En Avion

Caron
Félicie Bergaud (Vanpouille)

En Avion is a women's perfume launched in 1929 by Caron

Reviews of En Avion by Caron

There are 31 reviews of En Avion by Caron.

En Avion Vintage Parfum

First applied, it reminded me of Vintage Piguet's Visa. Caron's En Avion came first.

Rich, dense floral, neroli, carnation spicyness, a lilt of leather and honeyed lilac...and a nod of animalic touch to set off the florals. Feminine, sexy in the vein of such vintage classics such as My Sin extrait as well. The depth is as rich as the ocean and the world opulent for these times comes to mind.

Modern sensibilities may have trouble with it, but if you are a vintage Caron fan this is lovely.

This was the first Caron I bought: I sprayed several perfumes on my wrist, wandered around Harrods for a bit, and came back to choose this one. Given the negative reviews of Caron reformulations, I didn't expect this to have any leather notes in it, but merely be a floral oriental. How wrong I was! This starts with balsamic notes floating around soft leather, then graduates to soft florals at the top. (or perhaps the other way round; in any case, there's a whole lot of rich oriental leather going on). More than anything, this scent makes me think 'rich and intellectual': a woman travelling through Europe in the winter during the 1930s, perhaps on the Orient Express, and perhaps reading Tolstoy.

This review is for the current extrait, which is a very pretty, respectable floral fragrance. I like En Avion, but was surprised to find how much it resembles its sibling, Tabac Blond: they are almost identical to my nose, except that En Avion is topped off by a green note that smells like a snapped branch. I don't get much leather punctuating this nicely crafted, polite floral bouquet (the original En Avion packed a real punch in that respect, mingled with plenty of spice). My neutral rating is not due to a comparison with En Avion's former self, though, but to its closeasthis similarity to Tabac Blond and its brief longevity, only a couple of hours on my skin. For all its grace, I find En Avion a bit melancholy in its lack of zest - more like a grounded aviatrix spinning tales of the air, than flying with her in the cockpit.

One of the few Caron perfumes that I really don't like. I can identify very few ingredients in this perfume, but on my skin it's quite a heavy floral, with a subtle spice background. It reminds me of Jean Patou's Cocktail, but with a sandalwood note. Just not my type of perfume.

Initially all I am able to experience is a light sweet neroli floating over a harsh carnation/clove note - nothing else, although other reviewers have detected such notes as lilac, violet, anise, rose, amber and musk.

Caron only lists four ingredients: neroli, jasmine, opoponax, and something called "spicy orange accord."

The neroli/carnation combo does settle down to a balanced chypre after a few minutes, and as such, it is beguiling. I imagine this on a cold neck, having just returned from a brisk winter's walk in the park, the increasing warmth of being indoors, creating a Jicky-like aura.

Quite lovely.

Goodness, talk about jetting straight into the clouds. This perfume has plenty of thrust, catapulting the wearer into a thick, sweet fog of powders, soap, unctuous skin creams and brushed metal. It's easy to overdose on, but draws me magnetically to its ample bosom of excess.
The impression of its opening burst is of accumulation – like being in the presence of someone who wears the same strong perfume day in day out, so that it has impregnated their jacket in layers of differing age. Seekers of the fresh and clean proceed elsewhere; this perfume was created in the 1920s and despite reformulations smells like something from a distant time.
Of the perfume itself it seems almost pointless to single out notes, so overwhelming is its sweetness at the start. (Sanchez's nose seems to be completely off when it alights on a ‘lemony rose'.) As it settles, the clovey spike of carnation emerges from the mix, subtly herbal and green at first, until a proper clove comes into view. But all the while rich florals swirl and eddy over a dry, powdery base: there are glimpses of honeyed lilac, heady orange blossom, syrupy rose, all engaged in a furious dance of the molecules with every movement of the wearer. Transporting.
PS: After a couple of hours En Avion, while continuing to smell divine, does subside in volume (as also brightening considerably and returning to soapy abstraction), so don't let my emphasis on its power put you off trying it.

Show more reviews of En Avion...

Add your review of En Avion