Eau du Sud

Overall

About Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

Where to buy Eau du Sud

Reviews of Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

Like 4711 (Echt) Kölnisch Wasser but with added lemon verbena. Not bad but not my thing. I'll have to give it a negative rating because coming up with another iteration of the OG EdC in '95 is not partcularly groundbreaking. However, if you're really into the (dated) stuff, you might really like this.
Jul 4, 2021

This is a very interesting and to my nose pleasant take on an eau de cologne. I appreciate the idea as noted in reviews here that this is a lighter take on Pour Monsieur, and that is clearly a reference point. However, given the dry, sour, and grapefruit notes, I'm a little surprised not to see Terre d'Hermes referenced as well. You could just as easily say this is a cologne version of Terre as of PM.

EdS opens with dry citrus, definite grapefruit and a hint of that sour minerality that in Terre would be described as gunpowder. Florals come in quite quickly. The last act is one of a touch of violet, a touch of woods, and a fleeting appearance from oakmoss. I would say that this is more a masculine than not.

For my money, this is superior to the other Goutal eaux, although I would rank it below Villoresi's Theseus in terms of priorities for my own wardrobe.
May 21, 2021

This has changed over the years. I remember it once as a basil-infused Eau d'Hadrien, with a slug of oakmoss.

The latest packaging (and I assume formulation) adds an odd cumin note to the top, which eventually dries down to something oddly like Diorella. It's like a long-forgotten formula that Roudknitka had burried away.

I have to say that I liked it before, but now it's love.
Mar 27, 2021

Rural southern France. The scent of salty, sun-kissed skin and citrus and herbs floating on the breeze. Nice.
Sep 7, 2020

very similar imo to acqua di parma pura.
i really enjoyed the initial citrus freshness and soda water fizziness but unfortunately it fades quickly, leading to a green woody peppery long lasting dry down.
Dec 11, 2018

This one is odd, to my nose. The citrus is bright. But, some note of basil or mint muddles the citrus, making it too sour and bitter. It is an almost chemical cleanser smell. Burned black peppercorns. This fragrance is aromatic in a manly way, for sure.

Lemon Verbena begins to soften the blow of all the bitterness. It relaxes. Sharp vetiver appears. All the oddness goes away enough for it to become wearable. Vetiver cranks up louder - oakmoss lumbers in.
Nov 10, 2018

Show more reviews of Eau du Sud...

Add your review of Eau du Sud