few hours to test the longevity. It just doesn't last. Perhaps the bottle needs to macerate or it has been reformulated. Sadly, I gave the bottle away.

This is a incense vetiver, while Encre Noir Sport is an aquatic vetiver. I don't think the original is difficult to wear, but it feels more simplistic and linear with that musky vetiver note. This one is suitable for the fall and early spring, here in Canada. I enjoy this the most out of the three.

I thought this was so dark and deep at first. Really intense and impactful. Even maybe a little depressing as someone mentioned.

After my fourth wearing I got it. I knew what was coming and I was ready for it. And now it’s a joy. The wood on this is dark, like ebony or mahogany. With Vetiver. I mean, wow. The incense and the patchouli balance it out, but with smoke and earthiness. So even more depth. But not depressing after all. Comforting.

And 10 hours later, after my wrist sprays had mostly worn away with day, the dry down - sandalwood! - from the morning sprays on my chest was miraculous. Captivating. Mesmerizing. Intoxicating. Gorgeous. Perfect.

Winning.

At the crossroads between Gucci Pour Homme I and Encre Noir.

Spicier, airier, and woodier than its predecessor, with the classy "brown" spice feel of Gucci PH I, 'dirtied up' with vetiver. Though, thankfully, this vetiver does not carry the 'B.O.' profile that some rooty/earthy vetiver fragrances can(TDH, I'm looking at you).

I prefer this and EN Sport over the OG, and this is a very economical alternative to fill the GPH I slot.

8.5/10 for me, or more

After literal years of seeing Basenotes call this out as a great example of “affordable niche style” and “goth”, along with comparisons to ELDO Fat Electrician, which I own and enjoy, I blind-bought a full bottle tester of this off a grey market site.

Surprisingly, this was not a disaster! (I am not, in general, a good candidate for blind buys.)

The first spray onto paper was quite appealing, indeed very like Fat Electrician but greener and a bit bonier. Daringly, I almost immediately sprayed some on my arm. The initial blast was really quite green, with a “blackish” quality I enjoyed a lot (and it did actually remind me a bit of the smell of the type of Chinese solid ink you grind on a stone). Sprayed on paper, it made me think of some very particular incense sticks I owned at one point — one of the fairly fancy Japanese kinds (in the box, not burning). Woody, with an underlying dry sweetness.

On skin, it quickly rounded out in a way reminiscent of Fat Electrician in some ways, but not at all the same; there’s an almost floral quality to it (instead of Fat Electrician’s cosy vanilla fluff) over the nice woody base. There’s apparently citrus in here for some people, but either my skin’s not friendly to it or I’m not discerning enough to perceive it. Overall, there’s a nice, subdued energy to it, vibrant and somehow elegant.

It finished with an incredibly tenacious (it survived both a shower and overnight), flagrantly fake, but quite pleasing mellow “sandalwood” accord, reminiscent, to my memory at least, of the end stages of Gucci Rush for Men (which I wore regularly for a few years).

I think I’m going to enjoy this one.

There are many reasons why I should dislike Encre Noire a l'Extreme but the crazy thing is that I love it. It's heavy on the vetiver, and it has some nice citrus notes. The opening is woody, at first I found it a bit depressing but, now I find it to be a comforting opening; being in the woods on an autumn day after some rain. The dry-down is very floral, almost very feminine, it brought to mind old lady's perfume mixed with the scent of sweat. I know my description doesn't sound appealing but it had me repeatedly smelling my arm. In the late dry-down there is a sort of slightly sweet caramel that emerges, very subtle, maybe it is the resin. That sweet resinous scent along with the citrus brought to mind YSL's M7 Oud Absolu. Overall this is a very nicely crafted fragrance and at this price point is great value. The scent trajectory provides for an interesting journey, it is definitely not a mass appeal fragrance and to be honest I cannot think of many occasions where I would go out wearing Encre Noire a l'Extreme, I think this is a scent that I will enjoy wearing for myself at home. It is very refreshing to experience something different and to get away from the usual sweet vanilla and tonka bean scents that seem to dominate mens fragrances these days. Performance wise, Encre Noire a l'Extreme lasts a good 7 hours on my skin, I would say it has moderate projection. Definitely a unique addition to my collection that reminds me that love of fragrance is an interesting hobby.

Show more reviews of Encre Noire à l'Extrême...

Add your review of Encre Noire à l'Extrême