Douce Amère

About Douce Amère by Serge Lutens

Serge Lutens

Douce Amère is a shared scent launched in 2000 by Serge Lutens

Reviews of Douce Amère by Serge Lutens

There are 49 reviews of Douce Amère by Serge Lutens.

I really thought this smelled like poison at first, the trick is not to smell it the first 10 minutes. After an hour or two it just gets better and better. Maybe I don’t enjoy the initial artemisia blast but it dries down to an lovely vanilla.

I can't improve on the previous reviews except to add the best part from me is the mid and especially the dry down. Longevity is a good 12 hours on my skin.

Lutens' favorite fruits (that dried orange/apricot/cherry mix) on top of some nondescript hazy flowers. The base is that Lutens signature brown sugar gingerbread, but weak enough to not contribute much.

It's interesting to smell a Serge without the challenging notes (no cumin or burnt scallions or any of his other love-them-or-hate-them notes), but I dare say that leaving them out makes Douce Amère a bit boring. It's not bad, but it's just a better-than-average fruity floral.

It doesn't help that this uses Serge's signature metallic lavender, which knocks out my nose, leaving everything a bit weak and indirect. Meh.

An opening of grass, hay and pollen with a hint of absinthe, later developing into a floral drydown of lily and jasmine. A lovely cinnamon adds depth, whilst the base is predictably a vanilla that is here of the highest quality.

This is an elegantly restrained scent with soft silkage and adequate projection, but its restraint belies the superb longevity of eight hours on my skin. For spring at work - elegantly. 3.5/5

On my skin to my nose I first detect the dried candied fruit burst, which is then followed by the powdery chocolate notes. I get no anise at all. Within minutes it dries to a pleasant cedar with the chocolate lurking, as it were, in the next room.

Unremarkable and uninteresting to my taste.

Politely sexy. Incredibly complex.I purchased Douce Amere without ever trying it on myself. My husband and I were in Paris and I sprayed some on him and immediately fell in love...more so on my husband than myself. But I still can't help but spray myself every once in a while when I'm seeking something less sweet than my usual ambers. I Find Douce Amere incredibly complex and sexy.

Show more reviews of Douce Amère...

Add your review of Douce Amère