Dryad
Papillon Artisan Perfumes (2017)

Overall

About Dryad by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

Reviews of Dryad by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

There are 17 reviews of Dryad by Papillon Artisan Perfumes.

Now this is a gorgeous 10 out of 10 green chypre fragrance that lasts over ten hours on my skin. It is one of the most complex scents I have experienced as there is so much going on.

On the opening I'm getting green hay, galbanum, oakmoss and then these floral parma violets take over. If you remember those parma violet candies as a kid well it smells like that but it's really beautiful. Lot's of earthy forestry smells with floral elements. It's very mossy just how I like my Chypre fragrance's. It really keeps your nose on it's toes so to speak.lol........ Big wow for me with this one, the quality just shines through. Did not think they made them like this anymore but here we are.

After about three hours or so I could pick up more of notes tobacco, iris, furry musk, vetiver and the oakmoss is to die for if you love the accord. Such a mossy warmth infused with the spirit of the forest. lol....... don't mean to get poetic there but if you smell this scent you will know what I mean. It's glorious!

What is very interesting is the constant shifting of the notes upon the skin. Every time you smell the fragrance you can pick up different notes and it constantly changes as time goes by. A example of this is I sprayed my chest and wrist and several hours into the drydown both areas smelled different. The scent from my chest area smelled like fresh iris and on my wrist I was picking up smoky green vetiver. And then nine to ten hours into the drydown it changed again smelling like the drydown of Knize Ten. Giving you sweet powdery floral accord, really heavenly.

All in all this is a fantastic perfume taking you on quite the journey through a enchanted forest as it constantly shifts and evolves on your skin. This fragrance is like a tribute to the old greats like the Guerlains of yesteryear. A massive thumbs up and then some from me. Love it!
Oct 30, 2021

There’s a prominent costus note in Dryad that almost ended up ruining it for me, much in the same way that cumin hijacks Salome and makes it unwearable on my skin. Thankfully, the costus in Dryad disappears after about an hour or so, leaving me with a dry down that is definitely worth the wait, as gorgeous as any of the classical green chypre/orientals, including Magie Noir, Givenchy III, Dioressence, and Paco Rabanne's La Nuit.
Oct 28, 2021

Dryad opens with a slightly sweet, fruity floral orange blossom and apricot focal tandem with underlying smooth orange fruit support before transitioning to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart woody green cedrat melds into the orange lingering from the open, as hay-like herbal deertongue joins green spicy, woody galbanum and mild woody vetiver in support. During the late dry-down the composition completely shifts to a mossy (likely oakmoss and tree moss derived) green late dry-down with little remaining of the previous notes through the finish. Projection is average and longevity outstanding at well over 15 hours on skin.

Dryad smells fantastic. As soon as one applies the perfume on skin a gorgeous orange blossom emerges that quickly morphs into an equally appealing vetiver and galbanum enhanced spicy-woody heart. Quite frankly, this profile I expected to continue through the late dry-down, but the perfume rather surprisingly shifts gears completely, morphing into an equally appealing but all together different mossy-green focal late dry-down that lingers for hours and hours. The mossy-green dry-down definitely contains some oakmoss within, but its smooth facet and seemingly endless duration leads this writer to believe the oakmoss is heavily infused by tree moss. Another possibility is this is a tremendous implementation of the IFRA compliant low atranol oakmoss that has proved unimpressive in so many other compositions. However the perfumer achieved the highly appealing mossy-green base, it is it be commended. The bottom line is the $186 per 50ml bottle Dryad is a fine example of a modern day green chypre that gets just about everything right, earning it an "excellent" 4 stars out of 5 rating, and a strong recommendation to all.
Apr 25, 2021

This is a classic. It's a beautifully well blended everything-even-the-kitchen-sink kind of fragrance. Good longevity, and I got wafts during the day. Then the far drydown on clothes is gorgeous. I can't pikc out a lot of the individual notes, but it doesn't matter since the whole is so harmonious. Love this one.
Feb 27, 2021

Dry green

I put it on. Ah, dry green fougere. Read some reviews. Chypre? I feel like a must be having a tough time distinguishing. Dried down to still a fougere to me. I dont know. I experienced a dry green fractured mossy fougere.
Sep 30, 2020

PAPILLON – DRYAD (2017)

After reading the other Basenotes reviews, I was expecting a mossy green chypre, but my nose tells me this is a very dry leather, the inside of a well-used leather shoulder bag, with hints of its former contents left behind.

It is so light and so dry I can barely detect it. I had to keep making sure the liquid in my sample was actually coming out of the vial, as I couldn’t detect its feel at all.

It’s very hard for me to rate this one, since it’s so ethereal.

My spouse did not enjoy it, finding it to be harsh – a murky, musky green, giving the impression of trying to cover up rotting vegetation with overly sweet florals.

Two entirely different takes. Going with my dry leather impression, I must give it a neutral as it doesn’t really impress. It’s just odd and different, almost a non-scent.

May 23, 2020

Show more reviews of Dryad...

Add your review of Dryad