Eau Noire Cologne

Overall

About Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

Christian Dior
Hedi Slimane

Part of an exclusive collection of three scents [Eau Noire, Cologne Blanche and Bois D'Argent], designed by Hedi Slimane which are exclusive to Dior Homme outlets.

Reviews of Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

There are 73 reviews of Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior.

If you've ever smelled Immortelle you'll know what a beautiful smell it is: sweet, rich and roasted like fenugreek.
Eau Noire is basically Helichrysum opposed by lavenders - possibly oil and absolute - and there are herbs, licorice and violets, and other nuances to round it out.
This is posed on a base of amber, but most of these things are just modifiers of the basic outline.
It's simple but beautiful.
If, like me, you thought Sables was the reference Helichrysum, you haven't tried Kurkdjian's garrigue fantasy, Eau Noire.
Apr 9, 2021

I don't much care for gourmands and I don't at all like the everlasting maple syrup character of over-loaded immortelle (vis a vis Sables). That said, Eau Noire comes real close to this point of no return and simply stops. I can't explain it, but the result, the space it occupies, its vibe... is unique, kind of dark, something I'd expect to be radiating off my favored tragically hip musicians & artists, and thereby fit for any of us average superstars as well.

I associate Eau Noire with a holiday nut roll; specifically, the dark filling which (in my family) usually means some dark nougatty combination of walnut, molasses, praline, etc. But Eau Noire's not just nut roll filling... there's dark spice, dark bitter chocolate, dark over-roasted ground coffee bean, and a little anise too. Come to think of it, I'd say it's a much more refined cousin to MPG Eau de Isles of sorts.

Tempered immortelle in a dark gourmand. I like.
Mar 6, 2019

Aromatic, spicy-sweet fragrance with a great green color, Eau Noire Cologne has some wonderful moments with licorice, lavender and coffee notes being the most pronounced.

There isn't any curry in this one per se, but I can see how some of the fragrance notes could create such a composite experience within Eau Noire. Curry proper is turmeric, chili powder, coriander, cumin, ginger and pepper; white thyme, sage, lavender, immortelle (fenugreek-like, not listed here), saffron (also not listed here), licorice, vanilla, cedarwood, leather and violet - in varying proportions - can easily result in a perceived curry-like finish that mimics the real ingredients listed above.

I personally don't smell it to the degree that some do. What I experience overall is warm spiciness, with a tobacco-like touch, lovely herbal lavender with licorice swirling about along with vanilla wrapped in a tasteful bit of leather. Classy!

Great scent that must be smelled to be truly understood.
Oct 23, 2018

A desperate shame for this to be discontinued. A blast of lavender and herbs (clary sage), the burnt sugar of immortelle, and dark woods. Please Dior, reconsider this and bring it back. Pretty please. EDIT 30 June: Have just today acquired a 250ml bottle of this at usual retail price - it will be a very treasured possession.
Jun 30, 2017

Being number 8 in a series of 16 reviews on critically acclaimed and noteworthy scents.

Lavender, liquorice and coffee - Yohji Homme anyone? In fact, following the Basenotes member who starts off with his "bottom line up front" or similar - a good idea that - we might say something like "Yohji Homme as put together by the people who brought you Eucris". But any comparison or analogy I can think of still stops short of characterising this wonderful scent.

What I like about EN is that it amplifies the parts of Yohji that I like and puts them front and centre. The result is a wonderfully three-dimensional, characterful scent that is always present but never in an overpowering or unwelcome way. It does not become cloying but retains the element of stark and natural greenness that we associate with a cologne.

It starts for me not with lavender but with anise or liquorice - big amounts of it, like the side-effect of being in a room at Willy Wonka's factory. In due course the lavender / coffee join in. The drydown brings in vanilla, and the burnt sugar effect of the immortelle. It's sweet, but not too much so; gourmand, without being "foody"; green, without being introspective. Cedar joins the party at the very end.

Oh, it's so clever. EN fits together like a jigsaw. It's simply impossible to be completely sure which of the parts is providing the scent at any given stage of development. So many of the accords are characteristic of so many of the ingredients (I should add, there are many good reviews on-line that do a good job of providing a full list of components). Longevity is fantastic and sillage very good.

And just when I am feeling about for my wallet - it goes and gets itself discontinued. Better start making a few calls to Selfridges in the hope that there are some leftovers out the back.

Right up my street. Terrific stuff. If you get the chance - give it a go.
Sep 24, 2016

Fantastic gourmand. I think it smells like gram crackers with some herbs. Price is the only thing keeping me from owning a bottle.
Jun 28, 2016

Show more reviews of Eau Noire Cologne...

Add your review of Eau Noire Cologne