Reviews of Diorella

Overall

Diorella by Christian Dior

Add your review of Diorella

Reviews of Diorella by Christian Dior

There are 64 reviews of Diorella by Christian Dior.

Roudnitska ripeness is in full effect in his classic Diorella, where the melon is at the precipice of swollen and soft, the peach has zero give when bitten into and so juicy it makes a mess all over you. Limes have been squeezed over salty flesh, and flower petals are in creases and folds, sweaty and plump, just before they recede and bear fruit.

Musky carnation and salacious spice steer Diorella from its fruity citrus opening to a heavenly woody, oily dry down hinting at indecency but still behaving. Its restraint from full on lechery is its brilliance. Are we clean or are we dirty? We are human, we are both, day in and day out, always striving for the former when perhaps leaning into the latter can liberate us now and then.

“Dagmar knew there were worse things in this world than pretending to be a caring, demure woman. For instance, actually being a caring, demure woman.”
― G.A. Aiken, What a Dragon Should Know

Unisex? 100%

If Art Nouveau could be represented by a single scent,it would be Diorella,imo.i love chypre's.Diorella is no exception. Diorella is like a quirky pampered girl among the class of citrus chypre cologne (70's), standing aside alone, watching two popular classmates O de Lancome and Eau de Rochas dancing and laughing aloud in the party.a sophisticated white scarf on a spring day of a classy lady type of smell. Diorella's bouquet is skilfully blended by Roudnitska with texture, balance and form all taken into consideration to capture a realistic still life.Roudnitska is unique,he can do "magic" masterfully mixing citrus notes with fruity notes. preceded by female masterpiece as this one, Diorama or would parfum de Therese.Diorella is well known perfume among royal ladies.very natural and wonderfully earthy.

It is a minimalist perfume and it suggests the summery of a crystalline structure.on other hand, there is a deep sophistication of a silky kind that adds some warmth probably due to it's woody and aromatic segment.the first spritz brings out extremely astringent, bitter accords, citruses and then calms to a green scent.crisp jasmine and honeysuckle are tucked away patiently awaiting a light breeze to carry their glorious scent along with the citrus and peach, while the dry down brings out the oakmoss and grassy notes,and deepened with some crispy fresh vetiver, just enough to keep it from veering into the masculine territory,the austere character remains.it does bring something sparkling to mind,like a gin and tonic which is also bitter.it is definitely an original,as it is so far removed from the floral-fruity types selling today.like walking in from a hot summer afternoon into cool marble flooring and being sprayed with large, dewy rain,so clear.it is Diorella.

Fresh and lightly floral, citrus disappears too quickly for my liking, as the citrus is what is most appealing in Diorella.

On the shores of the Black Sea by Konstantin Alekseyevich Korovin

Classically lovely, the jasmine in this stands out more on me than anything else. I find it quite strong so I can only wear a light wisp of it.

Not much else positive to add that hasn't already been stated. A buddy sent me a sample of some vintage juice. I got a nice blast of bright green and slightly sweet notes on top. The middle is rich with flowers and a touch of vetiver. I could really detect carnation. The base is mild with more rose than anything else. It is definitely "70's" in its style.

Vintage Diorella EDT 1970's.
Opens with an Adelhydic Citrus, Basil and mild Galbanum, Bergamot twist. Here it is reminiscent of the assault of Jubilation 25. A light Peachiness softens.

The Floral Bouquet in the Heart is so well blended and natural that I only recognize what is a slight Indol of Jasmine, which combines later with the Clove and musk to suggest a mild skank. The watery sweetness of the Cyclamen lightens and brightens. A buttery canvas of Oakmoss billows, dimensionalizes and softens all.
A fine base of Sandalwood, Patchouli and Vetiver strike a light accord as base. Vanilla? Perhaps it is tucked in there, however the whole thing speaks a Masterpiece of Elegant Symphonic Art.
To speak of gender is just rude.

A rather minimalist chypre focused on the interplay between a green-tinged bergamot and moss. It's decidedly green, a bit vegetal, and has some funky cumin in it to give it a bit of sweat.

As I'm not a fan of sweaty cumin perfumes, I like it for its greens but don't love it. As an aside, Diorella fanatics should make a point of sniffing Aftelier's Bergamoss, which has a similar green core, but uses an odd but strangely addicting vegetable sparkle instead of the sweaty cumin.

One of the few fragrances that make me go weak in the knees. I have a parfum from the 70s that is pure heaven. Grab one if you can.
Perfect for women and men.

The current formulation of Diorella may suffer from the same lack of depth as all contemporary chypres (such is life after real oakmoss, and we might as well get used to it), but it still has a lot going for it. Everyone seems to think it has been ruined, so why does it still smell so good? I think we should count our blessings with this one; because, from what I can tell, Dior has been pretty careful with Diorella. It may have lost some of its scratchy depths, and if there were ever any animalics, they're gone. But the EdT I'm wearing today is built like a brick house, with its structure intact and its florals singing. It's almost shockingly wearable, and it seems classic rather than dated or old-fashioned. almost aggressively fresh and delightfully tingly.

That unmistakeable opening accord of weird sour lemon-lime soda (Sprite with an accent of Emergen-C packets, really) is one of the most distinctive I know in perfumery; you get it to some degree in Eau Sauvage, but there it's drier and somehow shiner with hedione. I also love the play between the clean zingy citrus, flesht overripe cantaloupe (Cristalle's sits more on the honeydew spectrum), funky old-fashioned jasmine and bitter florist-shop carnation, all held in tension against a backdrop of vanilla, vetiver and a very judiciously used of sandalwood material that reminds me of the base of Chanel's Eau Premiere. All this eventually gives way to its patchouli base, which has been a little scaled back from its glory days (and has less detectable spicy clove), but which still pokes through like a hint of 70s macramé underneath the abundance of buffed and shiny citrus and florals. This textural tension gives Diorella the kind of structure you can bounce a quarter off. It's wound to perfection without seeming tight-arsed or stuffy.

Every time I wear Diorella, people seem to notice it and ask what I'm wearing, which is saying a lot for a perfume that's about as old as I am. Roudnitska took several runs at this idea, but I don't think he ever got it better than he did here. Diorella has more stuffing than Eau Sauvage (even though it's equally light on its feel), more sparkle and good cheer than Le Parfum de Therese (but it's still a smart cookie), and it's more complex and tenacious than Cristalle (even in its current state--and that's up against vintage Cristalle) (and please do not mistake me--I love all three of those perfumes, but I love this one more). It's crisp but not forbidding; and these days, it seems like nobody wears anything like it. I love it as a warm weather/work/daytime scent, but it's a classic that works for any time of day and makes me feel dressed and prepared for anything. Chanel No. 19 does the same thing for me, but some people find it intimidating; Diorella comes off as more relaxed and inviting, and its slightly raunchy jasmine puts a little sway in its step without detracting from its overall sense of chic.

Diorella's freshness, carnation heart and dry base render it nearly androgynous, especially for guys who like things like Insensee and Ho Hang Club. It's also less fleeting than Eau Sauvage. I recently smelled Diorella and ES back to back with a friend who adores Eau Sauvage, and we got the smelling strips mixed up to the point where we couldn't tell which was which until a couple of hours later, when ES was nearly gone while Diorella kept on trucking. If that doesn't tell you that guys can wear this, I don't know what will.

Overall, I think Diorella is wearing just fine these days. As with all reformulated perfume, give it time to open up and breathe before you give up in despair. My bottle has improved significantly over the last two years, with the florals becoming more opulent and the patchouli more evident over time. It may not be exactly as it was, but it's awfully damn good, and it's also proof that somebody at Dior still cares about their heritage--at least for now. If you haven't had a Diorella summer, consider doing it this year.

I suppose Diorella is considered one of the paramount achievements of modern perfumery, from what I read. Although not uncommon, here in Asia it proved difficult to find, so I got a bottle when I traveled to Europe.

I like the current edition. A floral chypre, yes, with citrus and somewhat fruity. But much more than this of course. It is long lasting and changes course throughout its development.

It includes a kind of stale odour which can even be described as body odour (BO), and I have pondered that this might be due to an indolic jasmine, but I don't know of course. Thus the fragrance has an interesting combination of 'freshness' and 'staleness'. I actually prefer the current edition since I have also tried the vintage, but found it to be too 'stale'.

In my opinion it is completely unisex, it doesn't smell much feminine to me.

Genre: Fruity Floral/Chypre

I'm not going to describe Diorella in detail - others here have done it better than I could. What I will say is once it gets past its rather abrasive green-tinged opening, Diorella morphs into a fruity floral fragrance that puts all of today's trite, synthetic, teeny-bopper fruity floral scents to shame. Here the rounded, realistic fruit notes, translucent honeysuckle, and crisp carnation bloom over a brillaintly judged musk and moss base, which through its animalic touch makes this a sophisticated, grown-up women's scent.

Perhaps it's the melon note, but something in Diorella reminds me of another Roudnitska masterpiece: the profoundly beautiful and posthumous Le Parfum de Therese. Le Parfum de Therese is at once more suave and suggestive than Diorella, but the two are clearly sisters. While Le Parfum de Therese was formulated for Therese Roudnitska's private use, I can see Diorella as another venture along similar lines, this time "safer" to accommodate public consumption. At any rate, it's another wonderful scent from one of the greatest masters.

For those who have never experienced Rochas' 1949 classic, Moustache, Diorella will seem like a unique scent. It's not. It's a copy of the earlier Rochas masterpiece.

Lemons, oranges, limes, soured and just to the point of rotting, but not quite there yet. This gives it a typically French "dirtiness" that makes it a ball game all in itself.

Diorella presents a rounder, lighter version of Moustache, and dries down to a warm chypre, which Moustache does not. The Rochas has one note, but it did get there first.

I was going to give Diorella a neutral review due to its lack of originality, but thought better of it since I do want to encourage readers to experience this scent, regardless of whether the source be Rochas or Dior.

Truly unisex in my book and a Dior winner.

perfect chypre i got a sealed late 70s vintage diorella on ebay and i am simply in love with this gem. the current formulation is ok but nothing to get excited about - too citric, too generic. this, however, is a remarkable fragrance: deep moss that floats!, a floral undercurrent that gives it real old school elegance and a very ripe fruit (some say peach, i say whole basket) note that projects & lasts. i really love this and see it being an all-season wonder. moments like opening vintage diorella are what make this expensive hobby so utterly enjoyable. timeless masterpiece....Pros: one of the finest frags i've ever smelledCons: extinct

I love this simple sweet lemonade:-)

I dont know what it smelled like pre reformulation, but now it is nicely balanced sweet, clean scent with lemony character that doesn't go into soar. I was positively surprised by longevity and sillage and how sophisticated this lemonade can be

Naughty bodily, perhaps willfully odd funny girl fragrance but rises above it to typeless and timeless. That melon: so far from the calone-note melon of today, as if they're all silicone implants and the original here was this unbridled gorgeous curve of flesh, totally comfortable with itself in its own skin. The peach and herbs smell still alive, on the tree and vine, though tinged with a decadent voluptuousness, overripe. The citrus too has a subtle dark humor in place of lemon's usual easy smile.

Vitamin tablets, kitchen windowbox gardens, the rippling reflection of sunlight on a pool in a David Hockney painting, the cursive signature of Roudnitska, swimming figure eight laps to eternity--the coda of Diorella's fruit-green-fruit-green structure. Such warmth, so humane, likely more than any other in the typically gruff or pouty classic chypre lineup.

Diorella is confusing to me. When I look at the note composition it seems like a basic chypre structure. Citrus top, floral middle and woodsy, earthy base. For me the citrus top is the smell of citrus disinfectant. Not a lot of heart registers for me at all. But, that said, the drydown of the base is , well, rather glorious!

Said to be the scent of choice for Maggie Thatcher and the younger Lady Di. Lemon balmy citrus underpinned by gentle flowers. Similar to Eau d'Hadrien but less assertive. I love it but my husband despite buying it for me finds it reminds him of toilet block. It's therefore a personal treat

Barely wearable lemon sorbet. Couldnt get any further with it, sadly. Smelled this on a card. Wouldn't want to put this on my skin.

I just read someone else's review of Diorella that said Diorella is "yester yeary" which I love. I will second that. But it's yesteryeariness refers to an odd period of the 1970s, so a part of Diorella is fresh and unisex and free-spirited and citrusy...and in that way, also somewhat current. But, another part of this fragrance is old school perfumey, powdery and even leathery. This thing is really a bit weird, but it takes you on such a classic journey. Very interesting. It works.

I have never been a great fan of these kind of classical chypre perfumes, but I also feel very confidant that I have the ability to appreciate a masterfully made fragrance when I meet one.

Diorella is delightfully decadent, yester yeary perfume with astonishingly heavy feel of class, confidence and mystery. It's very complex and haunting. Somehow it clearly makes me think about the time of season when autumn has just punched the last breath out of summer : Rottening fruits, waxy overripe flowers, damp earth, wet woods covered with brownish moss and other stuff of that kind.

I just recently bought me a bottle of this (blind) - A well restored wavy glass bottle with light blue cap. I presume it's some sort of vintage, and although I don't know the exact time of this version, I know it certainly isn't the latest one.

I don't like to wear this outside myself, but I do enjoy to spray it on my hands from time to time indoors and let my mind wonder in special ways. Generally speaking it is easily unisex though, just don't be too frightened about those piercing aldehydes at the top, they dry down soon enough.

On a side note, I once asked if my girlfriend liked it enough to wear it...Her response with grimacing look on her face : "God, no. It smells awful and awfully cheap."

Diorella is a classic scent, you'd be hard pressed to find anything of this calibre in modern fragrances.

Typical of most chypres, Diorella opens with a citrusy and refreshing burst of Sicilian lemon and bergamot. Adding to the citrus is an interesting blend of green notes and basil which gives this fragrance a herbaceous like quality.

Despite this rather sharp and sour opening, Diorella is extremely feminine and balanced.

The top notes transcend delicately into the heart which is mostly subtle, green and slightly sweet honeysuckle, rose, jasmine and peach. After a while the heart takes on a clean and soapy quality which is a little similar to Miss Dior.

Rounding off this scent is the drydown which is rich, animalistic and woodsy. A masterpiece in my opinion.

Upon your first encounter with this fragrance it may not be love at first sniff, but like so many other Dior fragrances it will certainly grow on you

Chanel Pour Monsieur's long-lost sister, or Anais Anais imitating a classic aftershave? Doesn't matter to me. The shiny aldehydes prevent the powdery notes from becoming any more than an accent (a plus for me). The tart, almost green citruses (plural) strike me as classically masculine. The base is light (otherwise this Would be a masculine, I bet), and gently emerges to round off the sharpness of the opening with an earthy sweetness that I find refreshing in its subtlety. Although technically a fruity-floral, the flowers here I can imagine being sparsely wreathed around the other components - just accent notes to make the top and bottom more dynamic. I find Diorella endlessly refreshing, and place it in my 'If I Were A Woman' hypothetical wardrobe. When summer comes around I might just give this a spin anyway.

Edit: I later began wearing it anyway, and it was well-received (what a subtle melon note!). What really draws me to Diorella is the quiet, underlying funk - some small, dirty secret hiding in the corners. I would like to sample the current version to test its level of mystery.