Drôle de Rose

Overall

About Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan Parfumeur

Reviews of Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

There are 19 reviews of Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur.

Iris, with a root smell. Old-fashioned, nearly a wild rose aroma. Powdery, candied violets. DDR has a jam or jelly type thing going on. It isn't the "usual profile" I frequently experience with these three notes.

It becomes more and more delicate and dry as it wears on. I have smelled perfumes like this before. I own quite a few like this. It's a maiden's ghost pacing about in an old, Victorian boudoir. Been there, done that, love this.
Feb 3, 2019

Drole de Rose was recommended to me as a 'makeup' scented perfume. Indeed the violet and rose do remind me of my grandma's bathroom (in a good way) and it has a slight cold cream scent to it. The iris lends to the powder/compact scent to wrap it up all together.

I'm not a huge fan of powdery iris scents, hence why I cannot stand L'Heure Bleue, but the iris in Drole de Rose does calms down after the first 20 minutes or so of wearing.

Drole is almost a stripped down version of Misia, and the two are very comparable and if hard pressed between the two, I would go with Drole de Rose.
Nov 19, 2017

This is an agreeable, powdery, floral perfume. The opening reminds me of a clean baby, fresh from the bath with warm skin projecting baby bath products. As it develops, the powder fades, and it becomes a more mature floral with the listed notes of rose, iris, and violet seeming plausible, especially violet, giving it a sweet, floral complexity. I've also seen almond and honey listed, which could be adding the edible-smelling aspect. Almond is tricky to pull off, and can go badly. Here, it could be the almond making this a little edgy in the development.
May 22, 2017

A soft powdery vanilla rose.

This reminds me a good deal of Love's Baby Soft, an cheery and inoffensive drug store fragrance aimed at young girls and teen-agers. I get none of the green notes described by other reviewers and the violet does not reach me either.

What others describe as fruity comes to my nose as sweet baby powder vanilla.

Innocent, light and charming.
Feb 25, 2016

A delightful whipped cold-cream rose scent with subtle sweetness. Definitely less sweet than, say, Lipstick Rose with which it shares a retro toilette glamour. Where Lipstick Rose might be worn by a burlesque dancer in fluffy pink attire, Drole de Rose is far more restrained and gentle.

In fact, what it brought to my mind was a little pot of rose-scented cold-cream that belonged to my grandmother. Now please don't go running towards the hills at the mention of grandmothers. It depends on the Grandmother...

Like everyone, I had two of them. One had a belting laugh, questionable hygeine and loved to read Mills and Boon novels, the other was a petite ingenue whose house smelled like a Swedish log cabin filled with flowers. She was a control freak it must be said, but very graceful, and it was indeed she who possessed the small porcelain pot (with little garnets on the lid) whose contents smelled like Drole de Rose, which on first sniff made my eyes fill with tears at the memory of gentle grace and kindness.

This perfume is probably slightly too gentle and graceful for someone like me, with my somewhat dark sense of humour, but I wear it often at home for its soothing effect. It has its own elegance too and is undoubtedly romantic, with a small 'r'. (For the big Gothic 'R', I'd go for 'Portrait of Lady')
Feb 12, 2015

What a Beautiful Green Rose Fragrance!

It makes me feel like born again; it is that good!

If You find it, Get it!

Good Longevity.

Jan 26, 2015

Show more reviews of Drôle de Rose...

Add your review of Drôle de Rose