Elisabethan Rose

Overall

About Elisabethan Rose by Penhaligon's

Penhaligon's

Reviews of Elisabethan Rose by Penhaligon's

There are 12 reviews of Elisabethan Rose by Penhaligon's.

Strong, velvety rose. Closest perfume to a true rose scent I've encountered in a while. There is just the lightest touch of hazelnut in the opening and a bit of lily to balance out the rose oil and rose absolute. Warms down after some time with a slightly musky base.

Elisabethan Rose packs a punch and best to go light handed when applying or spraying. Silage on this is powerful and I could still smell this on my skin the next morning when I woke up. This is also another Penhaligon's perfume where you will experience different notes when worn on the skin vice trying it out on paper, I suggest you wear it for a few hours before judging. My initial impressions were not favorable and due to my over application of the perfume at first and my eyes did water because of the sheer potency. But I gave it another chance on another day, recalling the moxie Elisabethan Rose contained and applied far far less. The result was a very pleasing, and yet still hardy rose perfume.
Dec 30, 2019

It's surprising to read reviews about the sourness in this because I was actually surprised that this rose doesn't have the acidity I dislike in most roses. It's a soft but strong rose with powder and something that makes me think of my skin smell under the sun. Very good.
Jun 10, 2019

I brazenly prized open the plastic box protecting this at Tk Maxx the other day, risking life and limb in front of one seriously pissed-off TK Maxx lady to see what exactly justified the princely sum of €69.99 when all the other perfumes were going for €40 or less, including some of the Penhaligon ones. Boy was the look on that lady's face sour.

Not as sour, however, as Elisabethan Rose.

The one good thing I can say about the rose in this is that it does not disappoint you by turning sour later on in the development, because this one goes on sour, stays sour, and ends sour. It is at least consistent.

There are not enough descriptors in the world to convey how bad I find this to be. It's soapy, fusty and very tea-rose-ish in the way that those straight-up rose scents from Yardley and The Perfumer's Workshop are. Very old-fashioned and chokingly powdery. My personal vision of hell includes being chained to the bed, sprayed dripping wet in this, and being made to watch golf for hours on end.
Jan 13, 2016

I love a rose fragrance I like the fact that this has a fairly clean rose smell, uninterrupted by the other ingredients. My only complaint is that this fragrance does not last very long on my skin.
Jul 21, 2015

Very feminine scent with a nice soft base note. Light and rosy smelling as you might expect. Reminds me of the small kitchen in my childhood home; I would cut my mother's tea roses and put them in a little round vase and it made the kitchen smell so good. Good scent for spring and summer, I think.
Apr 18, 2012

This was the very first fragrance I tried from the range (apart from the lily of the valley my mother had, cliched I know) and still holds a special place. I still remember the next day as I went to put on my overcoat that lovely, subtle rosy aroma unexpectedly wafted into my nose. Nowadays however it seems that unless I do smell it without realising it smells very aldehyde-like and sharp, somewhat blocking the rose. It is very fresh and clean, not at all heavy or too heady, just a nice, light watercolour of roses, with a classic, English feel
Nov 19, 2009

Show more reviews of Elisabethan Rose...

Add your review of Elisabethan Rose