This classic citrus fragrance by Dior is a favourite of many. Packaged in a very classy bottle and a classy box to match. A more "Extreme" version is available (in black packaging) called 'Eau Sauvage Extreme'. Other Dior fragrances for men include Fahrenheit and most recently, Dune for Men.

Eau Sauvage fragrance notes

• Base

• vetiver, Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Amber, Musk

Where to buy

Latest Reviews of Eau Sauvage

A comfortable and sophisticated classic.

Being that I have never worn a vintage version of Eau Sauvage, I can’t comment on what is missing, but only on what is present.

Eau Sauvage opens with a blast of citrus ranging from lemon to bitter orange, interspersed with cumin and rosemary. The spices stop the citrus becoming generic, and the balance between the components suggests at the sophistication to come.

After about fifteen minutes I get an elegant combination of basil, carnation, and iris, which joins with the citrus and spice and lasts for at least eight hours on my skin.

The base is a combination of soft sandalwood, soapy vetiver, and a little bit of amber and moss.

Wearing Eau Sauvage makes me want to play George Benson tunes on my Nashville telecaster.

Eau Sauvage is probably a bit too elegant for sitting on the couch playing a guitar in jeans and a T-shirt, but somehow it works.

Don’t wait as long as I did to get yourself a bottle.
29th August 2022
An excellent all time classic. Roudnitska raised the bar for masculine scents with this superb fresh and manly creation. Very fresh and very complex in the vintage formula and still a lovely citrus scent in today's slightly attentuated version. You must try if you haven't.
16th August 2021

Scents are to be weared. This is a statement of the obvious, not so if you take in mind scents can wear the wearer: this happens when the scent is invasive (i.e. mounstrous sillage). This is not the case of Eau Sauvage: it shares many points in common with classic EdCs, a citric base, some herbs, Hedione, a synthetic molecule that provides jasmine - like accords and oakmoss to the extent allowed by regulatory offices.

Expect from it all the beauty of traditional Eau De Colognes plus some more - not notes, I mean, discretion, as demanded by good taste. You might as well contrast it with today's Sauvage to check how things changed in fifty years. Yes, the sense of elegance either changed or dissapeared.
15th August 2021
Always liked this one so I picked up another bottle aftee I couldn't locate a replacement for my Dior Homme Cologne. Still great, but there was something extra or new I'd never noticed before. Upon initial spray there was a note that immediately reminded me of another Dior favorite of mine, Fahrenheit. It faded fast so either I'd never noticed it before or it's part of a more recent formulation. Wish it had lingered longer and I'm certain it would be no mystery to better noses, but the renewed enjoyment of this classic is more than enough.

For those not content with Eau Sauvage's perceived longevity, try a spray on the neck and one on each wrist followed up by the same a few minutes after the first have thoroughly dried. Mine is very dry skin, even in humid central Florida, but this method has allowed me to enjoy many a fragrance I otherwise felt had questionable “performance”. Undeniably good juice and worth the attention.
19th February 2021
My favourite fragrance of all time.

The addition of a ‘dirty' jasmine and herbs to a sparkling lemon top creates a real ‘thirst quenching' effect that the citrus itself could never achieve. I liken it to the effect of a good cup of English Breakfast Tea - it's not a cold, sparkling beverage but it has such a balance of invigoration and depth that when done properly will quench your thirst like nothing else.

Eau Sauvage is a timeless, intimate, ‘gentlemanly' and versatile fragrance. A real joy to wear.
7th September 2020
The opening is not-too-sweet lemons with something kinda musty or animalic. It also has a slight herbal greeness. The animalic jasmine and patch combo kick in next, giving it that mature, almost feminine quality that many older scents have to my nose. It's not heavy it all. Feels versatile and could be quite effective in a warmer climate.

I'll comment on performance but my sample didn't come with any indication of what year it was produced, so I assume it's fairly recent and probably what's available in stock at retail. Projection was just okay throughout but longevity was pretty good, lasting 8 hours.
25th August 2020
Now unrecognisable as the classic I remember from the 1970s. Weak with poor sillage and longevity and on me it smells like an old-fashioned tin of lemon scented wax polish. Not an unpleasant scent if you want to smell (faintly) like the furniture.
This review is of the EDT.
24th June 2020
What can you say about a classic like Eau Sauvage that hasn't already been said?

So I'll keep it brief: it's an impeccably made, perfectly balanced, anywhere-anytime creation with a gorgeous lemon-citrus opening and an herbal heart. It gets as close to "timelessness" as fragrances can get.
20th April 2020
I had a revelation last summer (in June-July 2019), when I stayed for one month in an airb&b rental apartment located in a hilly residential area near Porta Romana of Firenze, Italy. To my utter astonishment and great delight, every morning, when I climbed upstairs from the bedrooms to the living room / kitchen area, I was invariably greeted by a natural fragrance wafting through the wide-open windows from the villa's private garden, that was identical to Eau Sauvage. Voila, now we know it: Monsieur Roudniska must have spent some time during summer in the Tuscan hills near Firenze and the fragrance that envelops them in June-July provided the inspiration for his iconic creation without equal!
13th April 2020
I've had bottles of Eau Sauvage - both the current version and the vintage, and they are both wonderful. I do notice the lack of oakmoss in the current version, but it's not that different. This perfume was never an oakmoss bomb that had to suffer an unfortunate reformulation. In all its versions, I find it an incredibly refined fresh/green fragrance, with hints of lemon, lime, basil, hints of florals and faint whispers of woody-mossy notes all culminating into an accord of breathtaking beauty and immaculate sophistication. It is notoriously weak, especially faint rather than short-lived (it does last a few hours as a skin scent with a liberal application), but this is a perfume where it's all about quality over quantity.

29th March 2020
It smells like classical cologne but it's got a very nice twist of musk that makes it deeper. Very good, and it could be considered as unisex.
21st February 2020
My all time favorite. My grandfather, who was born in Italy and came here later on, wore this every day. He said it reminded him of his basil in the garden he kept. To this day, I can still smell it on his old clothes we keep, and still have one of his old bottles he never finished.

Yes, silage is low and it does not last that long, but I find it lasts longer when sprayed on clothes in warmer weather. There is a slight differnce in the vintage vs. the new re-formulation. I find the vintage to be just a little more "heavy", and the newer lighter.
29th January 2020