Eau de Givenchy (2018 version)
Givenchy (2018)

Overall

About Eau de Givenchy (2018 version) by Givenchy

Givenchy

Reviews of Eau de Givenchy (2018 version) by Givenchy

There are 2 reviews of Eau de Givenchy (2018 version) by Givenchy.

Long time lurker here. Lover of vintage Citrus Aromatics, Eau de Colognes, etc. I own and love Vintage bottles of the following: Eau Sauvage, Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale, Eau de Cologne Imperiale Extra Dry, Guerlain Eau de Coq, Eau de Rochas (1970), Monsieur de Givenchy, YSL Pour Homme, LaCoste Original, O de Lancome, Hermes Eau de Cologne (Eau d'Orange Verte's predecessor), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Roger & Gallet Extra Vielle among others. That gives you an idea of where my wheelhouse lies. And while I might lack the talent to articulate various notes, I can tell when I'm smelling something extraordinary. This isn't it.

I was hoping to find something new. Perhaps a classier 4711. Something else perhaps to chase away the really high heat besides Eau de Cologne Imperiale But IMO, this is just awful. It's the kind of fragrance they add to fabric softener. Just chemical Ugh ! So depresssing.

I'm resolved from now on to stick to Vintage only. I don't understand how the chemical muck that goes things like this can be deemed less irritating than the list of banned ingredients. And while I'm at it, let me say Habit Rouge L'eau was another disaster that was planets aways from my vintage Eau de Cologne Habit Rouge. Ersatz crap.
Jun 15, 2021

The 2018 version of Eau de Givenchy is a quite straightforward eau de cologne on my skin, with a slightly more pronounced feminine touch of tender floral and cottony musk.

The first 3 hours of Eau de Givenchy is dominated by the refreshingly bitter green petit grain and its more floral cousin, the verdant neroli. The orange blossom provides a suave, faintly indolic backdrop, while the various citrus fruits only briefly offer a few glimpses at the very first moment. With Eau de Givenchy focusing more on the petit grain-neroli-orange blossom trio instead of sparkling citrus fruits or Mediterranean aromatic herbs, the fragrance leans more traditionally feminine to my nose.

Its focus on neroli and its cousins also reminds me of Tom Ford Neroli Portofino and Frederic Malle Cologne Indélébile. However, while they're interchangeable to a certain extent, Eau de Givenchy differs more significantly in the dry down, with its more substantial, cotton-y yet slightly metallic musk adding more heft and rendering it more opaque comparing to the sharper, leaner, soapier and somewhat more "robotic" Neroli Portofino, or the more refined and traditional Cologne Indélébile. Although I haven't yet compared them side by side, the prominently musky dry down of Eau de Givenchy is reminiscent of that of Byredo Blanche's to my nose, more than other eau de cologne-type of fragrances.

The sillage of Eau de Givenchy is moderate to soft, while the longevity is at least 8 hours on me.

As I haven't yet had the opportunity to smell the original Eau de Givenchy, I don't have any direct comparison to offer. But there's no doubt that this brand new version of Eau de Givenchy smells like a product conceived to fit and made in our modern era, rather than one trying to convey vintage characteristics.

Without prior knowledge of the original version, I find this 2018's Eau de Givenchy an adequate eau de cologne-style fragrance, centred around green neroli and vaporous, clean white musk, and marginally more feminine than most colognes. Although arguably less polished and less nuanced than many neroli-white musk fragrances put out by well-known niche brands, the price and the accessibility of Eau de Givenchy nevertheless put it at a relative advantage. I'd recommend it as a gateway clean neroli-white musk perfume from mainstream designer brands.
Sep 7, 2018

Add your review of Eau de Givenchy (2018 version)